Acceptable amount of time to get up to speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ls1mike
Tractors trailers I get it.

Old VWs I get it.

Old Subarus I get it.

Few and far between and are not the bulk of the problem. You guys are cherry picking.

There will always be outliers, but when the average age of a car is 11 years old you are going back to 2008.

There are plenty of outliers on here, but that is not bulk of the population.

The particular stop light in question, and going to slow causing a delay and backup at lights.

I am not talking about merge or riding someone's behind on the highway.

Only a few people have actually answered the question.

What is acceptable time to get up to 50 from a stop light on road with adequate traffic flow.

What is acceptable when someone pulls out in front of you? Should you have to hit the brakes? Should you not have to hit the brakes?

But acceleration rates do play a lot into it. Regardless of how fast a car is, or not, most drivers don't want to turn it into a raucous acceleration by driving their car too hard. Others are impatient and careless and floor it every time they can... then they jam on their brakes.

Ive noticed that the issue is a lot to do with distracted driving and being slow to respond when the light changes or the car in front starts to move. 1s delay times a ton of cars results in many seconds before any motion whatsoever occurs.

Originally Posted by ZZman
I tend to get up to speed on the easy side. When people in a hurry blow by me I wonder what their hurry is.

That is fine, but really none of your business. As long as they are not being dangerous. You never know what someone else has going on in there life.
5 mins maybe a huge difference for them .

I am just asking about reasonable acceleration. Lets say from a stop to get up to 55? I think 10 seconds is a good goal.

Actually matching the speed of traffic when merging is a good goal.

Agree 100 % ^^^^^^^

Reasonable is not too much to ask.

What gets my goat are people in BMW that hit the brakes lest they pull 0.1g on a curve.

My mother, who was a very slow driver, used to complain 40 years ago about people that pulled out in front and then drove slowly.

It's not going to change.

Agree with everything you said, people should drive respectfully, no matter what you drive. I'd rather let a Corolla pass my G37 then hold someone up. Deescalation is most always preferable. That said, the stupid supervisor who liked to push people out of the way needs to realize the jail was his best outcome if something tragic happened. If he ran some innocent senior citizens off the road and they were gravely injured or killed and the state failed to prosecute, I imagine their are some sons and daughters that would have ensured that gashole met the same fate as Cicero or Cato, by any means necessary.

in the ranger sometime I am basically floored and traffic can still pull away hahaha. 100 ponies baby!

Sometimes I pass them.

My old Benz is way underpowered but you know she's trying with the smoke flying out the tailpipe

I don't mind the slow accelerations at lights. It's first come first serve and I just pass when it's safe and legal to do so.

What I don't like is hauling down the road at 60-65 only to have somebody pull out and go a snails pace all while there's nobody behind me. Waiting an additional 5 seconds goes a long way.

I had to take a detour because of a train a few days ago. I hardly go that way and forgot the road takes you out to the foot of a hill on a state road. I pulled out and sure enough a car came over the hill and had to pass me on other hills with a solid yellow line. I typically go 65 or so and eventually gained on him which was odd. He was later stopped by the train I had to avoid.

Last edited:
Driving requires a lot of patience these days.

It really does. The amount of people looking down at their phones while driving or at a light is staggering. A woman in NJ was sentenced to 10 years in jail for hitting a car in front of her that hit a woman walking across the street and killed her. They claim she was texting.

People that take extremely long to get up to speed whether merging on to a highway or just from a regular light are highly irritating. If I were a cop I'd be pulling over people like this.

Originally Posted by Cujet
I hate to admit this, but my old supervisor at my college job (we will call him Craig) used to take the company ladder truck and actually "push" slowpokes. He was the boss, and always drove. Anyway, I don't think I've ever laughed so hard. He'd push some self righteous left lane camper by creeping up on them, touching bumpers, then flooring it. The company truck had a big block V8 and would push them without problem.

The situation would go like this: He'd tailgate them, flash the lights, and blow the horn. In his mind, one minute was all the time they would get. They'd refuse to move over, instead they'd tap the brakes or sit adjacent to another car, refusing to move over. The speed limit at the time was 55 and most of these people were in the 40 something MPH range. Once the brake tap happened, he'd ease up on their bumper and floor it. They'd put on the brakes hard and it mattered not. Once they were forward of traffic, he'd back off a little and give them a chance to pull over.

Then they would take down the phone number on the side of the truck and call it. Guess who they got when they called!

I laughed so hard, and hid below the window. But inside I knew these people were being inconsiderate beyond belief and probably thought it was funny to hold up others.

Your boss was living out a fantasy I've had for a long time! But I don't think I would ever do that.

If I'm first in line at a traffic light that takes multiple cycles to get through I punch it quite quickly, knowing the "accordion" of traffic behind me will accelerate more and more slowly.

We're all in this together. If I can help more people get through the light cycle and home to their families I will, even if I burn more gas myself.

My little side road empties into a 2-lane highway that just dropped from 55 to 35. Many, many times someone will be coming up behind me going 55-plus after I just pulled out and they look like they're losing lots of speed as I get up to 35.

Listen, speeders. I don't care if you speed. I do too. But you have to "own" that you'll cut back to the speed limit if circumstances change. I judge the oncoming car as though it's going an average, par-for-the course speed at a go/ no-go point before I pull out.

I get up to 35 just fine-- there's a 4-way stop in 1/10 mile that we're both stopping at.

When alone on a country road - at a snails pace to maximize economy.

When driving in traffic - at whatever speed puts you comfortably ahead or behind the closest car in the merge.

Being continuously in others way is douchebaggery.

UD

I think my point was to think about everything. Try to be courteous.

I am pretty patient after years of being on submarines(being stuck in a tube for months on end with no contact with the outside certainly builds patience in a young man),
kids and towing large travel trailers I am really mellow.

I just want people at a stop lights to get moving and to merge at speed limit. It isn't just about you.

It rare that I use all the power the in the Trans Am or the Caprice, but if I do it is because I want to get around someone, merge at the correct or sometimes leaving a light so
as many of my fellow humans can get through the light as possible.

Originally Posted by geeman789

It is PAINFUL to watch some guy in his rocket ship performance car crawling along at 5 mph in rush hour gridlock.

Not as painful as it is for him!
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif

I practice acceptance when I find someone in front of me takes 20 seconds or more to reach 55 or 60 mph. He or she may be retired and the jerks behind should get out earlier if it is so important that all others should clear out of their way. Ed

Originally Posted by Eddie
I practice acceptance when I find someone in front of me takes 20 seconds or more to reach 55 or 60 mph. He or she may be retired and the jerks behind should get out earlier if it is so important that all others should clear out of their way. Ed

That's a great point. Numerous times I have been frustrated by a slow or slowly accelerating driver...and when passing them see them and say "you go, gramp" as my frustration evaporates instantly. They're being safe, for them. Safety first.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Originally Posted by Eddie

That's a great point. Numerous times I have been frustrated by a slow or slowly accelerating driver...and when passing them see them and say "you go, gramp" as my frustration evaporates instantly. They're being safe, for them. Safety first.

This^^^^ I'm an old retired geezer myself. Not only that, but I learned years ago, when I was working, the importance of leaving home with plenty of time to arrive at my destination safely. I drive the speed limit and stay in the slow lane, yet still end up being tailgated, honked at and sometimes flipped off. Not my problem if someone else is running late. They should have left home earlier!

When I leave work to head home there is an onramp/acceleration lane that heads downhill and then uphill before merging with 65mph interstate traffic. You would think people would accelerate when going down but almost all wait to accelerate until they are heading up hill. Then when they do "accelerate" I'm lucky if they get over 55 mph. It can get scary trying to have to merge onto a highway with others going 65+ and the person in front is going 10+ mph slower.

Same stuff here in Kitsap. I am not asking everyone to put it on the floor, I am just asking them to be considerate.

How about an 87 year old lady who may not feel safe accelerating as fast as you'd like everyone to accelerate?
Or someone who may have just got out of the hospital and is trying to get home and is on pain meds?

Originally Posted by Mr_Luke

Same stuff here in Kitsap. I am not asking everyone to put it on the floor, I am just asking them to be considerate.

How about an 87 year old lady who may not feel safe accelerating as fast as you'd like everyone to accelerate?
Or someone who may have just got out of the hospital and is trying to get home and is on pain meds?

1. If you are on pain meds in Washington you are getting a DUI. Don't drive on prescription pain meds it is illegal.

2. My great grandmother gave up driving at 80 she was uncomfortable driving. If you are not comfortable driving. You need to find another way.
I am sorry being uncomfortable driving is not an excuse and it makes things worse.

Again extreme examples.

The average age of Americans is 38 years old.

I'm 81 and drive a CX5. I measured my normal 0 to 55 after the light turns green and was surprised my typical time was 14-16 seconds with no one in front or behind me. One the other hand when I'm having a little fun, it is peddle to the floor and 6,000 rpm through the first 3 or 4 gears. Ps. I always leave home about 15 minutes early. I don't get a a hurry or frustrated by someone driving 5 mph below the speed limit or taking a leisure time accelerating to speed. Life is so pleasant when I'm not fighting the world or traffic. Smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back