Acura: models to avoid?

I still haven’t managed to find myself a used car with an automatic transmission for around $10k or less. I’m seeing some Acuras in that price range but I know nothing about them. Are there any particular models, engines, or transmissions that should be avoided? Any that are considered particularly desirable?

In terms of desired characteristics I value reliability over anything, followed by fuel economy, so my preference is for FWD and smaller engines if that matters.

I still haven’t managed to find myself a used car with an automatic transmission for around $10k or less. I’m seeing some Acuras in that price range but I know nothing about them. Are there any particular models, engines, or transmissions that should be avoided? Any that are considered particularly desirable?

In terms of desired characteristics I value reliability over anything, followed by fuel economy, so my preference is for FWD and smaller engines if that matters.
Avoid the 2010 on up 3.7L due to Oil burning, if the ring replacement was done might be ok. Avoid the early ZF-9 speed transmission on them.

Go to an Acura forum and see what the common problems are for the year you are looking for. All cars have problems, an older car with lots of electronics do tend to have a lot of electrical gremlins. If you are not handy diagnosing
could be expensive.

Good Luck

If I recall the RDX did not get stellar reliability ratings. I might stay away from models with the 9 speed transaxle (ZF unit).

Avoid the 2010 on up 3.7L due to Oil burning, if the ring replacement was done might be ok. Avoid the early ZF-9 speed transmission on them.
21 Pilot here. No issues with the trans, supposed to be worked out by now. No issues with oil burning either, only 25k miles though.

Why not entertain Honda models as well?

21 Pilot here. No issues with the trans, supposed to be worked out by now. No issues with oil burning either, only 25k miles though.

Why not entertain Honda models as well?
The Pilot has the 3.5L not the 3.7L and yes the newer 9 speeds are fine. That is why I said early models.

2007-2008 TL.

3.2L J Series (NON VCM)V6 that will get you mid 20's on the highway or better depending on how you drive. They're basically an Accord underneath with a bit bigger motor. The 5 speed AT was upgraded in that time frame and is a solid unit as opposed to the fragile glass hand grenade the previous one was. The one big thing that hurts their resale is the leather seats. They used perorated leather, so when they dry out a little they start tearing like punched paper. That and pretty much all of the dashes crack. I have a cover on mine that I'm completely happy with and I don't have to see the cracks.

Same time frame TSX's are solid cars as well. Hard to beat the K Series motor, if you can find either one that hasn't been beaten to death they, are solid cars as long as the routine stuff is taken care of.

Picture from my TL Type-S a few years back that has the bigger 3.5 engine. Drove across the top end of FL, got gas, got on the interstate and didn't stop till the kiddo had to use the restroom. My MPG calculator on that car was always pretty accurate, I'd hand calculate it, but they always matched. Three people and loaded down for a week vacation. No tricks, reset when I left the gas station, and took that pic when we got ready to leave the rest area.

As far as particuarly desirable, the TL Type-S's are getting rare, kids are wrecking them left and right and they only made them 2 years. They also tend to be a little rough and lead harder lives sometimes.

The TSX Wagon is a fairly rare beast as well if you're in to station wagons, I've always liked it and they seem to hold their value better over the sedans.

IMG_20161011_175104813.jpg

Last edited:
Avoid whatever generation TL this is. My old man had one, stuff broke on that car that I didn't even know could break. It also ate transmissions like kids eat Halloween candy. The car was such a lemon that the auto dimming rear view mirror leaked fluid that dripped onto the gated shifter and melted it.

images.png

My wife drives a 2016 RDX we bought new and now has 105,000 miles. It just had the timing belt service and spark plugs. The 3.7 doesn't use a drop of oil despite all of the dire warnings about the dreaded VCM. I change the oil at about 85% on the OLM with Castrol Edge and a Fram Ultra 7317 (still have a stash of OG Ultras) and do a 3 quart fluid change about every 20,000 miles on the 6 speed transmission. The car has been flawless, needing only a battery, air & cabin filter, and new front rotors because of brake shudder (like every Honda I've had.)

Maybe look for a toyota lol. But in all honesty the transmission would be my main concern as hondas are not known for steller automatic transmission reliability.

Avoid whatever generation TL this is. My old man had one, stuff broke on that car that I didn't even know could break. It also ate transmissions like kids eat Halloween candy. The car was such a lemon that the auto dimming rear view mirror leaked fluid that dripped onto the gated shifter and melted it.

View attachment 152171
That's a pre 2004 car. They weren't great for sure.

Maybe look for a toyota lol. But in all honesty the transmission would be my main concern as hondas are not known for steller automatic transmission reliability.
They sorted out those problems after 2006. The 5 speeds from there on are 4 shaft units and make it way past 200k with ease (provided you maintain them).

Back