Adding oil instead of changing it

I will be doing this on my F150 after my next change.
I use a qt every 1,200-1,500 miles.
No idea where it is going. I have changed the PCV with OEM Motorcraft twice. It does not smoke at all.
My next change I will be putting a Fram Ultra on it (not sure what oil, but probably Rotella Gas Truck) and will only top it off for the next few years (I only drive the truck ~2,500 miles a year). After ~5 years, I will do an oil and filter change.
Ive had Saturn's do this. One burned a quart every 500 miles, with no smoke.
This was due to good compression but poor low tension oil and probably 2nd piston rings. Had good compression so it burned the oil clean, never killed the cat.
I did the same fram ultra, and it was a car that changed its own oil.
Saturn had check and add way before Briggs and Stratton lol.

Sounds like the ideal case for a $15 5qt bottle of ST 10w40. I’d dump the vehicle now instead of later though if you’re going to sell it and you don’t need it now. Used market, especially for SUVs, is stupidly undersupplied at the moment.

Sounds like the ideal case for a $15 5qt bottle of ST 10w40. I’d dump the vehicle now instead of later though if you’re going to sell it and you don’t need it now. Used market is stupid.
There was a guy I knew in college that had some old beater which had been brush painted green with a checkered vinyl top (that had huge rust bubbles underneath). He drove around with cases of the cheapest K-Mart oil in his trunk, he was a commuter student with about a 20-mile drive. He would have to add a quart every day when he was ready to make the drive home.

There was a guy I knew in college that had some old beater which had been brush painted green with a checkered vinyl top (that had huge rust bubbles underneath). He drove around with cases of the cheapest K-Mart oil in his trunk, he was a commuter student with about a 20-mile drive. He would have to add a quart every day when he was ready to make the drive home.
Haha sounds like my best friend and his 77 Nova. It sprayed oil out the exhaust pipe every time he would start it. He kept cases of Super Tech 20W-50 in the trunk and had to add a whole quart every 100 miles or less!!

Presuming a 5000 mile oil change routine (if you did them :ROFLMAO: ), you're replacing 1/2 the oil with new, fresh oil. I'd absolutely just change the filter and keep adding/topping off, especially if you plan to sell it in a year.

Too lazy or not too stupid? …
So, you have a very strong opinion on this, that’s fine - but don’t assume you know who is lazy or not
Is that because you fall into that category?
I have seen some members here state they were too lazy to remove the filter and would leave it on for multiple uses.
And, some would leave it on for multiple uses because the filter was a PITA to get to.
You know what assume means, right? I would have used "SPECULATE" instead. ;) :)

I have seen some members here state they were too lazy to remove the filter and would leave it on for multiple uses.
And, some would leave it on for multiple uses because the filter was a PITA to get to.

Geez.

I don’t fall into any categories …

I've actually heard of people doing this with new cars, I think there's a story or two here on the website. People just keep an eye on the oil level and add when necessary. Kind of scary on a perfectly good car, but it does happen.

We’ve seen some members do all sorts of things. Right?

We’ve seen some members do all sorts of things. Right?
Oh yeah! I'm VERY guilty, and then some!
I know that's what you were referring to. And guess what? I KNOW l have done "ALL SORTS OF THINGS!" But, l have paid for my sins by getting time off! I have LEARNED from my mistakes. Here, and in everyday life!

If it was mine and I was getting rid of it, I think I'd just put one of the long-lasting filters on it and just keep adding. I'd also probably run an additive to see if I could slow the loss - Liquimoly Motor Oil Saver? What about running a higher viscosity oil?

My old boss used to joke that at a full service gas station, Ford owners should say "Fill the oil and top up the gas"!; I guess he was right. :ROFLMAO:

I really should change the head gasket. But an overhead cam engine sitting under the dash like a van, with no doghouse, just doesn't seem like a good time. Oil is cheap! I don't drive it more than 3000 miles a year anyway.

When in doubt, dump it out.

I replaced it all with Havoline HM "synthetic technology" oil (What the hell is that?). Then I was feeling good so I detailed my RX. I only wish it wasn't 90 degrees today.

By the way, I think that vehicle wins the award for the stupidest oil filter location. Does not work good for dudes with huge forearms.

Back