Acura RDX 2.0 Turbo Oil Dilution

Hello,

I own a 2019 Acura RDX 2.0 Turbo and recently read somewhere that oil dilution is a problem with this engine, in addition to the Honda CRV 1.5 Turbo. Someone suggested I pull the oil dipstick and smell it to see if it smells like fuel. I did and I would say it does smell like fuel when I compare the smell to opening a new quart of oil, very different. No real odor to the quart of Amsoil SS. My oil levels in the car motor are normal on the dipstick. The difference in smell from the dipstick to the opened quart of new oil is large and very much concerns me. Anyone have experience/information on the Acura 2.0 Turbo motor and oil dilution/

Thanks

From what It seems, the engines aren't suffering issues despite the plethora of concerns. I view it as what you don't know wont hurt you.

Put your mind at ease and get a used oil analysis done.
Getting the oil analysis and watching your Oil Life Monitor would be a good place to start.

Others on here can recommend where to send your oil.
I'm not sure, but many here do it.

Honda/Acura has been running low vacuum on their PCV System forever. If you remove the oil fill cap and there is no vacuum on it there is the design problem to me. They did this bc it worked 25 years ago but since the evolution of low Tension rings and then they went to thin 20W oil they are overheating the ring pack bc it no longer can seal the heat/blowby on top of the piston.
Hook an Manometer to the Dipstick Tube and you'll find -.2 to -.6inH2O. This is about the same as you taking a breathe sitting at rest. It's not enough energy to sweep the crankcase of the blowby gases(70% HC's) that attack your oil. There are others that do this as well. I saw a list of BMW engines that 7 of 19 have 0.0mbar at hot/idle, these will also have problems and need shortened OCI's and/or synthetic oils. Toyota has one of their 4 cylinders that has the Oil Catch Can built in to the engine. I think it's the AR2FE, many are doing this.
I have a 2010 MDX that I was told would definately have stuck rings. I used a Group IV syn oil and went to 30W instead of the 20W the factory recommended. At 290K miles I don't use any oil bc this went around the problem. I raised the temp that the oil cokes at plus the thicker oil seals the rings better. I assume bc Honda can't have customers draining a Catch Can every 4-6 months they use this as a solution. An engine needs 1 to 3inHg(Mercury) at hot/idle to evacuate the crankcase of the contaminants introduced by blowby for at least 20 minutes(estimate min.) of drive time at temperature.
My daughter in law just took a job 3/4 mile from home, she has a 24 Honda HR-V with the near nothing vac in the crankcase and there's no doubt she'll have problems with OCI's recommended by the dealer. Especially if it's not a high TBN synthetic.
I didn't have an oil consumption problem but I knew there had to be one bc many others were having this problem. I found this low vac and changed my PCV system to operate at -1 to -2inHg at all times plus a Catch Can. The Mini Cooper with a BMW engine also has a reputation as a Sludge Monster, Chrysler has I think a 4.7L same thing. It's not just one brand.
I think every mechanic should check your PCV System with a Manometer($30 bucks) on the Dip stick tube. If it's too high it's stuck open, if there's none it's stuck closed but if it's working fine but low they could set up the OCI to fit the customer.

You can reduce oil contamination by gas by driving the car at highway+ speeds for 30 miles or more on a weekly basis.

I would recommend UOA using Oil Analyzer labs. The smell test is not accurate to detect 4% fuel vs 2%. Sure, if you got 10% you will smell it, but to detect the 2% difference with your nose?

I would not be concerned as misinformation exists and spreads. (I read somewhere….)

You can get a used oil analysis to put your mind at ease with scientific data instead of I heard or read somewhere.

Good luck!

I have a 2018 CRV with the 1.5L that used to suffer from the oil dilution issue, and have done a little bit of research on the issue. From what I've learned, having the oil smell like gasoline does not count as "oil dilution", and is actually considered "normal" for this and most other direct injection engines (from almost any manufacturer).

These engines are designed so that a little bit of gasoline WILL make its way into the oil, but it should evaporate out as the engine warms up. A large part of the problem is when the engine runs too cool to evaporate the oil, and then the oil level noticeably begins to rise. Some people have found 2 quarts of gasoline mixed in with the oil after less than a month, in the early days of this issue. Around the beginning of 2019 Honda released a software update which did a surprisingly good job of solving this issue (at least it did for the 1.5L in my CRV).

My oil does still have a slight gasoline odor, but the level on my dipstick no longer noticeably rises, and I have been assured (and I believe) that this is normal.

I have a 2018 CRV with the 1.5L that used to suffer from the oil dilution issue, and have done a little bit of research on the issue. From what I've learned, having the oil smell like gasoline does not count as "oil dilution", and is actually considered "normal" for this and most other direct injection engines (from almost any manufacturer).

These engines are designed so that a little bit of gasoline WILL make its way into the oil, but it should evaporate out as the engine warms up. A large part of the problem is when the engine runs too cool to evaporate the oil, and then the oil level noticeably begins to rise. Some people have found 2 quarts of gasoline mixed in with the oil after less than a month, in the early days of this issue. Around the beginning of 2019 Honda released a software update which did a surprisingly good job of solving this issue (at least it did for the 1.5L in my CRV).

My oil does still have a slight gasoline odor, but the level on my dipstick no longer noticeably rises, and I have been assured (and I believe) that this is normal.
I have never had used oil not have at least some gasoline smell...never.

Back