Accidental extreme OCI

I missed the 1/2 quart per week usage in the post. Yeah that is quite a bit and makes a huge difference and more than just a slight amount of fresh oil. It’s odd that someone would be careful enough to check the oil every week yet never notice the OC sticker on the windshield.
True but life happens to the best of us and I can't say i have never missed a oil change on time.

I bought some oil and a filter thinking my oil needed to be changed and after looking at the mileage it was only 800 miles. If my son did this to his vehicle I wouldn't admit it to anyone. I once noticed my son wearing his underwear inside out and asked him if he was trying to extend the wear time by using both sides of his underwear.

1/2 a quart a week? How many weeks did it go? 26? 52? 25000 miles or more would take a while. Adding half a quart a week you’d replenish the oil every 10-12 weeks depending on the capacity. I guess I shouldn’t say replenish but it would constantly have fresh oil and not be too low. Probably totally fine.

1/2 a quart a week? How many weeks did it go? 26? 52? 25000 miles or more would take a while. Adding half a quart a week you’d replenish the oil every 10-12 weeks depending on the capacity. I guess I shouldn’t say replenish but it would constantly have fresh oil and not be too low. Probably totally fine.
Sounds like the Toyota I gave my stepson 15 years ago he changed oil in it twice in four years. The car died on him he couldn't understand it. Best car I ever had in my life he said. Where the prime word is had. Now he's moved on to the finer things in life and has a $3000 electric bike and rides the bus. Oh and he found out if you want a roof over your head and want to eat on a regular basis you need a job! :love:

At that amount of added oil per week, I'd be more concerned about the filter than the oil. That's basically an oil change performed every 3 months (I think I remember the 3.0L having a 6 qt capacity, but could be wrong). I'm not even sure that I would run a short interval this time, just button it up and hope that your son pays more attention to taking care of the car going forward.

Also, do yall think it would be good to sample and test the oil that I put in the car now after the extended OCI? Would it help tell how much wear the last extreme interval caused?
Save your money on the o/a. Keep a quart around so you can top it up when your son comes over.

Question is whether it's losing oil or burning oil.

My theory is this (I have no evidence to support this theory, but it seems logical):

If it's only losing oil, at a half quart a week, it's getting the equivalent of regular changes. But you should still change it once in a while just to be safe.

But if it's burning oil, most of the solids will be staying behind. So in spite of all the oil being added it should still have regular changes. Or at least regular filter changes to get rid of the bigger solids, and then a full change once in a while to get rid of the small stuff that doesn't get filtered out.

If it isn't dripping oil you have to assume it's burning oil. And to explain a loss of half a quart a week, it would have to be dripping a lot.

Question is whether it's losing oil or burning oil.

My theory is this (I have no evidence to support this theory, but it seems logical):

If it's only losing oil, at a half quart a week, it's getting the equivalent of regular changes. But you should still change it once in a while just to be safe.

But if it's burning oil, most of the solids will be staying behind. So in spite of all the oil being added it should still have regular changes. Or at least regular filter changes to get rid of the bigger solids, and then a full change once in a while to get rid of the small stuff that doesn't get filtered out.

If it isn't dripping oil you have to assume it's burning oil. And to explain a loss of half a quart a week, it would have to be dripping a lot.
He said it has a lot of gasket leaks, so probably more leaking than burning.

Sounds like it’s time for the stepson to start being responsible for his car.
Well that would be great, but its kinda tough with these special needs kids.

Autistic kids are really into what they are into and not much else. His job actually involves very intricate work on precision mechanisms. Much more complex than an oil change. All I can do is keep trying to get through to him and eventually Ill wear him down.

Seems like a lot of us agree the leaking gaskets did the car a lot of good.

I keep a big cabinet of oil out in the shop. Starting to near the end of the penzoil stash from those awesome rebates they had. Im not picky Ill use any good synthetic oil, whatever I get a deal on.

I keep 5 quarts in the garage and refill a quart bottle for easy topping off of his car.

I make him park over a piece of cardboard lined with plastic duct taped to the garage floor. 😂

It mainly leaks going down the road though. Barely leaks anything when its just sitting.

I paid 4 grand for the car 3 or 4 years ago and he has put over 80 thousand miles on it so far. I have minimal money invested in the thing.

We will run it til a major failure then call it good and he will get something new.

This car is his first. So gotta get these lessons learned on this car before he gets something nice.

Autistic kids are really into what they are into and not much else. His job actually involves very intricate work on precision mechanisms. Much more complex than an oil change. All I can do is keep trying to get through to him and eventually Ill wear him down.

Okay. I missed the part about being autistic.

Given that and the fact that you are ready checking the oil every week you may wish to consider also keeping an eye on the OCI.

Back