Accident damage... What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's probably a $2000-$2500 repair. Bumper cover, rear quarter repair w/refinish and possibly blend into the driver rear door.

2016 is totally old enough to go the beater route if you want--that'd be like over 100kmiles for me. Good and broken in, but probably with a few battle scars already.

If it looks good it may be worth the time to hit a body shop and get an estimate. Maybe a smaller shop that understand that might not want to spend more than x dollars. Make it look reasonably good and call it day. Alternatively, if you feel lucky, maybe look into how hard it is to pull the bumper and replace the light; maybe you could pop out most of the dent. But it only costs time to get an estimate.

I wouldn't call out insurance on it, but then again I run a high deductible to keep things cheap--so I'd view it as spending the money I saved.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Going to head to a body shop my pastor recommended after a hair cut (the mop has GOT to go!) and see what they say. Tried pushing the bumper back in to no avail... part of the metal had bent down from what I can see.

Where you work, you don't have any body shops around? look for the ones working with the limo guys. They usually end up with scrapes (you know how taxis+limo drivers drive???) and do it out of pocket/no insurance.

I re-painted my hood at a local franchise ABRA auto body.

Around the airport/Schiller park is full of auto body/restoration shops.

Originally Posted by The Critic
That's probably a $2000-$2500 repair. Bumper cover, rear quarter repair w/refinish and possibly blend into the driver rear door.

At least....and this doesn't even mention any potential damage to the bumper cover's support/energy absorb. bar under the cover, etc. OP, take it to a professional.

Originally Posted by pandus13
I re-painted my hood at a local franchise ABRA auto body.

I did too, they had my car for 3 months, couldn't completely realign my door to the frame after one accident, lots of over spray, and burned my clutch up to the point of slipping.

A&L in Palatine is highly rated. All the local guys with their fancy $5000 body kits go there and their lot is filled with NSX's.

As mentioned above, I'd get a few cash estimates, and ask for various repair schemes. Maybe there is an acceptable scheme that will be less than the deductible.

Originally Posted by dishdude
I wouldn't put a claim in on that. The bumper will snap right back in, touch the paint up and buy a replacement taillight on eBay.

this

Tough call, a decision only you can make.
I wouldn't file with my insurance company, that much I know.

Vehicle isnt that old, I would most likely pay out of pocket, but first clean it up as best I can and make a decision to repair after that.
It you keep the vehicle a long time, once a section is repaired, some years later it shows, quality of paint is always different as time wears on and that is the one thing that might hold me back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back