Accelerator pedal stuck. Just turn off car?

Yes. You can overcome the engine, as long as you press hard and stop asap
I remember reading this 30+ years ago and that is, vehicle brake systems (if working properly), will always be able to stop a vehicle even if the throttle is stuck wide-open.

The floor mat thing?
Simplest strategy is to do a fast nearly ABS stop, as most brake systems can probably pull that off without fading, but if you modulate your speed for long with the brakes, most will overheat in 20-30 seconds I would think. Find N and then figure out how to shut the engine off. I doubt there's an engine made in the last 30 years that would have a problem bouncing off the rev limiter for a minute or 2.

Stories like this always leave me shaking my head in disbelief. IMO unless the driver is mentally deficient, these kinds of stories smell like insurance or lawsuit scams to me. If you stand on the brakes the car WILL stop because the laws of physics dictate that the force of a 300 hp engine can always be overcome by the force of >1000 hp brakes (some braking systems are MUCH more powerful than this). Try it yourself.
Something definitely smells fishy to me here as well. The car in the vid looks like an older Mustang that would have a key and center console shift lever that could easily be pushed to neutral. (My sister has an identical car to the one in the video).

Along with the fact that as an EMT he should have some sort of emergency driving training that the rest of the general public wouldn't and should be calmer driving at higher speeds..

Correct, the car was built for heel and toe for manual driving so the pedals were close.
In the automatic cars people were pushing the wrong pedal while swearing to god they weren't.
The brakes could collar the car at 100MPH.

Remember way back when the brake pedals were much bigger on automatic cars.

Something definitely smells fishy to me here as well. The car in the vid looks like an older Mustang that would have a key and center console shift lever that could easily be pushed to neutral. (My sister has an identical car to the one in the video).

Along with the fact that as an EMT he should have some sort of emergency driving training that the rest of the general public wouldn't and should be calmer driving at higher speeds..

These days I take everything the media reports with a lot of salt. This whole story could be fake.

EXTREMELY FISHY!!!

The brakes should have been able to bring the car to a stop, even under power.
No reason not to click it in to Neutral
Even a "modestly" powered car today would accelerate well over 110 in the time it would take me to dial my phone...my Buick would be to 150 (theoretically ;-)) in the time it would take me to dial.
Turn the key off?
EMT training...but acting like a hysterical person with no experience in tense situations?

My bride and I caught this when it aired originally, both thought it was total Bull Stuff.

Insurance fraud, or suicide attempt for attention or life insurance payback for his family would be my first thoughts. His call was to prove it was an "accident" and his family could collect.

I've stabbed the accelerator pedal again with success. Also stuck my foot under the pedal and pulled up.

My keyed cars wouldn't lock the steering until I actually removed the key. This is something everyone can experiment with.

The on/off buttons on keyless ignitions bug me. Off should be Off after the same amount of time, whether you're stopped or going 55. Changing how a control reacts during the one moment you need it to work reliably is a recipe for disaster.

My keyed cars wouldn't lock the steering until I actually removed the key. This is something everyone can experiment with.

The on/off buttons on keyless ignitions bug me. Off should be Off after the same amount of time, whether you're stopped or going 55. Changing how a control reacts during the one moment you need it to work reliably is a recipe for disaster.

You wouldn't even be able to get the key to lock if the transmission wasn't in park, so locking the steering wheel wouldn't be a concern. Loss of power steering and brakes would be.

Basically the driver wants to get the vehicle out of drive, whatever damage happens to the powertrain is meaningless as long as an accident is avoided. Apparently this happened to my mother before I was born in some old 70's clunker, she threw the transmission into park at 70 MPH, there was no damage caused.

Been there. Pucker factor = 1,000%. Drive-by-cable throttle and the return spring broke at just about WOT while merging onto the highway. First instinct was to turn the key OFF and coast to the breakdown lane. But....the steering wheel locks when the key is off!!!!

Pucker factor now at 10,000%, thought quick and put the key into the "ON" position and got my steering wheel back. Thankfully no one (or cars) were hurt. Was able to pull over.

Downside to turning the key off is no power steering or power brakes. Shifting into neutral would retain brakes and power steering until the engine went kaboom... Not a fun situation either way.

Back