Adjusting a Parking Brake

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed that with my brake engaged that the car didn't stay put. I had to pull the brake even further for the parking brake to engage. Can I simply adjust the cable in the console or will I need to adjust the ebrake via the rear rotor? Hoping that I can simply adjust the cable under the console rather than removing the rear wheels.

All new brakes and rotor I had installed this week. I didn't adjust my parking brake. So I imagine that is the reason why it needs adjusted. Will it self adjust or do I need to make an adjustment via the rotor or the handbrake? Or will it adjust itself.

Last edited:
Parking brake works, I just need to pull the handle back further for the parking brake to engage.

I think I could better help you if I knew what kind of car and brake system you have.

For drum brakes, the star wheel is supposed to compensate for shoe wear, and determine when the e-brake becomes effective. With the e-brake off, you want a tiny amount of brake drag. Star wheels aren't perfect, that is why they sometimes need adjustment.

Other cars have rear disc brakes with a tiny brake shoe inside. I have often seen the miniature brake shoes fall apart, especially after a recent brake repair. Such systems also have a star wheel adjuster to try to compensate for shoe wear.

Sometimes the problem is that the cable between the e-brake and rear brakes becomes stretched, or one side breaks, making the brake system half as effective as it should be. This problem is more common where there is road salt.

Probably will need to shorten the cable length by tightening up the adjuster a bit. Some can be accessed under the e-brake shroud from within the cabin, while others require access from under the car.

All disk brakes, abs system. New rotors and pads, centric rotors and wagner pads. Parking brake works, but worked better prior to the brake change. I can get it adjusted at working but was hoping for a simple solution. Not a fan of slamming a parking brake for it to reset. Inside pads were in great shape. Just looking for a simple solution, I will ask someone from work to adjust it. Thanks

Is this a Camry with rear disc service brake and drum parking brake? Pull the wheels off and remove the rubber plug from the hat area of the rotors. Reach through the hole using a brake spoon or straight screwdriver to adjust the parking brake.

Yes, disc brake with drum. I know there is a plug was hoping not to have to pull the wheels. I may just have someone adjust the cable rather then pulling the wheels. Thanks

Tightening the cable instead of adjusting at the starwheel is bad mojo. The result is that you reduce the maximum you can apply the parking brake. To achieve the same effect you might just as well leave the parking brake handle park of the way up all the time. You'll still only have to move it a little bit to get some brake apply and keep the car from rolling away on a slight grade.

Hopefully, you'll never need to get much from your parking brake, but if an emergency should arise wherein the normal service brake has failed you will want every bit of stopping power you can get out of the parking brake.

Originally Posted By: bfrey64
Yes, disc brake with drum. I know there is a plug was hoping not to have to pull the wheels. I may just have someone adjust the cable rather then pulling the wheels. Thanks

Both drum brakes should be adjusted. To do it properly both wheels should come off. The ebrake cable is on the rear passenger side in the Corolla.

Originally Posted By: Nukeman7
Probably will need to shorten the cable length by tightening up the adjuster a bit. Some can be accessed under the e-brake shroud from within the cabin, while others require access from under the car.

This, if cable operated there will be a turnbuckle or similar device somewhere on the cable to allow adjustment.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: Nukeman7

This, if cable operated there will be a turnbuckle or similar device somewhere on the cable to allow adjustment.

+2.

There is a screw you can tighten right below the handbrake. Tighten a bit and retest.

Originally Posted By: bfrey64

Doing things the right way now will prevent potential bigger problems down the road.

Probably something with the new rotor is interfering. Either the machining needs to break in or there's preservative cosmolene oil interfering.

I'd do a few slow stop with only the e-brake to try and burn it off/ break it in.

Originally Posted By: Subdued
Parking brakes should be self-adjusting...

The 2001-2005 LeSabre is. But on the 2000 LeSabre, you turn a 16mm wrench on the cable tensioner located directly below the driver's side door under the car. I don't mind because on the 2000 year setup, it's easier to remove the parking brake lever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back