Acura Factory Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Danh
Being in the market for a new car I've been perusing 2014 Honda (and other) Owners' Manuals on line. As far as I can tell, current Honda manuals make no mention of leaving the factory fill in the engine for a specified period of time. In fact, the manuals don't seem to mention a break-in process/period at all.

So the prior firm advice to leave the factory fill in 'til the IOLM hit 15% may be a thing of the past.

Honda Accord page 489 thru 493 Maintenance Minder tells you about Oil and filter change.

Page 423 Break-in Period

Avoid towing a trailer during your vehicle's first 600 miles (1,000 km).

Page 433 Precautions while Driving

During the first 600 miles (1,000 km) of operation, avoid sudden acceleration or full throttle operation so as to not damage the engine or powertrain.
Avoid hard braking for the first 200 miles (300 km). You should also follow this when the brake pads are replaced.

at 3min 45:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXVLbzI3xTE

I think most engines are casted with a lost foam process now (GM for example, not sure if they licensed out the tech).

I don't work at an engine factory, but I don't think anyone ever blew an engine by changing the FF out early.

It pretty much means if it feels right, neither method is wrong.

If the factory oil filter has a tear in it that would be unlucky I guess.

And I don't recall seeing a "leave the factory oil fill in until OLM reads 15%" either...

Someone should post that... That would be nice to finally read.

I can finally guffaw at myself for my OCD nature I guess!

(Or I can join these guys: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/54-2011-odyssey/180786-2014-first-oil-change.html)

I think people are taking rumors and saying, "Well, Honda engineers said...".

Well, those same engineers, at Honda and many other car manufacturers, are admitting they were wrong about the crazy long OCIs that the OLM was giving... And they revised the numbers downwards for shorter OCIs.

Due to ENGINE DAMAGE.

Just saying.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back