Acceptable amount of time to get up to speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ls1mike
Originally Posted by Mr_Luke

Same stuff here in Kitsap. I am not asking everyone to put it on the floor, I am just asking them to be considerate.

How about an 87 year old lady who may not feel safe accelerating as fast as you'd like everyone to accelerate?
Or someone who may have just got out of the hospital and is trying to get home and is on pain meds?

1. If you are on pain meds in Washington you are getting a DUI. Don't drive on prescription pain meds it is illegal.

2. My great grandmother gave up driving at 80 she was uncomfortable driving. If you are not comfortable driving. You need to find another way.
I am sorry being uncomfortable driving is not an excuse and it makes things worse.

Again extreme examples.

The average age of Americans is 38 years old.

+1

Originally Posted by Eddie
I'm 81 and drive a CX5. I measured my normal 0 to 55 after the light turns green and was surprised my typical time was 14-16 seconds with no one in front or behind me. One the other hand when I'm having a little fun, it is peddle to the floor and 6,000 rpm through the first 3 or 4 gears. Ps. I always leave home about 15 minutes early. I don't get a a hurry or frustrated by someone driving 5 mph below the speed limit or taking a leisure time accelerating to speed. Life is so pleasant when I'm not fighting the world or traffic. Smile.

Eddie. I understand that. It wasn't about the 5 mph below the speed limit.

It is about taking to long to get up to a reasonable speed and causing a backup traffic lights or on ramps. Or pulling out in front of someone causing them to hit their brakes.
That is the stuff that cause traffic around here.

It wasn't about driving 5 under the speed limit, that is separate mostly non-issue.

Your time up to speed is very reasonable.

1. If you are on pain meds in Washington you are getting a DUI. Don't drive on prescription pain meds it is illegal.

2. My great grandmother gave up driving at 80 she was uncomfortable driving. If you are not comfortable driving. You need to find another way.
I am sorry being uncomfortable driving is not an excuse and it makes things worse.

Again extreme examples.

All kinds of people are on pain meds and are not DUI. Pain meds does not automatically equate to DUI. I think they use the term "use caution" when taking pain meds. The same when you drink a beer and wait an hour before driving. That doesn't make you DUI.
Many people drive slower than they used to drive due to their age and health issues. That's legal and if you can't tolerate it, that's your problem and not anyone else's.

You stating the average age is 38 makes it evident to me how intolerant some of you are of older drivers, or to anyone who doesn't drive the way you think they should.

I'm 81 and drive a CX5. I measured my normal 0 to 55 after the light turns green and was surprised my typical time was 14-16 seconds with no one in front or behind me. One the other hand when I'm having a little fun, it is peddle to the floor and 6,000 rpm through the first 3 or 4 gears. Ps. I always leave home about 15 minutes early. I don't get a a hurry or frustrated by someone driving 5 mph below the speed limit or taking a leisure time accelerating to speed. Life is so pleasant when I'm not fighting the world or traffic. Smile.

+1

That's awesome.

Again extreme examples.

All kinds of people are on pain meds and are not DUI. Pain meds does not automatically equate to DUI. I think they use the term "use caution" when taking pain meds. The same when you drink a beer and wait an hour before driving. That doesn't make you DUI.
Many people drive slower than they used to drive due to their age and health issues. That's legal and if you can't tolerate it, that's your problem and not anyone else's.

You stating the average age is 38 makes it evident to me how intolerant some of you are of older drivers, or to anyone who doesn't drive the way you think they should.

There are 15 states that allow you to be charged with a DUI for drugged driving, 12 of which are 0 tolerance states.

But I agree 100% with ls1mike. There's a huge difference between driving slow because of adverse conditions, and driving slow in good conditions because one is uncomfortable. If it's a nice day, weather conditions are good, and you're not comfortable going the speed limit find a different route that has lower limits or get out from behind the wheel.

Originally Posted by Skippy722

Again extreme examples.

There are 15 states that allow you to be charged with a DUI for drugged driving, 12 of which are 0 tolerance states.

But I agree 100% with ls1mike. There's a huge difference between driving slow because of adverse conditions, and driving slow in good conditions because one is uncomfortable. If it's a nice day, weather conditions are good, and you're not comfortable going the speed limit find a different route that has lower limits or get out from behind the wheel.

I think a fair compromise is to not drive during rush hour if you're not comfortable going as fast as the flow of traffic.

Same thing with going to bank or post office at lunch time if you're retired.

Best post in this thread yet. Thanks, Eddie.

Again extreme examples.

No, you used an extreme example. I have been using averages this whole thread. None of what you said is average.

He is trying to antagonize you.

Driving under the influence means exactly that. Many things can influence you.

Speed limit is 55. you stop at this light it takes some people more than 1/2 a mile just to get up to 50 which causes a back up.
I don't expect every one to get up to 50 in 5 seconds, but it really shouldn't take more than 10.

If acceleration is linear it would take 72 seconds to reach 50mph in 1/2 mile. Pretty leisurely.
0-50 in 20 seconds, taking a little more than 1/8 mile, would be a reasonable pace even old under powered cars and tractor-trailers could achieve.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Driving under the influence means exactly that. Many things can influence you.

Either way.

I talk averages because it is the average 38 year old in a 5 or 6 year old car causing the problem.

Not some poor fixed income 87 year old woman. No one in their right mind would be mad or get upset with her.

Here in Washington it is probably people smoking the Mary Jane. LOL

There are two factors that I believe to be causing the Dallas commute to be the miserable experience it has become in the last 20 years. Old age, which often comes with diminished eyesight and mental processing, and massive numbers of immigrants who have never been required to actually know the finer rules of the road in this country (right on a red, keep your lane, etc.) and they drive REALLY slowly because they're not sure of what they're doing, or where they're going. We're wasting tax dollars on lane markings, because they're not observed anymore, between the people who have no idea what they represent, and the texters who pay lane markings no mind.

The world has changed since the Sunday drive was the norm. Nobody wants to be stuck behind someone who is unsure, tentative and slow. We're living in the information age, so there's no excuse for not knowing where you're going. There are too many people on the road for anyone to drive selfishly. The two worst things that I see occur every day: Pulling out in front of a car that you clearly see is coming at you at 50mph, & crossing 3 lanes of traffic 75 ft from the intersection to make your left turn, instead of just continuing on and correcting your path when it's safe to do so. If a physical or mental factor is preventing you from traveling along with the normal flow of traffic, and is causing you to make poor decisions that can have a disastrous effect on others, you should consider public transportation. Find yourself getting honked at or swerved around often? There's your sign. If you're driving slow to prove a point, you should have your license yanked.

One of Dallas's biggest problems is people crawling up on-ramps and then struggling to merge, which really screws the people behind them. I can honestly say that I have NEVER had trouble merging when I accelerate to ~5mph faster than the traffic occupying the right lane. I literally coast into my spot once I've taken aim. People here are a lot more willing to let you in when they see you traveling at their speed, and this is the concept that few people accept or understand. I'd be a rich man if I had a dollar for every Corolla I've gotten stuck behind trying to merge onto the George Bush Tollway at 40mph. Its inconsiderate, at best, suicidal at worst.

Germany's licensing system is looking better all the time.

I think a lot of this depends on the initial training a person gets when they first start driving. I was fortunate many years ago to get a good teacher who taught us some basics that I still use today.

For example , I get the impression that many drivers don't scan ahead but instead focus on what is immediately in front of them. If I'm on the freeway and I see brake lights coming on a half a mile ahead my foot is already coming off the throttle. In many cases cars speed past me only to slam on their brakes when they hit the backup.

Looking ahead to target your merge point is another good example already pointed out here.

It's a lack of multi-processing to use a modern term.

Bottom line here is if a person pulls out in front of me and I have to hit my brakes because the driver can't, or won't accelerate fast enough, that driver should've waited until I went by before pulling out...

Originally Posted by grampi
Bottom line here is if a person pulls out in front of me and I have to hit my brakes because the driver can't, or won't accelerate fast enough, that driver should've waited until I went by before pulling out...

Another good example grampi. Half the time that happens to me there was plenty of space behind me or no cars at all.

As someone who loves to drive fast, I honestly dont understand how anyone can drive below the speed limit and/or not accelerate at least at a moderate pace if not a brisk pace. If I am at a red light and the first one in line I am always getting on the gas heavily once the light turns green. The people that press their gas pedal maybe 2% to accelerate blow my mind...how do you drive so slowly?? The only thing I can surmise is that many people are very distracted while driving thus the act of driving becomes second fiddle to whatever it is they are doing/thinking about. I ALWAYS prioritize the road when I am behind the wheel and am aware of my surroundings as well as the pace I am driving at.

Originally Posted by gatorfast
As someone who loves to drive fast, I honestly dont understand how anyone can drive below the speed limit and/or not accelerate at least at a moderate pace if not a brisk pace. If I am at a red light and the first one in line I am always getting on the gas heavily once the light turns green. The people that press their gas pedal maybe 2% to accelerate blow my mind...how do you drive so slowly?? The only thing I can surmise is that many people are very distracted while driving thus the act of driving becomes second fiddle to whatever it is they are doing/thinking about. I ALWAYS prioritize the road when I am behind the wheel and am aware of my surroundings as well as the pace I am driving at.

You'd be surprised how many people are just plain scared to death of speed. Speed kills. Speed is evil. You whipper snappers need to stop being in such a hurry.

Every time I pass a Camry or Corolla going 15 mph under the limit, all I can see through the window is white knuckles from the death grip she has on the wheel. You would think it would get old being honked at and flipped off all the time, but they seem unaffected.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Welcome to my ignore list, where you're going to stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back