Ads on Bottom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Hello, I know historically we haven’t had ads on bitog except for the Pennzoil banner. Wondering if these are legit or not, I’m getting them on the bottom of my screen. Also for Berryman’s.

5D35D1CF-0E77-4E13-A836-86D26FF240CB.png

Wondering if these are legit or not
Unless the website has been (gently) hijacked to generate $ from these ads (and the revenue sent to the person(s) that did it) or the site is testing ads, they're "legit".

That's a fair compromise.
I mean, they can't stop people from using ad-blocks (well, they can actually) but it's funny that you decide that what you do is "fair". The site could set it up so that those that donate don't see these ads but, at least at the moment, they don't.

I mean, they can't stop people from using ad-blocks (well, they can actually) but it's funny that you decide that what you do is "fair". The site could set it up so that those that donate don't see these ads but, at least at the moment, they don't.

I'm sorry I left the implied "fair to ME" out of my last post. :rolleyes:

I use Ad-block universally. Why? There are some sites whose ads are out of control!

For those that require me to white-list their site I do so if it makes sense to me. If it's just some click-bait story I couldn't care (much) less about, I decline and move on with my life. For sites like Forbes (off the top of my head), I'll white-list them, as required.

Finally, as has been stated, BITOG is light on ads, so it's not about that for me. I would white-list them in a heart beat if required to do so or if there were any ads that I thought about clicking for them. Instead of going through THOSE motions only to not buy anything from sponsors, affording the site ZERO dollars, I figure $12/year is pretty darned good, considering most name-brand mag subs can be gotten for just this amount.

p.s. if I was required to white-list BITOG *AND* their ads became obnoxious I'd stop contributing and likely spend less time here. It's simple economics. At that point, as you point out, I'd push for a no-ad paid version of the site, which I'd also support. I wouldn't pay Hulu prices to hang out here, but I'd pay a couple of bucks, at most.

p.p.s. @Hall How exactly are YOU contributing the site financially? Do you occasionally click on links AND buy things?

Last edited:
They are legit. We are trying to have the ads be as non-invasive as possible, but still pay the bills.
Thanks Wayne, just wanted to make sure we weren’t being attacked or something. Ads don’t bug me.

I block the ads. I also donate to the site. That's a fair compromise.

Seriously, guys, if you all donated a dollar/month like me we could probably get rid of all ads AND allow the staff to give us the old emojis back - I know I miss them!
True, I’m a site donor as well, a good reminder to donate now.

Ads don't pay as much if they're not clicked on or if a sale doesn't result from that click.

It would be nice to see some sort of metric, say, for how much revenue I personally generate for the site from ads vs what I donate. I honestly can't imagine someone like me, who doesn't lick on any ads, generates a buck a month for the site, but I'd love to be proven wrong and increase my payment!

p.p.s. @Hall How exactly are YOU contributing the site financially? Do you occasionally click on links AND buy things?
When an ad is displayed in my browser, the site gets $. I never click links/ads on any website.

When an ad is displayed in my browser, the site gets $. I never click links/ads on any website.

From what I've read in the past, that amount is not much per person.
Sites LIKELY get more when you click the ad
Sites LIKELY get even more if you make a purchase after clicking the ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back