Chest Freezer doesn’t get cold enough?

We have basically the same chest freezer. I bought it from Home Depot about 16yrs ago. Given they don't have a circulation fan in the freezer, it's not going to cool and hold the cold unless it has contents in it. These units are not serviceable, unless you can DIY somehow. They are throw away. I would load it up with food goods you don't mind testing with and see how it goes.

I didn't see any service ports, so I have no idea how these things are serviced. doitmyself's idea is fascinating though - might need to look into it.
New one's have risen in price....significantly. These things now go for $500-$700.

It certainly is worth a shot. You wouldn't be out much.
I'm assuming that this is representative of what you have:

This is probably the same freezer without the brand name and some of the bells and whistles:

If you can't fix it and still have a need for a freezer, many times you can get a deal in a farm store, or depending on the time of the year, even a grocery store. Pre pandemic, the second freezer could be had for $150. or less. On this type of appliance, brand names mean nothing except additional cost.

Supco-BPV31 is the most recommended bullet valve I encountered on the internet. Beware of no-name ones.

I bought a cheap generic hose/gauge because my use is limited: https://www.amazon.com/BPV31-Bullet-Piercing-Valve-Kits/dp/B0821ZZ925/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2BHYXJ31CFZ3Z&keywords=Belleone+refrigerant+hose&qid=1656380052&sprefix=belleone+refrigerant+hose,aps,80&sr=8-3

I see small cans of R600a for sale on ebay. Note that mk378 points out that this refrigerant is different (flammable). You need to investigate the proper hose/gauge and procedure for R600a as my suggestion is for freon type coolants. Bullet valve/R600a may not be a safe DIY project. Proceed at your own risk.

Last edited:
Purchased a 2-yr old Amana chest freezer off Craigslist last week.
I defrosted it for several days in the garage, scrubbed and hosed it out and plugged it in for 24 hrs before loading it.
The freezer refuses to get colder than 7F (confirmed with a wireless thermometer probe). Currently, it is full of breast milk and three 20lb bags of ice. The compressor also runs continuously, it has never stopped. ... ...

This is the first chest freezer I have owned, so I’m not sure what’s consider normal behavior.
Thanks.
7 deg F is well below freezing, but how hot is the garage ambient temp?
The compressor running constantly is a concern but if it's over 80 in the garage it may likely do so. Cant say for sure, even though I am in a log cabin in the woods, I don't have any "freezer out on the front porch" experience :)

Have you been able to find the condenser? It should be fan cooled but it may be only 4 sq ft in area and folded in a plenum. they have to have good airflow and be dust bunny free. My old Whirpool Gold is weak and always has been. runs more often than not unless its below 65 in the house. But we try to get through Summer without running AC more than the hottest 5 days of the year and only from 10AM through 5PM.

On weak systems sometime just a hair more refrigerant will kick the unit into proper operation - like tipping a scale past equilibrium.

Funny coincidence, I was looking at chest freezers last week, there were a few around 200 bucks at Lowes'.

Last edited:
AD66525B-C2A6-4289-AF96-F6418F9AA049.jpeg

After over a week of not opening it, this is the best that it has gotten.

Sensor 1 is at the bottom of the freezer. Sensor two is about halfway up. Freezer is about 1/2 full.

It is on the maximum setting and the compressor has never turned off. Thoughts?

View attachment 106696

Sensor 1 is at the bottom of the freezer. Sensor two is about halfway up. Freezer is about 1/2 full.

Like mentioned before, either the refrigerant charge is low and/or the compressor is in bad health. Only way to know is check the low and high side pressures of the compressor when it's running, which can't be done on a system like that unless you add connections like someone mentioned before.

Did you ever check the condenser cleanliness? If it was super dirty it might contribute to not cooling properly.

Last edited:
Like mentioned before, either the refrigerant charge is low and/or the compressor is in bad health. Did you ever check the condenser cleanliness?
Where is the condenser? I thought it is sealed between the layers of the freezer wall.

My guess is that someone repaired it( the burned spot) and didn't get the charge right or didn't pull a vacuum. It works exactly like a car ac. What's it say it uses for refrigerant?
R600A

Where is the condenser? I thought it is sealed between the layers of the freezer wall.
I has to have one someplace. There should also be some kind of small fan that moves air across the condenser - that's how most refrigerators and freezers are designed. Do a on-line search for a manual for the the unit you have to see if you can find a parts break down, or a service manual.

I has to have one someplace. There should also be some kind of small fan that moves air across the condenser - that's how most refrigerators and freezers are designed. Do a on-line search for a manual for the the unit you have to see if you can find a parts break down, or a service manual.

Part# is AQC0902GRW. Not finding a diagram anywhere.

I'd just get a new one. That's not cold enough to really freeze food, and with it running constantly it probably won't last as long and use a lot of energy.

I also wouldn't focus on brand, these freezers are all the same thing rebadged as each other. We have 3 of these in the family, the cheapest ones from Best Buy. One is 10 years old, the others are about 7-8 years old and no problems.

However, open the box before you leave the store (you have to pay first though). I've had 2 that were damaged in the box, badly dented where the lid wouldn't close.

$199 at Best Buy:

Part# is AQC0902GRW. Not finding a diagram anywhere.
It's probably one of these set-ups. It must just use the copper pipe as the condenser (link below).

Is the high pressure side tube coming out of the compressor really warm or hot to the touch? If it's not very warm then the compressor isn't doing much compressing, either from being worn out, and/or from lack of refrigerant charge. All you could do is try recharging it yourself with a kit like someone mentioned earlier (adding a fitting to the low side to introduce refrigerant while the compressor is running).

1656993107175.png

Last edited:
Id bet good money its low on refrigerant. The inside shell of these things is essentially the evaporator and the outside shell is the condenser. They just run the copper tubing against the metal so it transfers heat. Its a simple setup and it works well. The problem is residential freezers and refrigerators are a critical charge system. What that means is that they are charged by the weight of the refrigerant and if the exact weight is not in the system they will not function right. So all it takes is a tiny tiny leak to mess them up. To properly charge one of these things you have to pull out whats in it, vacuum the system and then weigh the charge back in. It was very feasible to do this on ones running R134a and get them close enough to run right because they held a decent amount of refrigerant. With these new ones running hydrocarbon refrigerants like R290 and R600 they dont hold practically anything so getting the charge right would be a bit hard for a DIYer.

View attachment 106696

No good, if its been running continous, compressor is bad or its low on refridgerant. It's not a sensor if it has been running non stop and that's as cold as it got..It should be -10 to -20 F. I would scrap it because it will cost too much to have a technician come out and attempt to fix it.

Back