Adding Mos2 in a BMW N54 engine with DI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just changed my oil to my usual fill of Mobil1 0W-40 in the N54. Was thinking about adding some Lubro-Moly MOS2 to help reduce friction etc. Will it be OK in this turbocharged and direct injected engine?

I read that MOS2 is ideal for turbocharged engines but nothing about Direct Injection (worried about mos2 somehow affecting build up on back of valves).

Mobil 1 0W-40 is motor oil made with a proprietary blend of ultra high performance synthetic basestocks fortified with a precisely balanced component system.

•Meets or exceeds the latest OEM and industry approvals
•Is chosen for factory fill in many of the world’s finest vehicles
•Provides excellent overall performance
•Has excellent low temperature capabilities for rapid engine protection at start-up
•Has enhanced frictional properties that aids fuel economy
•Delivers fast protection for reduced engine wear and deposits even in the most extreme driving conditions
•Provides exceptional cleaning power for dirty engines

Originally Posted By: Alext
Was thinking about adding some Lubro-Moly MOS2 to help reduce friction etc.

Was thinking about adding some Lubro-Moly MOS2 to help reduce friction etc.

Does your engine have too much friction?

Or you could just give me your money.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
Couldn't hurt any. They are one of the few companies that sell additives that are respectable.

I don't think it will make any difference to the back of the valves but i cant see it doing much of anything else either.
Before this gets into a pro/anti MoS2 thread let me say i am neither. It was fine back in the day and even endorsed by some manufacturers.

The old engines were different metals with different properties, today we see sinter metal being use in some places and etched aluminum bores.
What is the effect of MoS2 on these materials? I don't have the answer that is way above my pay grade. Infineum has done testing with alusil.

Maybe Molakule can chime in but it appears that a trinuclear moly is preferable and may possibly already be included in the oils add pack.

http://www.infineum.com/Documents/Crankc...logy%202009.pdf

Mobil 1 0w40 is one of the best oils on the market and will have a complete add pack suitable for this engine according to BMW (it meets the BMW spec).
I cant see any benefit in adulterating the M1 with any aftermarket additive for no reason.

IMHO the last thing you want to do is alter the engineered characteristics of these alloys by adding a solid lubricant into the mix. Who knows it might have the opposite effect.
If you were posting about an old 240D or SBC it would be a different story.

The soluble molys are what's wanted, and M1 has it.

That being said, when it comes to heat and pressure, the soluble moly becomes MolyDisulfide.

I add a little (little) as a (in my words, concept, and not a statement of fact) "pre-conditioner".

I know the N54 has cast iron cylinder liners to take the boost and an all aluminium block. Mine runs extra boost so was after a little more protection for the engine.

The N54 takes 7 quarts of oil and I'm thinking of adding the full bottle of Mos2 but you reckon I should add less?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
The soluble molys are what's wanted, and M1 has it.

That being said, when it comes to heat and pressure, the soluble moly becomes MolyDisulfide.

I add a little (little) as a (in my words, concept, and not a statement of fact) "pre-conditioner".

Good to know. Just to clarify [for me] you mentioned you add a "(little)", "pre-conditioner." Would that be Mos2? If so how much to a 5 qt. sump? Thanks!!

This thread is asking the wrong question. If you threw in every additive that "didn't hurt anything," your engine oil would be a soup of mediocre basestocks and mishmashed additivies.

The best thing for an engine is always a properly formulated engine oil, designed from the ground up to have the right additives. Third-party additives should only be used when it is KNOWN that ALL available engine oils are missing something important.

Thus, the question should be, "do I KNOW my engine has a problem that I KNOW this additive will address without causing something worse?" Sometimes, the answer is yes. Until then, there's no better course of action than to use the best available fully-formulated engine oil.

I know the N54 has cast iron cylinder liners to take the boost and an all aluminium block. Mine runs extra boost so was after a little more protection for the engine.

Mobil 1 0w-40 is the spec oil for cars that make a good deal more power than a tweaked N54.

Even if you knew for sure that Mobil 1 0w-40 wasn't cutting it, an additive still wouldn't be the solution. The solution would be a different oil.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Thus, the question should be, "do I KNOW my engine has a problem that I KNOW this additive will address without causing something worse?" Sometimes, the answer is yes. Until then, there's no better course of action than to use the best available fully-formulated engine oil.

+1

d00df00d,
during an OCI, a "properly formulated engine oil" will transition from a handful of chemicals through any number of degradation products, quite a number of which are useful.

The zinc/moly tribofilms aren't the same chemical compound that are in the original oil, but contain a lot of the elements that were.

Would be impossible to design a mishmash of intermediates in any sensible timeframe or cost structure, so the oils start with a handful of known compounds...that change with time and service.

Personally, I think that if you were able to introduce enough of the varying compounds that occur during an OCI in a running engine, that you could make an imperceptibly better product, at a ridiculous price.

The N54 takes 7 quarts of oil and I'm thinking of adding the full bottle of Mos2 but you reckon I should add less?

Okay i was thinking of the aluminum magnesium block.

Mobil1 says its for the following;
•Latest engine technologies including Turbo-chargers, "Direct Injection", Diesels (without DPF) and Hybrids
•High performance engines
•Most operating conditions, from mild to extreme

They say for direct injection use.

I'm going to use this in wife's 2.4 Equinox. Seems the cam chains are shearing oil out of grade. I will also keep adding 4oz Mos2 to the engine. To me 4oz is not going to screw up the oil but will add the plating action I think engine needs help on. I don't know any of this to be fact.....but not that long ago Mos2 was highly rated on this site.

I dont know what's wrong with Mos2 especially from LM. Liqui Moly is respected company with good customer service and can be trusted. Their Mos2 additive (for 5 litres of oil) cost 13 usd in here, which is next to nothing in my books.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Not that the M1 0w40 really "needs" anything, but the MOS2 will work fine in that engine.

+1. It works great in my turbo Forester. Your turbo will love it. It's also great for start-up lubrication.

Did it ever occur to you d00df00d that there are different kinds of oil supplements? There are engine cleaners, moly supplements, etc. In addition, after a motor oil has been in use for a while there is contamination of the motor oil, additives become used up, etc.

If an engine is very dirty, some sort of cleaner or engine cleaning is going to be necessary to keep the engine in operation. And there are various additives, like LM moly, that might reduce engine wear and improve fuel economy somewhat. Nobody has to use any sort of engine supplement. But just quoting something from an owner's manual or a book is not necessarily the final answer. Molakule told a story about how Rislone Engine Treatment helped to correct a problem in his vehicle. That is probably not in a book or owner's manual somewhere.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
This thread is asking the wrong question. If you threw in every additive that "didn't hurt anything," your engine oil would be a soup of mediocre basestocks and mishmashed additivies.

The best thing for an engine is always a properly formulated engine oil, designed from the ground up to have the right additives. Third-party additives should only be used when it is KNOWN that ALL available engine oils are missing something important.

Well stated!

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back