Adding race oil for more zddp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting stuff! I think it's incredible how these components work in engine oils. I want to post some oil analysis on some brews to see how they stack up against good HD oils, even though oil like Delo, rotella and delvac ect. are hard to beat.

Originally Posted By: jake88
I always advise against mixing two oils together - you have no way to predict the way detergent and additives will interact in your oil system. The viscosity will fall somewhere between the two parts, but certain detergents have a way of pulling other additives out of solution if the additive systems are not designed to be mixed.

The zinc is just an effective counter-ion to stabilize the cross-linked phosphorous anti-wear film - and antimony, ammonium, molybdenum can also be effective at this (though MoDTP tends to decompose into MoS2). Also worth noting is that calcium and magnesium detergents have been shown to destabilize the anti-wear film - so I would not recommend an HD engine oil if you decide to tighten up those springs. A typical HD engine oil has higher phosphorous, but over twice the detergents you actually need.

If you want a high-zddp/low detergent oil built for that application, there are plenty of great oils on the market: Champion (full disclosure, I'm their chief chemist), Amsoil, Valvoline, Purple, Red Line, etc.

Jake88 I see that you're from Missouri. Is Champion a Mo company? I haven't really heard of it, unless I just don't remember? Lol

Originally Posted By: HighMileCummins
I always advise against mixing two oils together - you have no way to predict the way detergent and additives will interact in your oil system. The viscosity will fall somewhere between the two parts, but certain detergents have a way of pulling other additives out of solution if the additive systems are not designed to be mixed.

The zinc is just an effective counter-ion to stabilize the cross-linked phosphorous anti-wear film - and antimony, ammonium, molybdenum can also be effective at this (though MoDTP tends to decompose into MoS2). Also worth noting is that calcium and magnesium detergents have been shown to destabilize the anti-wear film - so I would not recommend an HD engine oil if you decide to tighten up those springs. A typical HD engine oil has higher phosphorous, but over twice the detergents you actually need.

If you want a high-zddp/low detergent oil built for that application, there are plenty of great oils on the market: Champion (full disclosure, I'm their chief chemist), Amsoil, Valvoline, Purple, Red Line, etc.

Jake88 I see that you're from Missouri. Is Champion a Mo company? I haven't really heard of it, unless I just don't remember? Lol

Yep, it is in a little town called Clinton - situated between KC and Springfield, near Truman Lake. It used to be "Lowe Oil Company"

Thats awesome, I've been near there myself. And haven't really heard of the Lowe oil company, but how long has it been around? And how can I get my hands on some champion oil? I'm a "buy local" kind of guy lol

Thats awesome, I've been near there myself. And haven't really heard of the Lowe oil company, but how long has it been around? And how can I get my hands on some champion oil? I'm a "buy local" kind of guy lol

I'll PM you - don't want to spam up the board

Using this oil by adding a quart or two isn't any different than adding some unknown for topping off... I'd use it in a heartbeat...

I'll PM you - don't want to spam up the board

Ok, good call. Thanks!

And yeah I figured if I were to try it in the truck, it would be in a low dose, like topping off so it wouldn't hurt, especially at a low oci.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back