Acura J35 recall - bearings

Looks like this may be a pricey one for Honda depending on how many vehicles end up needing service. I'm curious as to why older TLXs are included but not MDXs like mine, and I wonder if this will extend to some Odysseys, Pilots, and Ridgelines too. I've heard of this being a periodic issue but now Honda is owning up to it.
1699622029631.png

1699622070040.png

My 2020 MDX is subject to this recall. Received a Carfax alert yesterday and then my local dealer proactively reached out. Parts aren’t available yet, so this is a wait and see.

I’ve seen reports come up for this on the TLX forum. It’s not frequent, but a few here and there.

It’s not clear what the fix is. Is there an inspection involved and then repair as needed?

Multiple pilots. Ridgelines and Oddys are also affected. Waiting to see if my ‘16 Pilot is affected. I guess this explains low load/rpm rattle I’ve been hearing all along.

Last edited:
It’s not clear what the fix is. Is there an inspection involved and then repair as needed?
The letter tells dealers what to tell customers with affected vehicles - they need to do an inspection and possibly replace parts. It was a machining error (maybe tool wear) so odds are plenty of parts are just fine but some (and enough to get noticed) got past their inspection checks at the machining step. A dealer tech will measure the relevant parts and determine they need replaced or they're fine.

My 2020 MDX is subject to this recall. Received a Carfax alert yesterday and then my local dealer proactively reached out. Parts aren’t available yet, so this is a wait and see.

I’ve seen reports come up for this on the TLX forum. It’s not frequent, but a few here and there.

I would assume the fix is a new crankshaft, main and rod bearings.

I wonder why the RDX is excluded. It has the same 3.5 V6 as the MDX.
Can ask also why the 2017 Pilot isn't included yet the 2017 Ridgeline with the same J-35 engine is. Perhaps different machine facilities or equipment used on those during manufacturing? It is strange the skipping of years on the different models with the "same" engines. The recall/stop sale is being limited to certain VIN numbers so there must have been some type of tracking used to know which engines may have been affected.

Perhaps different machine facilities or equipment used on those during manufacturing?
I think they're all built in Anna OH. Actually, looks like they're built in Alabama too which makes sense 'cause that's where they assemble Odysseys and other larger models.

Could also be simply a different machining center to blame. They won't have just (1) CNC machine in a plant cutting all of those parts. I'm impressed that they know by the VIN which engines have which crankshafts that were machined on a specific CNC. I'd think they crank (no pun intended) out dozens per shift that end up in a crate to be moved to the engine assembly line.

I am curious what the recall procedure entails. If it is one where they perform an inspection only, I'd be inclined to not have it performed.....for as long as possible.

Multiple pilots. Ridgelines and Oddys are also affected. Waiting to see if my ‘16 Pilot is affected. I guess this explains low load/rpm rattle I’ve been hearing all along.
Yep, that was what I was trying to tell you in a previous thread.

My '14 Odyssey had a low rpm rattle under load 1600 to 2000 rpm range. I gave up trying to chase the issue looking for loose bolts and suspecting transmission issues.

Issue disappeared after I did the timing belt service last week. Turned out to be the timing belt tensioner that was beginning to fail.

I would assume the fix is a new crankshaft, main and rod bearings.
For the vehicles that haven't experienced failure yet, I'd guess the fix is a service-size bearing that allows for proper clearance.

Unless the crank problem is an out-of-round issue.

Look I have built my own engines, swapped cams, heads, rear ends and complete engines. No way on gods green earth am I letting some dude at the dealer ship do an inspection and putting it back together with original parts if it looks good. So no parts yet? I am guessing crank, mains and rod bearings? I have never had anything like that on ANY car I have owned. This one blows my mind.

Edit: That isn't to say it can't be fixed properly, just I don't think pulling the bottom end apart for inspection to not replace anything is not the route I would want to go.

Last edited:
My 2020 MDX was running perfectly. The dealer inspection revealed I NEED A NEW CRANKSHAFT at 37K miles. I reviewed the instructions and it is hard to believe any dealer can correctly do this repair. I am the first car they found needing this work. Fortunately, it is a leased vehicle and back it goes in July! When the repair hits CarFax, the value will plummet so I'm not going to purchase the car. They should really replace this with a long block, or buy back the car.
Read this and you'll see how this is bad news.

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B24-001.PDF

Back