Ad Blockers IE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 64bit running win7 running IE-11 and would like a decent ad blocker, free if possible. What do you recommend??

Thanks Smoky

Just use the hosts file. There are plenty of host file examples that block out nearly all the ads, and you don't need any other software to do it.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Just use the hosts file. There are plenty of host file examples that block out nearly all the ads, and you don't need any other software to do it.

I don't have much experience doing this and have a few questions, if anyone feels like saving me some Googling:

1. a) To do this in Linux and Mac, at least, requires root privileges. It's certainly possible to edit one's hosts file but it might be a pain in the butt for a casual user. Is this thing easy to manipulate in Windows?

b) If so, is that not a gigantic security hole?

2. a) Does a party or organization or even an individual offer up a running, up-to-date hosts file, akin to the block lists for ad blockers?

b) If so, is there a separate application that runs to update it or does the user have to continuously re-download and perpetually overwrite their existing file?

c) If not, how does one remain abreast of the constantly dynamic array of domains and IP's that need to be blocked?

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
I have a 64bit running win7 running IE-11 and would like a decent ad blocker, free if possible. What do you recommend??

Thanks Smoky

Ad Block Plus is what I use( Windows 7, 8, & 10 and for IE 11 ). Free, quick and easy to download and install, and it does a very good job.

https://adblockplus.org/

uBlock Origin works well in Firefox and Chrome. I am not sure if it supports inferior web browsers like Internet Explorer, Edge, or Safari.

Originally Posted By: StorminNorvin
uBlock Origin works well in Firefox and Chrome. I am not sure if it supports inferior web browsers like Internet Explorer, Edge, or Safari.

I always wondered if Edge was inferior. So you know this for a fact Norvin?

Please share with us what you know. I'm curious just how inferior Edge is.

Hey everyone..... let Norvin answer this. He seems to be on-top of what's inferior and what isn't.

Last edited:

Looks like Chromium-based browsers (Opera included) and Firefox. It seems it is also in the Debian 9 and Ubuntu 16.04 repositories, too!

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/#installation

Oddly, uBlock, from which the original developer forked to continue as uBlock Origin, posits Safari compatibility:

https://github.com/chrisaljoudi/ublock

Either way, no luck for IE or Edge users.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
I always wondered if Edge was inferior. So you know this for a fact Norvin?

Please share with us what you know. I'm curious just how inferior Edge is.

Hey everyone..... let Norvin answer this. He seems to be on-top of what's inferior and what isn't.

Sure Troll if you like. The answer is quite simple:

Can you run Edge on Mac or Linux? Nope.

Can you run Firefox or Chrome on Mac or Linux? Yes.

Can you run Edge on either an Android or iPhone? Nope.

Can you run Firefox or Chrome on either an Android or iPhone? Yes.

Can you easily install add-ons to Edge? Nope. ( http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/extensions-in-microsoft-edge )

Can you easily install add-ons to Firefox or Chrome? Yes.

There is also this:

So now Triple_Se7en...

Please share with us what you know. I'm curious just how superior Edge is.

Hey everyone..... let Triple_Se7en answer this. He seems to be on-top of what's inferior and what isn't.

I have never used Edge. I use Firefox with Adblock Plus.
My backup browser is Internet Explorer and Adblock Plus runs on it too. On both browsers Adblock runs splendid.

It will work just fine for Smoky too.

Signed
A member here for over 11 years, not one month troll like you.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
I have never used Edge. I use Firefox with Adblock Plus.
My backup browser is Internet Explorer and Adblock Plus runs on it too. On both browsers Adblock runs splendid.

It will work just fine for Smoky too.

Signed
A member here for over 11 years, not one month troll like you.

You need to research what a troll is. Once you do, you will realize your post directed at me was a troll post. 11 years here does not equal more knowledge.

You need to research what a troll is.

My research indicates that rule #1 for a functioning message forum is "Never feed them".
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
My research indicates that rule #1 for a functioning message forum is "Never feed them".
cheers3.gif

True that.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
cheers3.gif

True that.

The reason you trolled in this thread is obvious. When Smoky asked for a adblocker for his IE-11, he did not request your "inferior" web browser comment.

You are new here and this is a board where members here don't normally stir the pot, so-to-speak.

OP Smoky never asked for a web browser recommendation. So please read the next new thread-title and opening post by the OP a little more slowly and carefully, for the lady-owner of this fine website doesn't appreciate pot stirrers..... aka trolls looking to pick fights here.

I stuck-up for the thread title - Smoky's opening comments and offered him a solution for adblocker. So try doing the exact same thing and stick to topic a little better, instead of playing web browser judge and jury.

Prior to your arrival here, member Smoky partaked in similar threads where suggestions on web browser options were presented for him.

Smoky must like IE for his personal use and there's nothing wrong with adding Adblock Plus to it, for better protection against ads. Some of us here offered the correct answers to his opening question. You went a step or two further, possibly inciting a verbal exchange on the pros and cons of various web browsers.

Please start another thread for that. Maybe even a 2nd thread teaching poster UC50 on what constitutes a troll. I am not a troll and my past history here proves it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back