AC Delco PF64 discrepancies??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered six PF64's from RockAuto and they were shipped in an AC Delco bulk package marked for 12 filters. These oil filters did not have individual wrappings or individual boxes like a typical retail AC Delco filter. They all looked the same as the PF64 cut-open in this thread:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...f-64-factory-filter-cut-open#Post5297063

Big difference is that you can observe that plastic thing at the bottom of the filter, and a weird "two tier" ADBV setup at the opening of the filter. There appears to be a grate floating above a traditional ADBV.

I went to the local store today to buy groceries, and browsed the auto aisle and found a bunch of retail packaged PF64's. I opened up the box and they all looked like normal filters

First pic is the retail filter from the store.
Second pic is the filters I bought in bulk from RockAuto, which resemble the factory PF64 from the other thread.

What gives?

20200117_113641.jpg

20200117_164740.jpg

Whats the manufacture date for the top ones?

The top one looks like an AC Delco filter before they switched to the E-Core Design. When they went to the E-Core design, "E" was added to the end of the part number

PF-61 -> PF-61E
PF-63 -> PF-63E

So the filters with "E" at the end look like the bottom picture.

I think the PF-64 Filter design was changed without changing the part number.

What's interesting is that the Factory PF64 oil filter in your old thread has an "E" Core design, but with Metal End caps. The bottom picture and other E Core filters will have paper endcaps.

Walmart has the first kind at my store. I believe it is the latest design. Champ Labs seems to revising quite a few models some are hybrids ecore cage and the rest conventional.

Rock Auto usually means old stock that was laying around somewhere.

Old news, there are two p/n's for PF64 filters and they are going to an E-core design.

12640445 Steel core, base end ADBV
12696048 E-core, much lighter and possibly higher flow?

Both are GM approved...I stocked up on the 445 since it came on my car. Latest dates are 2018. Many C7 Corvettes came with 048's fwiw.

Looks like 048s are the ones I got from Rock Auto. Their website listed both 445 and 048. So I will have to check the date code. I learned something new today.

Looks like 048s are the ones I got from Rock Auto. Their website listed both 445 and 048. So I will have to check the date code. I learned something new today.

Sorry for the double tap. The 048 I bought looks to have metal end caps. If it's good enough for the C7 Vette...

It has a yellow plug thing on the bottom. Not sure what a dome bypass looks like but it's a weird metal tray that sits above the ADBV.

Originally Posted by metroplex
It has a yellow plug thing on the bottom. Not sure what a dome bypass looks like but it's a weird metal tray that sits above the ADBV.

The yellow button is probably the bypass valve incorporated into the metal leaf spring in the dome end.

Originally Posted by Bettez88
Yeah just seems weird to have that base plate with a dome bypass too

A base plate design like that doesn't automatically make it a "combo valve" design.

FWIW the Amsoil EA equivalent looks like the PF64 from the retail store, and the PF64 I removed from the Malibu (dealership supplied filter) looked like the retail filter as well. Basically they did not have that plastic plug on the bottom or that extra layer above the ADBV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back