Accidental extreme OCI

So my stepson did not keep track of his oil change interval. The vehicle is a 2009 Ford escape V6.

I had helped him change the oil sometime back and used penzoil platinum full synthetic and installed a fram tough guard oil filter. After I was done I reset the oil life monitor and installed a sticker on the windshield of when the next oil change was due.

My wife got into his car to move it out of the way the other day, and noticed the oil change light was on in the car. She also saw the sticker on the windshield with a mileage the next oil change was due. It said 141,000 miles.

Well where the problem comes in is the current mileage is 160,000.

When I became aware of the situation, I initially thought no way that could be correct. I mean who would run oil that long. Knowing me I put the mileage at 6 to 10 thousand mile interval on the sticker. So that leaves us at 25 to 29 thousand miles on the oil and filter.

Whatever it may be, I pulled the car in the shop and did an oil change. The oil was pretty dang dark, but not as bad as you would think. It didnt appear to be really thick or sludgy.

Then refilled the car with Valvoline Full Synthetic High Mileage and put a wix filter on it, just because I had some laying around. I also checked the air filter it was the worst I had ever seen, excluding tractors. So I changed it also.

After I changed the oil and filters the car seems to be running fine, as it did before the oil change.

I still didnt believe it was 25 to 29 thousand mile oil, but after talking to him when he got home, sure enough it was. He just left the oil life monitor light on, ignored the sticker and just kept on driving.

So most likely the filter reached capacity and either broke through or the bypass activated at some point keeping the engine supplied with oil saving the engine.

One positive is the car has several leaking gaskets and I add about half a quart a week to maintain level so he doesnt burn up the engine because he doesnt check it. Im sure having a slight amount of fresh oil helped to some degree.

I guess in the future, Im gonna have to keep a better eye on his vehicle maintenance or lack of. The kid is autistic and cars just arent his thing, even though between his work and hobbies does an insane amount of driving. So its really kinda my fault I guess. Im uses to my wife proptly telling me when she needs an oil change and assumed he would do the same as he has before.

I really regret not sampling that oil for analysis. I do still have the filter. Not sure how much oil I could get out of there for analysis or if it would be worth it. So if anyone with a filter cutter wants it to see how the filter performed for 25 thousand plus miles I can send it to you.

Bit over but probably fine, many cars see worse. Probably would have gone downhill rapidly in soon order though.

Sounds like my son, he'd be apt to do this, and likely for the same reasons. It happens. Good case for using high(er) end oils in this application.

Also, do yall think it would be good to sample and test the oil that I put in the car now after the extended OCI? Would it help tell how much wear the last extreme interval caused?

Bit over but probably fine, many cars see worse. Probably would have gone downhill rapidly in soon order though.

Sounds like my son, he'd be apt to do this, and likely for the same reasons. It happens. Good case for using high(er) end oils in this application.
Thats kinda how I feel about it.

Ive been in the refining business for 23 years now running FCC'S and Hydrocrackers and have done some crazy lubrication related things over the years on huge multi million dollar compressors etc. to keep them running until they could be repaired. Havent seen a lubrication related failure yet.

Now we have found sludge and jelly like buildups etc. from using oils that werent the most compatible or the right spec. But even running at 8000 rpms as long as there is lube and its not too hot we get away with it.

I always say that some lubrication is better than none. Meaning in an emergency or shortage, the closest spec oil is better than nothing.

Also, do yall think it would be good to sample and test the oil that I put in the car now after the extended OCI? Would it help tell how much wear the last extreme interval caused?
I would rather spend the UOA money on a jug of oil and another oil filter. Change it once current fill hits 2k-3k miles. Then proceed at normal intervals of your choice. My vote would be for an oil that is known for its cleaning abilities and long-drain ability, which happens to be Mobil 1 FS 0W40. Price is same as oil you're using, but I'd bet performance and cleaning abilities are better. Not HPL Engine cleaner by any means, but definitely better than most motor oils on neighboring store shelves.
image-25.jpg

That engine deserves some love after abuse it just took. Give it some M1 0W40.

Last edited:
Good on you for helping him keep track of his car.

I do find it odd that you add oil once a week, but never made a mental note of the amount of time or miles since the last time you serviced it.
The only time the car is home is between 11pm and 7am usually, and not here on the weekends.

So I usually drag ass into the garage after a 12 hr night shift at the refinery, pop the hood, check level, add oil, go inside, shower and sleep. I dont ever drive the thing or even crank the engine.

I maintain 4 cars and 1 pickup. Then there is the boats, yard equipment etc also.

I'd do a quick oil change too but I'd stretch it to around 500-1k miles so it has a chance to clean a bit
Oil circulates in the engine pretty quickly so after 10 miles, the new oil has mixed with all the dirty old stuff. If you want to stretch it out that long, maybe add a dose of Kreen as well.

Oil circulates in the engine pretty quickly so after 10 miles, the new oil has mixed with all the dirty old stuff. If you want to stretch it out that long, maybe add a dose of Kreen as well.
10 miles? Engine will be at running temp for such a short time that hardly makes sense to me.. Surely a bit more mileage would thoroughly heat up left over gunk better and get caught in the filter

He did an oil change. Some proper heat cycles will definitely clean better than a 10 mile run.. "refilled the car with Valvoline Full Synthetic High Mileage and put a wix filter on it"
Yes he did but with 25-29K miles on the old oil, one change wont get it clean. There is still old oil in the galleries, on top of the heads and some still in the pan. I've done a few changes where the oil on the dipstick looked almost as dark after an oil change as before.

I would run the oil change you had done for 1k miles then change it and then run a couple 3k intervals. Run your normal intervals after that. If you added .5qts on ave. per week the oil changed over multiple times during those 29k miles. Dirty yes but not like the original oil ran the whole time, so I wouldn't worry too much

I would run the oil change you had done for 1k miles then change it and then run a couple 3k intervals. Run your normal intervals after that. If you added .5qts on ave. per week the oil changed over multiple times during those 29k miles. Dirty yes but not like the original oil ran the whole time, so I wouldn't worry too much
I missed the 1/2 quart per week usage in the post. Yeah that is quite a bit and makes a huge difference and more than just a slight amount of fresh oil. It’s odd that someone would be careful enough to check the oil every week yet never notice the OC sticker on the windshield.

Yes he did but with 25-29K miles on the old oil, one change wont get it clean. There is still old oil in the galleries, on top of the heads and some still in the pan. I've done a few changes where the oil on the dipstick looked almost as dark after an oil change as before.
10 miles is like rinsing your greasy hands for a second under a drinking fountain. It will take a few miles and heat cycles to clean up anything, but in all reality there might not be much to clean if the engine is in good mechanical order. Modern oil is pretty good and if he was adding a 1/2 quart a week he was essentially replacing the oil every couple months. I'd change it at 1-2K and see how it looks.

Back