Accurate Freezer Thermometer?

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
Look at it this way;
If I'm using a Wireless Thermometer and it's reading +10* F (for 12 Months)
and at any time in the future it's reading +15* F
and then +20* F
I might start suspecting a problem is developing and head it off at the pass / doing so would save a Freezer full of food.

So, knowing that the temperature is consistant is as important as to what the temp actually is

Yes, but consistency is just part of it. You also want to know accuracy.

If your thermometer shows +10F when in reality it is +20F, then by the time you notice an additional 10F temperature rise, your food will be spoiled.

^ It is pretty unlikely to be off that much unless it is generic junk. I already had one (or more if I still have them, lol) so when I got another one I could just compare to what I already had which already seemed accurate enough. You might as well have at least two so you can monitor the refrigerator freezer as well as the deep freezer.

Originally Posted by Dave9
^ It is pretty unlikely to be off that much unless it is generic junk.
Which is why I started this thread asking for recommendations.
smile.gif

The one I ordered was only $6, and looking at some of the reviews, accuracy can be a crap-shoot. And I imagine they diverge even more as you move further away from the middle of the scale...

Just wondering how much one would need to spend to get better accuracy.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by LMG1
Here's some that go down to -40 °F.

webstaurantstore.com

Thanks! I'll probably pick one of those up, just so that I can compare results to the one I just received from Amazon.

BTW, at the upper end of the scale, this Taylor one from Amazon reads about 3F low compared to some of my other thermometers. I have no way of verifying how it behaves at the lower end of the scale since none of my other thermometers can read that low.

Checking the chest freezer, it shows +10F near the top. That's with the temperature dial set to 9 o'clock position. Before, I had it at 6 o'clock, which likely resulted in too warm temperatures inside the freezer. However, half way deep it shows -6F. I'm surprised there is so much temperature variation from top to middle.

What about a 'Wireless' Outdoor Thermometer.
Sensor inside freezer / Readout on wall near Freezer.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/AcuRite-Di...CO7uiuSRiekCFbEDiAkdMtMOQg&gclsrc=ds

I might pick up one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B9N71VC

It comes with two external sensors (for your fridge freezer and deep freezer) and you can set audible alarms in case sensor temperature exceeds a pre-programmed value.

Gonna need to use lithium batteries though.

Originally Posted by Dave9
Precision on a thermometer for this isn't really important. If it's off by, say 2 degrees, even 5 degrees, you're still going to get the needed info about whether it is staying at a suitably cold temperature.

I would not turn the temp down more, instead make sure the door seals are in good shape and that everyone opening it, makes sure it closes good. Yes it uses more power, but also cycles the compressor more, wearing it faster. You should not have that big of an issue keeping the bottom at 0F, and having less than 10F difference at the top, unless your door seal is shot.

A fully packed deep freeze with a good seal, will have no problem keeping food at the top, completely frozen. It is far better to keep it packed full of food (or frozen water blocks, or even empty containers holding stagnant air if nothing else) so that each time the door is opened, there is far less exterior hot air exchange.

I highly prefer the ice blocks (or here, I grow tomatoes in summer and freeze blocks of those too) because they can keep food cold for several days during a power outage if you can resist opening the freezer much. It's also handy to have ice blocks, to just spontaneously grab and toss in a cooler for an outdoor event.

Agree. Perhaps I missed it, but if the deep freezer is not very full, it can have challenges too. They are slow to respond, IME. But ice cream should be solid.

I also agree with the lack of necessity for it being super-accurate. Put a glass of water in there... Does it freeze in a few hours? OK, then we are getting somewhere - its the water in ice cream that needs to freeze. If it does freeze, put a penny on top and go a while - curious if it perhaps has sluggish control.

Also good call on the blocks. Chillin' brew blocks freeze cold and solid - Ive generally been pleased with those.

While seals are compliant, Im not a big fan of the dent in the door and the seal that I saw in the photo. Its hard to tell if that is a leak, and if its a big deal. Id think if it were that big of a deal, the compressor would run non-stop. Is it? Maybe I missed it. Are the sides hot? This is where the IR cam that I read about can be handy - what does the exterior look like when the compressor is on and off? What does the area around that crimp look compared to the rest of the seal? How does it look everywhere else?

In reality, even a thermometer that's 5 degrees off doesnt matter a ton. Dont sweat it. The practical difference between 5, 0 and -5F is minor other than perhaps the electric consumption. That said, personally, I grew tired of those thermometers that never read right, and use a thin thermocouple on my Fluke 179. It doesnt read indefinitely (auto powers off), but its good enough for me, and the thermal mass is so low that it reads and changes fast.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Perhaps I missed it, but if the deep freezer is not very full, it can have challenges too.
It's about 2/3 full.

its the water in ice cream that needs to freeze. If it does freeze, put a penny on top and go a while
Now, with the temp dial set to 9 o'clock, it freezes the ice cream fine. I just pulled it out and stuck this meat thermometer in it - it showed -3F.

Im not a big fan of the dent in the door and the seal that I saw in the photo.
There is no dent in the door. Only the seal.

Id think if it were that big of a deal, the compressor would run non-stop. Is it?
Compressor runs only occasionally.

Are the sides hot?
Not at all. Entire exterior is cool to the touch.

what does the exterior look like when the compressor is on and off?
Not sure what you mean. What should I be looking for/at?

What does the area around that crimp look compared to the rest of the seal? How does it look everywhere else?

See below. It kind of looks bad in the pictures, but in reality, it's very small. I don't feel any air movement through there - hard to tell. With that said, the freezer is still under warranty - bought it when the virus craze started, so I can probably get them to send me a new seal - hopefully it's easy to replace.

When buying a Dial Type Thermometer in a Store, I like to line them up and compare all the readings / then I choose the most common reading.
Question: Is there an Adjustment screw on the back ?

Here's another version of a Wireless Thermometer.
Although I would like better reviews.
[Linked Image]

When buying a Dial Type Thermometer in a Store, I like to line them up and compare all the readings / then I choose the most common reading.
Good suggestion. Mine came from Amazon.

Question: Is there an Adjustment screw on the back ?
Nope.

Update on me trying to get a new seal/gasket: Frigidaire (Electrolux) claims they're unable to get a replacement gasket. Instead, they want to buy back the appliance for what I paid for it. While this sounds good on paper, in reality I wouldn't be able to buy a comparable freezer for the same amount due to current market conditions.

However, if I understood their buy back program, they are not actually coming to collect the appliance. They are just issuing me a payment and expect me to dispose of the appliance. So I could just keep the appliance, alas, it looks I may be unable to locate a replacement gasket, and even if I do, those things appear to be quite expensive.

Anyone know good freezer gasket suppliers that I could check with?

On the other hand, that kink looks pretty minor to me, so I'm not even sure that the gasket needs replacing.

Back