Additives Going the distance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would be your take (mm,mm opinion) on this.
An earlier and even mid 90's car would say in the owner's manual the proverbial 3,000 mile severe service, or 7500 miles otherwise.
I wonder what the newer(est) owner's manuals are saying.
Since we have the new SL classification, and they are tested to "supposedly" go the longest distance of what the individual car makers say in the owner's manual; isn't this kind of like Danny Devito standing next to Shaquile Oneal and both buying the same underwears with the label "Same size fits all."???
Will those additives go the distance for all???
confused.gif
dunno.gif

"isn't this kind of like Danny Devito standing next to Shaquile Oneal and both buying the same underwears with the label "Same size fits all."??? " Hehe; good comparison.
grin.gif

Will those additives go the distance for all??? "

My gut feeling is - Probably not. As we have seen with certain Toyota's, specific engines are pretty tough on oils.

And I seriously doubt the engine makers test all the oils out there; it would be a logistics nightmare to do so.

You've got to wonder. For example, in the base RSX, which is powered by their newest generation of engines, Acura (Honda) specs 5w-20 oil and a 10,000 mile normal service change. And they are only requiring an SH oil.

Could they have done enough testing to ensure there won't be maintenance issues down the road (pun intended).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back