Actual bad UOA’s you’ve had?

Just curious as to what actual bad UOA’s y’all have had in all the times you’ve sent your samples off to be checked.

I’ve currently got Magnatec 5W20 in my Ranger than I plan on running out to 5k then sending a sample in to Blackstone to see what they say. It’ll be my first sample sent.

Edit: I’m currently at 1k miles on the Magnatec this OCI*

In 2007 had a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 and 0331 head. It was leaking coolant into the oil and Blackstone's analysis caught it.
I've had same situation, different engine. GM 3.8L in a Lesabre, famous for issues with plastic upper intake. It had beautiful honey colored oil. Lab report from Horizon said 444
ppm sodium; antifreeze leak which I investigated, found and repaired immediately. I told several friends, there's not a Mr. Goodwrench mechanic in the nation who could've pulled that dipstick and said, "Gee, high sodium, you've got a coolant leak."
This has happened to me twice; the engines could have hydro locked and grenaded. I honestly believe the UOA has saved me two (otherwise great) engines.

Edit: I will be doing UOA for the rest of my driving days, and nothing anyone can say can talk me out of it. My cars, my money, my choice.

Last edited:
I'd use UOA to see how the motor is doing, not necessarily how the oil is holding up after 5k miles. Magnatec 5W20 is a good oil and will serve you well. The chances of any API full synth at 5k mile oil change intervals causing engine damage by oil related issues is remote in the extreme.

I don't think it is still made, but Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5w-30. 5000 miles in my old Sport Trac. Wear metals were very high and Blackstone said I shouldn't run it longer than 3000 miles. Put regular Mobil 1 back in and it was fine.

This is was from my '91 Nissan hardbody. It was sitting in a barn for 4.5 years beforehand. I took this sample just for fun, knowing it was going to be atrocious.

11-12-2020 Unknown Oil Initial Barn Sample.jpg

I've had same situation, different engine. GM 3.8L in a Lesabre, famous for issues with plastic upper intake. It had beautiful honey colored oil. Lab report from Horizon said 444
ppm sodium; antifreeze leak which I investigated, found and repaired immediately. I told several friends, there's not a Mr. Goodwrench mechanic in the nation who could've pulled that dipstick and said, "Gee, high sodium, you've got a coolant leak."
This has happened to me twice; the engines could have hydro locked and grenaded. I honestly believe the UOA has saved me two (otherwise great) engines.

Edit: I will be doing UOA for the rest of my driving days, and nothing anyone can say can talk me out of it. My cars, my money, my choice.
I just , today received my very first package of OSA kits from Blackstone. I had used Amsoil for OSA years ago when I started to use their oil in my 2009 Honda Accord 2.0. So now I have a 1.5 Di Turbo that I am on the 2nd or 3rd oil change using Shaeffer's that I have decided to have tested. I went with the Shaeffers after reading about the additives in their oil.
I have been convinced by some good , smart folks on BITOG that I really need a couple OSA done so I am not guessing how the car is doing especially with the fuel dilution issues. I chose Blackstone cause I did not want to use any specific oil company for my OSA testing. Looking forward to shipping off once I get some more miles on my oil.

back in 2010 i bought a cutlass ciera 3.3 v-6 with 34k miles on it , for 200 bucks. It had bad flat tires, a cracked windshield and had been sitting under and oak tree for 3 years undriven.

I got it to run, it was hard to turn over. Since i was able to start it, i bought tires, a windshield , did the brakes, and drove it another 100k or so as a drive to work car. I had about $1000 in it. I did a uoa at 1800 miles to check for coolant( just to check the head gaskets). Had a lot of iron, that i assume came from flash rusting of the cylinders and or oil pan. Never did another uoa.
IMG_20211105_212613410.jpg

Last edited:
Second bad one was on our mazda with 7300miles, 4500 on the oil. At that time my wife drove 8 miles to work and 8 miles back. The oil level was climbing on the dipstick. Mobil 1 0w-30.

It was short trip DI fuel dilution. I now run M1 0w-40 euro in the winter.
IMG_20211105_213523638.jpg

IMG_20211105_214308183.jpg

Sorry first pic was off my printer in B+W, fuel dilution number did not show.

Last edited:
My old Santa Fe came back with a high silica count because of a cheap aftermarket air filter and my current Sonata hybrid came back with fuel dilution.

No bad reports.
They will tell you:
1. Engine is great, never change oil
2. Engine is fine, check back in two week
3. Engine oil has some iron, probably due to the previous OCI
4. Engine has some wear metals, send another sample in 3 days (we love you samples ($$)), but be sure to continue to use the same oil

Second bad one was on our mazda with 7300miles, 4500 on the oil. At that time my wife drove 8 miles to work and 8 miles back. The oil level was climbing on the dipstick. Mobil 1 0w-30.

It was short trip DI fuel dilution. I now run M1 0w-40 euro in the winter.
View attachment 76623
View attachment 76625
Sorry first pic was off my printer in B+W, fuel dilution number did not show.
Have you had another analysis done since using the M1 0w40 and if so what was the result?

Have you had another analysis done since using the M1 0w40 and if so what was the result?
I have not done another. My wife works from home now, same job, just home office since covid, so not as many short trips. I'm sure with less short trips the uoa would be better. But still , even with the engine getting hot enough to vaporize the fuel, its still getting in there, can't be good.

So i do a 2k winter oci with the 0w-40. I may pull one before the next change, but the driving habits are now not the same as when i drew that sample.

I have not done another. My wife works from home now, same job, just home office since covid, so not as many short trips. I'm sure with less short trips the uoa would be better. But still , even with the engine getting hot enough to vaporize the fuel, its still getting in there, can't be good.

So i do a 2k winter oci with the 0w-40. I may pull one before the next change, but the driving habits are now not the same as when i drew that sample.
That report looks excellent for a an engine wearing in - even with the few oz of gas in the sump. If you went to a 40 grade there should be no need to do a severe 2K mile OCI. I should talk, though, as my car ran hot and ate a quart of oil in a week for some odd reason, so I did an early OCI as the oil looked like garbage on the dipstick with black carbon flakes and bad fuel smell. It looked even worse when I drained it. I don't know if that helped because the different brand oil I put in didnt improve things.
Why do manufacturers implement DI if ts obviously unproven in many cases and it doesn't seem to help anything?

I have been convinced by some good , smart folks on BITOG that I really need a couple OSA done so I am not guessing how the car is doing especially with the fuel dilution issues. I chose Blackstone cause I did not want to use any specific oil company for my OSA testing. Looking forward to shipping off once I get some more miles on my oil.
Okay but Blackstone is not the place to go to determine fuel dilution. Their indirect method has been shown to be inaccurate, sometimes wildly. Pick a place that uses gas chromatography to determine dilution.

This is was from my '91 Nissan hardbody. It was sitting in a barn for 4.5 years beforehand. I took this sample just for fun, knowing it was going to be atrocious.

View attachment 76606
I like how professional that report is. Very good and informative for every day (non professional) motorists or whoever.....
Okay but Blackstone is not the place to go to determine fuel dilution. Their indirect method has been shown to be inaccurate, sometimes wildly. Pick a place that uses gas chromatography to determine dilution.
Suggestions? I don't want to waste my time and money on Blackstone to then not get the type results I am looking for.
I know Amsoil still does the OSA yet do not know what they provide. I suppose I will have to call any OSA service company.
Ask specifically just what tests and results I can expect to receive back from them. I am a bit surprised that these places
would not have and use GC machines. I know they are expensive but most labs I been around have had them.
Thanks for the heads up on Blackstone.

I had a 2008 Nissan Sentra with the 1.8L. UOA showed coolant getting into the oil. That was a noticed that I needed to do something about the danger of ruining the engine. It was Blackstone that showed it. I had the master gasket replaced. It definitely paid to have that UOA done.

Back