adapters for connecting to RJ45 from USBC

my new dell 16" 5625 i ordered is being built + noticed no direct plug in for my preferred RJ45 plug from my DSL. research shows i need an adapter with pricing from about $10 o $30 + wondering if there are differences except the price + as always thanks for any help as i learn!

The differences:

1)Some have a USB C connector. Some have a USB A connector.
2)Some have blinky lights for link and activity.
3)Some have a built-in USB hub with several USB A ports.
4)Some that have a USB C connector have the ability to charge the laptop by plugging the charger into the adapter. This is called power passthru.

is there a reason you arent using wireless?

otherwise its impossible(other than generically) to tell you the differences without you listing the products you are actually considering.

i DON'T believe wireless anything is totally SAFE including cell phone + especially 5G!!! so much more health issues these days from many sources as cancers rise + especially diabetes from poor foods + overeating IMO!! lots of options on Amazon so i will go midprice from what seems to be decent by description. it looks like the faster USB C is preferred as its shown on Dell etc thanks for reply

my new dell 16" 5625 i ordered is being built + noticed no direct plug in for my preferred RJ45 plug from my DSL. research shows i need an adapter with pricing from about $10 o $30 + wondering if there are differences except the price + as always thanks for any help as i learn!

You mentioned DSL... if you actually have true DSL it's probably not very fast, as DSL tops out at 100Mbps on the latest DSL tech and real world often far less than that. So really any generic USB to Ethernet adapter will be fine. If you are just referring to your wired internet as DSL and have something faster it's going to matter more what you get. If you do buy one, make sure it's at least USB 3.0 and supports Gigabit ethernet so you don't have to worry about it negatively affecting your speed even if you get faster speeds in the future. Something like this will be fine, no need to spend the big bucks: https://amzn.to/3ObR8Ft

What internet plan do you have? What modem/router are you running?

Reactions: Pew
coming from dial up years ago i got a verizon lifetime DSL DEAL for cheap for their "slower" but fast enough for me on the cheap! retired + older + not so fast myself at 75 YO!!!

The one that @dogememe linked would be a good choice. It has another version with USB-C plug for $3.00 more which would be worth it to keep the USB-A ports on the computer open for other older stuff.

thanks Rand, thats what i ordered with a 6A ethernet cable as suggested.

I had a j5create USB-C to USB-A/HDMI/RJ45 all-in-one hub. It worked, but the only issue I had was that it didn't seem to work simultaneously with RJ45 and USB-A devices plugged in at the same time. The USB-A stopped working if actively connected to an RJ45 link. But it was fine if I only needed it to do one thing at a time.

I had a j5create USB-C to USB-A/HDMI/RJ45 all-in-one hub. It worked, but the only issue I had was that it didn't seem to work simultaneously with RJ45 and USB-A devices plugged in at the same time. The USB-A stopped working if actively connected to an RJ45 link. But it was fine if I only needed it to do one thing at a time.

I and a coworker have issues with j5create USBa to RJ45 convertor as well.

Back