Accessing the fuel in modern vehicle gas tank, to run generator

he can take a set of angle cutters to that fuel line and cycle the key and fill a pan with fuel then transfer it to the generator.

Critical thinking involved in breaking my working car? Just admit it was a poor idea for a gear head site.

When gas prices around here were $5 a gallon people were finding holes in gas tanks that someone drained their gas out. Vehicle would need repair but if really needing the power that is a possible option

Buy the cheap hf fuel pressure gauge for the shraeder test port on the fuel rail. Jump the relay contacts and it will pump gas down the hose.

Critical thinking involved in breaking my working car? Just admit it was a poor idea for a gear head site.
Car vs medicine......I'll take the meds, thank you. While a gear head site, sorry you can't think out of the gear head box and considering that at his age, maybe meds that are required to be kept at a certain temp may be more important.

Moonwalk that comment back, bud. You got pwned. Yeeeeheeeee

This isn't some remote spot in Nevada or Montana 50 miles from the nearest town. If he's in a life threatening emergency he can call 911 or drive to the hospital. That he isn't in a nursing home indicates he isn't incapacitated or frail.

I've gotten fuel out of a 10 year old Nissan Versa by hotwiring the fuel pump relay and connecting a hose to the fuel rail, but I had the service manual to look up the wiring diagrams and fuel system. I wouldn't even attempt that on a 2022 Cadillac what with the high pressure system they have.
What's Cadillac have to do with the high pressure system??? Or any car for that matter???

Oh, i got it. You read some tech data and it told you that dfi systems run "high pressure systems" and thought it was your home run argument???

Sorry bud, your attempt to look educated failed.

Dfi systems such ad in the Cadillac run a 2 pump system. A supply pump that runs at regular efi pressure....let's say 45 psi and a high pressure pump running up to 5k psi.

Using a pair of angle cutters to cut the rubber line insinuated he cuts before the high pressure line....as in rubber....cycling the key was your second clue as the high pressure pump runs off the cam and the engine has to run in order for that pump to work. The angle cutters were your THIRD clue, as high pressure lines are usually steel....good luck getting through that with a pair of angle cutters.

Might as well change your username as your tech advice from now on will be laughed at. Nobody will take you seriously.

NEEEEEXXXXXTTTTTT!!!!

Hanstringing your functioning transportation to remain in a situation where you need to run a generator for power is idiotic.

Get in the car and drive to where there is power.

Critical thinking...
You seen the damage??? I did. Got a niece and a sister in that situation. She's not getting through to anything or going anywhere anytime soon. Comms are still down. If she didn't have a generator and plenty of fuel on hand, my nieces meds would be useless. Then what??? Wait for a air lift when it could be used for someone else??? Sorry, meds first.

Critical thin.....sorry, I was expecting more from given your post count and generally good advice.

I too was pretty dismayed by the comments on this thread. Yes, if it was a millennial I would point and laugh also. He is 85. 85 year old forget things. Getting up can be difficult. Lifting a gas can may be difficult. I am fortunate my 86 year old father lives in a small town. If he didn't have gas a neighbor would likely fill his generator without being asked.
Yeah, they can be pretty rough on this site. You have to excuse them. They're stuck into a "gear head" box where all that matters is cars and oil. Power is required for comms, and most important, medicine.

He got power/internet/cable back, an hour ago.
Easier now to amuse the wife, who is suffering dementia.

Were gonna install a propane / 3 fuel conversion kit for the generator over the holidays.
Glad to hear he's going to be OK. Some areas got hit hard.

Sister didn't want to listen till I yelled at her to go get gas so my nieces meds wouldn't be useless.

Glad she listened so are her neighbors. Front of her house looks like power company as she ran extension cords out for her neighbors to charge their phones.

On a PLUS side, I got a win for every little bro.....scratch that....every MAN.

She said "YOU WERE RIGHT!!!!!!"

An inverter on an idling engine will certainly work, but is a pretty inefficient generator.

Also, a maxxed out alternator at idle parked, is not a happy alternator.

I have acquired temperature data on my own alternator, and will no longer max out my alternator, at idle ,for more than a few minutes( making 50 amps) as it quickly gets to 220f, though at 65mph it stays under 140f making 121.4 amps.

100 amps at 14v, is 1400 watts

Alternators are only 55% efficient or so
Inverters are only About 85% efficient or so
Yeah, don't do the inverter thing unless it has welding cables hooked to it. Should be illegal to sell a 12V 3K inverter...that if fed by 12 Ga wire.

No one around him has a riding mower, lawn equipment with gas in it? No neighbor keeps extra fuel on hand?
It really is incredible how unprepared the average person is and how fragile the whole system is.

He got power/internet/cable back, an hour ago.
Easier now to amuse the wife, who is suffering dementia.

Were gonna install a propane / 3 fuel conversion kit for the generator over the holidays.
I have the one from USCarb, has worked fine for over 12 years now. I have NG service to my house so that is how it is hooked up most of the time. Have all the stuff to run it on propane as well.
The 7-9K gens can freeze a 20Lb propane bottle if under significant load. Would verify the size of his inground tank as those gens can consume propane at 1.5 gal per hour rate.

Its not an emergency.
@ 85 years d he has gotten used to some comforts.

Still has fuel, rationing generator use to keep freezer below 32f. No cable/internet/tv has him bored.

Said he went out, found one station pumping fuel, with huge lines in all directions, and decided he did not need gas that badly.

Thanks.for.those who had helpful.replies regarding extracting fuel from a modern vehicle's tank.
Most other replies just remind me why I prefer conversing with canines.
I am sorry that I cannot help, but your comment about conversing with canines made me laugh out loud. Now my dog is thinking it is time to take her for a walk and the dog is right.

It is a helpless feeling to be on the other side of the country knowing that your dad wouldn't listen to you even if you were there to help. My dad was a stubborn old coot..

At 85 dad is still pretty sharp, but stubborn, and is the ultimate contrarian.

The sky is blue i say.
...no, its gray and nighttime, you are wrong.

He had zero intentions of ever accessing the fuel in the caddy, as that possibility was brought up by me, and by default, I am wrong.

Ultimately he had enough fuel, but lucked out overall. When he could see the damage just 50 miles south, on TV, he was shocked.

His underground propane tank is several Hundred gallons, i wouldnt think it is in danger of freezing powering a honda eu3000i at max continuous load.

Am curious how much propane reduces that max continuous load vs gasoline/gasohol.

a low compression Jenny would run on a mixture of Toluol and Mineral Spirits and some twc3. You can get painting supplies in gallon tin cans at Walmart or the hardware store.
I have run a briggs lawnmower on 100% "white gas", coleman camping fuel.

The stuff has a really high RVP though and will evaporate from the tank over a week. Definitely something you should fill then use immediately. I buy gallon cans with three quarts remaining at yard sales for a buck, cheaper than at the exxon station.

An OHV engine will have higher compression and should probably run 50/50 with white gas and 87 unleaded.

Stuff like Toluene will have a ridiculously high octane, 122 IIRC.

Might find "tru fuel" at an out of the way hardware store, might not.

Last edited:
My own vehicle I can get about 1/4 gallon at a time with a siphon, and in the past, have just run 12v direct to my fuel pump and disconnected a fuel line at external filter, but on anything modern, I'd have little idea where to start.

It won't apply to all new cars, but some have a fuel pump access door from under the rear seat cushions. A mechanically inclined person can access the fuel that way if needed in a jiffy.

It won't apply to all new cars, but some have a fuel pump access door from under the rear seat cushions. A mechanically inclined person can access the fuel that way if needed in a jiffy.
Depending on tank location that access might be way in the back of the trunk.
Not something I would ask an 85 year old to do.

So if I'm understanding the 3 pages of "advice" on how to draw fuel from a '22 Cadillac one would need:
* The connector & hose from a fuel pressure gauge, or from a refrigerant manifold set (same fitting).
* Find the test port somewhere under all that plastic, wires, and hoses near the firewall.
* Remove the fuel pump relay in the fuse block and figure out which two terminals to jumper.
* A helper to turn on the key so you can mind the fuel flow.
* A class B fire extinguisher.

EZPZ...

Depending on tank location that access might be way in the back of the trunk.
Not something I would ask an 85 year old to do.

Definitely not something I would ask an 85 year old to do either, as bending down and around the back of any vehicle sucks!

There are many areas that will be without power for many weeks . If your house is still standing but sustained flood damage , you can't just walk away and go somewhere with power . Those houses need to be gutted asap . Fans and dehumidifiers will need to be used to start the drying process . You will need lights to work by . Generators and fuel will be a hot commodity .

There should be a funnel that comes with the car so you can fill up the tank with a fuel can,i've used the funnel to siphon as well with some hard plastic lines.I would imagine it should work with any other easy fill system.

Back