Acea A3/B4 5W-30 recommendation for cold weather (-5 degrees Farenheit)

Hi. I have a 2006 Audi A3, which needs the Acea A3/B4 spec oil. Where I live, it gets to -5 degrees below zero in the Winter, and 90 degrees Farenheit in the summer in the north east US.

So cold flow is important. I watched some cold flow tests on youtube, where the oil is frozen for 24 hours at below 0 degrees Farenheit and then they test how well it flows. Unfortunately the Castrol Edge ACEA A3/B4 5W-30 in 5 quart jug from Walmart for $27 (which I was almost deciding on using)
was very slow flowing compared to the other oils.

I would rather go with A3/B4 rather than C3 due to A3/B4's higher phosphorus anti-wear additive.
I'd also rather stay with a 30 weight oil if possible for greater flow in cold weather.

Would anyone know if there is anything in the Acea A3/B4 spec regarding cold weather flow?

Also, which Acea A3/B4 oil would you recommend for below 0 degrees Farenheit winters?.

Thanks

What illustrates pumping and cranking is the winter rating not the ACEA sequence. Flow is not an issue here. If it can be pumped it will flow. The YouTube videos are not representative of what happens in your engine and add nothing. Grade is also meaningless with this sequence since they all meet a minimum HT/HS.

At 0F a 10W, a 5W and a 0W winter rating are all appropriate. Since you’re slightly below that then use either a 5W or 0W rated oil. Either one will make no difference at that temperature.

Last edited:
Hi. I have a 2006 Audi A3, which needs the Acea A3/B4 spec oil. Where I live, it gets to -5 degrees below zero in the Winter, and 90 degrees Farenheit in the summer in the north east US.

So cold flow is important. I watched some cold flow tests on youtube, where the oil is frozen for 24 hours at below 0 degrees Farenheit and then they test how well it flows. Unfortunately the Castrol Edge ACEA A3/B4 5W-30 in 5 quart jug from Walmart for $27 (which I was almost deciding on using)
was very slow flowing compared to the other oils.

I would rather go with A3/B4 rather than C3 due to A3/B4's higher phosphorus anti-wear additive.
I'd also rather stay with a 30 weight oil if possible for greater flow in cold weather.

Would anyone know if there is anything in the Acea A3/B4 spec regarding cold weather flow?

Also, which Acea A3/B4 oil would you recommend for below 0 degrees Farenheit winters?.

Thanks
Were the cold flow test videos on YT from Project Farm? :geek:

I would rather go with A3/B4 rather than C3 due to A3/B4's anti-wear additive.

Who told you A3/B4 and more ZDDP is advantageous over C3?

I'd rather run a VW 504 00 though. That's what I did when I had an EA113, that's
what I do on my current EA888 3G today. Never had any engine related complaints.
Either M1 ESP 5W-30 or Ravenol VMP 5W-30 or REP 5W-30 if doesn't need to come
with VW 504 00. Just my take on that matter.

[QUOTE="I Were the cold flow test videos on YT from Project Farm? :geek:
[/QUOTE]
Yes, Project Farm and a few other you tube channels too. On 1 channel, the Castrol didn't even flow at all and the guy stuck a screw driver in it at the end of the video and the screwdriver was stuck in the frozen oil and the guy laughed and said this is the classic "stick in the mud". The Amzoil it was being compared against flowed just fine. I know these tests might not simulate real world oil flow properties, but the vidoes might be an indication of certain brands of oil using formulations which don't flow well in the cold.

Last edited:
Who told you A3/B4 and more ZDDP is advantageous over C3?

I'd rather run a VW 504 00 though. That's what I did when I had an EA113, that's
what I do on my current EA888 3G today. Never had any engine related complaints.
Either M1 ESP 5W-30 or Ravenol VMP 5W-30 or REP 5W-30 if doesn't need to come
with VW 504 00. Just my take on that matter.

I meant the higher phosphorus in full saap A3/B4 oils. It was my understanding C3 set limits on some anti-wear additives because they were harming diesel exhaust system filters on newer vehicles. So it was my assumption (please correct me if I am wrong), that a full SAAP A3/B4 will have more anti-wear additives and theoretically the potential for less engine wear than a C3 in a gasoline engine. Would that potential for more engine wear with C3 versus A3/B4 be measurable (probably no).

Yes, Project Farm and a few other you tube channels too. On 1 channel, the Castrol didn't even flow at all and the guy stuck a screw driver in it at the end of the video and the screwdriver was stuck in the frozen oil and the guy laughed and said this is the classic "stick in the mud". I know these tests might not simulate real world oil flow properties, but the vidoes might be an indication of certain brands of oil using forulations which don't flow well in the cold.
What was the winter rating on the Castrol product in this video?

Brand is also irrelevant here. But of course people keep trying. Flow and all, you know.

What was the winter rating on the Castrol product in this video?

Brand is also irrelevant here. But of course people keep trying. Flow and all, you know.
It was the regular Castrol 5W-30 (not the A3/B4 version) versus Amsoil Signature Series.

Pennzoil across the board seems to flow fast in the cold in the youtube tests, but Pennzoil doesn't make an A3/B4 oil available in stores in the US.
Penzoil Euro 5W-30 is a C3 oil, but has less phosphorus than a full Saap A3/B4 oil.
Castrol 5W-30 A3/B4 seems like a good choice - I'm doing more research on the titantium claims to see if their titanium additive is effective at having lower engine wear, but not sure if its good for -5 degrees Farenheit temperatures.

I meant the higher phosphorus in full saap A3/B4 oils. It was my understanding C3 set limits on some anti-wear additives because they were harming diesel exhaust system filters on newer vehicles. So it was my assumption (please correct me if I am wrong), that a full SAAP A3/B4 will have more anti-wear additives and theoretically the potential for less engine wear than a C3 in a gasoline engine. Would that potential for more engine wear with C3 versus A3/B4 be measurable (probably no).
Well C3 vs B4 is little hard. Sometimes C3 oils has better base oil than B4.
Usually +-150ppm P or Zn has not real impact on wear, but oil life yes, C3 is lower.
So you can use very good C3 oil like Castrol 0w30 C3 vs same B4 if you adjust oil interval.

Pennzoil across the board seems to flow fast in the cold in the youtube tests, but Pennzoil doesn't make an A3/B4 oil available in stores in the US.
Penzoil Euro 5W-30 is a C3 oil, but has less phosphorus than a full Saap A3/B4 oil.
Castrol 5W-30 A3/B4 seems like a good choice - I'm doing more research on the titantium claims to see if their titanium additive is effective at having lower engine wear, but not sure if its good for -5 degrees Farenheit temperatures.
Wow wee. You got a lot going on there is all I can say.

I think you’re onto something here. I think you should continue your research.

It was the regular Castrol 5W-30 (not the A3/B4 version) versus Amsoil Signature Series.

Yes! But, not on YouTube!

OMG. So what matters is not approval from VW but Project Farm?
I ran Valvoline 5W40 in BMW X5 and started at -37.

Run ANY oil that has MB229.5 approval (in addition to VW502.00) and enjoy your life.

P.S. do not watch those videos anymore.
Sounds like good advice: MB229.5 + VW502.00 + ACEA A3/B4 = Solution.
Would anyone have a list of oils available on Amazon or Walmart which meets those 3 specs for 5W-30 grade.
I'm new to the European speced oils - looking for them in the US is not that straight forward.

Castrol has a 0w30 that is A3/B4
https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-06244-0W-30-Advanced-Synthetic/dp/B007G7PUMS

I also wouldn't rule out a 0w40 A3/B4, either Castrol
or https://www.mobil.com/en-ca/passenger-vehicle-lube/pds/io-ca-mobil-1-fs-0w40 or https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/full-synthetic-motor-oils/pennzoil-platinum-euro.html

5w30 or 0w40 here too

I doubt that engine will care where the A3/B4 HTHS >3.5 comes from when concerning grades. 0w30, 5w30, 0w40.... should all work well.

Since they are all synthetics, they should have no problem with cold flow. The only issue is driver's habits when engine is cold. And, if it makes you feel better, you can always add block and pan heaters.

So, what filter do you use? Don't expect great flow thru cellulose.

Thanks for the list of oils - will research further. I'd like to use a synthetic oil filter - something like a Fram Ultra Synthetic or Mann?

Back