Acetone Fuel Additive Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by boxcartommie22:
update on my gas mileage on my 98 continental 32v intech..old mpg 13.25
after acetone it is now 20.5 mpg...next i will doe my 98 expy.

Yeah Okay!

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
How many miles were you towed?

quote:

Originally posted by 97tbird:
BlazerLT,

Apart from the MPG increase, did you notice any other changes in the driveability? (anything strange/abnormal/new)

Actually, yes, I have.

A lot of the bog is gone when accelerating, going up hills etc..

Seems to not want to downshift going up hills anymore. It just plows up them in overdrive.

Even my gf notices. And trust me, I don't believe in butt-dynoes.

Just to be the devil's advocate here. If very small amounts of acetone dramatically increase fuel economy, why isn't it already blended into gasoline?

quote:

Originally posted by MikeR:
Just to be the devil's advocate here. If very small amounts of acetone dramatically increase fuel economy, why isn't it already blended into gasoline?

Who knows....
dunno.gif

But hey, if we can add it and get better economy, more power to the people.

More information from a Ph.D chemist in the oil industry

Fact number one: Acetone is more dense at 25C (room temperature) than gasoline. That means it will sink if not dissolved, not float. There is no planet in the solar system in which acetone will float on either iso-octane, octane, heptane, or hexane, the properties of which are the best approximation of gasoline for which I can easily find numbers.

Here are the densities of these materials at 25C from:

http://www.simetric.co.uk/si_liquids.htm

and the Merck Index, 10th ed.

If someone had bothered to look these numbers up, they would find the same thing, since everyone seems to agree with these numbers to this precision.

Density in g/mL at 25 deg C

iso-Octane 0.69190
Octane = 0.7028
heptane = 0.67950
hexane = 0.65483
Vehicle gasoline = ~ 0.74
Acetone = 0.78458

Gasoline is a mixture of things and has a density of around 0.74 g/mL (according to the link above), but there is no real number since formulations vary.

The greater the density, the more something will tend to fall to the bottom of a mixture.

The second fact is that it really doesn't matter what the relative densities of acetone and gasoline are, because they are very soluble in one another. Acetone is very soluble in these hydrocarbons, and even more so in aromatic hydrocarbons (for example toluene or benzene). It is considered miscible in most aliphatic hydrocarbons ("miscible" meaning soluble in all proportions - never able to separate) like hexane, heptane, iso-octane, and octane. That makes it a bet-your-*** sure thing that it will dissolve in gasoline totally at the concentrations that are proposed for its use in gasoline, since gasoline, with it's aromatic hydrocarbons and other additives, is considerably more polar than the pure hydrocarbons that are useful for comparative purposes.

I have a proposal for anyone here:

Take a camera and some pure-as-possible acetone and gasoline and show the two in separate glass containers in any proportion you want and then take a picture of you mixing them, then stirring them, then the end result. Post the pics. Unless there is water in the acetone, the result will be a clear solution that will never settle or separate.

Finally, from my experience in running reactors sealed with O-rings, the low level of acetone in the gasoline, as proposed, will not harm gaskets or O-rings unless they are made from something extremely sensitive to acetone, like polycarbonate (which is ridiculous). The activity of the acetone at these concentrations is 1/500 less than pure acetone (6 oz in 19 gal).

I have used 3oz per 10gal over the last 3 tanks with no change in economy or power on two of my vehicles.

This was calculated during my commute to work and back which is 120 miles round trip with cruise set at 72 mph.

Maybe my cars (Pontiac Grand Prix GTP and Ford Explorer 5.0) just dont respond to acetone...
dunno.gif

All the power to those that see a difference. Im done with it.

quote:

Originally posted by SMILEY:
I have used 3oz per 10gal over the last 3 tanks with no change in economy or power on two of my vehicles.

This was calculated during my commute to work and back which is 120 miles round trip with cruise set at 72 mph.

Maybe my cars (Pontiac Grand Prix GTP and Ford Explorer 5.0) just dont respond to acetone...
dunno.gif

All the power to those that see a difference. Im done with it.

I appreciate you trying this and you are right, some people don't see an improvement.

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:
Well, if everyone was around a while ago, the big thing for saving fuel was to add 3oz of acetone to every 10 gallons of gas in your fuel tank.

I said what the **** and I introduced 6oz to my 19 gallon tank and recorded the difference.

I travel the same routes all the time and all driving is similar to the last tank.

Here are the results:

City Fuel Economy Before: 13.7mpg

City Fuel Economy WITH ACETONE: 16.8mpg

This is ridiculous.
shocked.gif

Discuss amongst yourselves.

It is a very bad idea to use acetone in your fuel because it will destroy all the rubber parts in your fuel system.

Please read the whole thread and not just respond to my first post.

At a 0.234% concentration, acetone will NOT harm anything rubber or plastic or metal in your fuel system.

Your fuel has 15% toluene and xylene and they are EXTREMELY hard on rubber and will eat it.

I say again, 0.234% acetone will cause no harm and it will NOT hurt a single thing.

lubedev.com ,click on "articles", click on "acetone in fuels" recommends trying different gas companies fuels and 'tweaking' your acetone adds but the graph shows that 3 oz/10 gal is about the optimum. Seems like he has done a lot of the footwork for us. Blazer got good results.
P.B.

*Disclaimer- the following response posted by me Airborne Ranger may not make any sense at all, I'm just in the mood for being funny. In my dimented mind, it makes perfect sense*

I see Acetone as like the energizer bunny. Supposedly because Acetone gives you better gas mileage it just keeps going and going and going and going.

Scenario: You Race some hot shot in a Camaro, Firebird, Geo Metro or whatever. He's running Toluene, Xylene. Go fast solvent. Your running Acetone. He blows the motor because of too much go fast solvent. You go back, be a smartass right back by running circles around his car talkin ****. After that, you offer to tow his car back. You started out with 1/4 tank, you raced him, towed his car for x amount of miles and you still got 1/4 tank, wow(ben stein impression) Hence I mean it just keeps going and going and going and I'll be quiet now,,,,,AR
grin.gif

Acetone, helps gasoline atomize better, according to a friend of mine who is an engineer. I have used Acetone for along time, it works, and as for plastics in the fuel tank I soaked a plastic fuel screen from my 86 F250 fuel tank over night and it was fine. With actone sometimes less is better, I have used anywhere from 1oz/10gals - 3oz/10gals.

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:
Please read the whole thread and not just respond to my first post.

At a 0.234% concentration, acetone will NOT harm anything rubber or plastic or metal in your fuel system.

Your fuel has 15% toluene and xylene and they are EXTREMELY hard on rubber and will eat it.

I say again, 0.234% acetone will cause no harm and it will NOT hurt a single thing.

I don't believe it. Keep using it and let me know how long before the problems start?
128.gif

Those that are testing it in city driving are not getting an accurate reading because the conditions are not always the same. You have to test it on the highway say at 70mph with cruise on for 50 miles. There and back and take the average. Before that of course you must see what it is without the acetone. Plus you need some kind of electronic mileage device like a scangauge to accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back