AC Delco PF61 and PF 63

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone tell me if AC Delco PF61 and PF63 oil filters are interchangeable?

No, they're not. PF 63 is a newer design. It has metric threads and a built-in bypass valve. PF61 has 13/16 threads and no bypass valve. It is used on older engines that have the bypass built into the block.

I'd be interested to hear additional thoughts to @RFOverloads last comment. I'm using the PF63 filter on my 99 5.3L Silverado and 05 GTO. I drive them both very gently and rarely exceed 80 MPH, I do a lot of cruising in my old age.

Originally Posted By: Georgiey22
I'd be interested to hear additional thoughts to @RFOverloads last comment. I'm using the PF63 filter on my 99 5.3L Silverado and 05 GTO. I drive them both very gently and rarely exceed 80 MPH, I do a lot of cruising in my old age.

IMO....A Fram ULTRA should be your "go to" filter.

I was changing oil in a 2005 5.3 that I normally use the PF 61e filter........all I had on hand was a PG 63 that I use on my 2012 Suburban 5.3.
They do not interchange the PF63 slides right over the thread on the 2005 5.3 engine.

I am surprised the PF63 fits your 2005 5.3 Silverado.

Welcome to BITOG, Georgiey22.

I had to chuckle at your (1st) post. When I read it, I thought you said, " I do a lot of cussing in my old age." LOL

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Isn't the PF63 the one that caused Car & Driver to lose two engines in their 'Vette?

Two engines? Thought only one engine let go on them in the C7. Never read a second engine let go.

Instead of running the PF61 or PF63, go down to your local Walmart and pick up a Fram Ultra filter and be done with the Delco filters. Fram Ultra filters are rated to go 15K miles and are a full synthetic media filter. Delcos are cellulose filters and aren't really rated to go more than 5K miles at best. Fram Ultras are cheap too! Cheap insurance for an engine.

Last edited:
FWIW I believe the Corvette filter with the problem was an "E" type filter---just as previously seen on this board, a piece of the media tore off, and blew thru the plastic cage into the engine internals---you know the rest of the story

Thank you for the welcome chainblu! I guess I do a little of that also, getting older is the best.
smile.gif

Sorry for the confusion Fins...my Silverado 5.3L is a 1999 and my 2005 is a Pontiac GTO 6.0L. Both motors call for the PF63.

I'm 1500 miles into the last PF63 I installed, I'll take it apart at 3K miles to inspect. On all my vehicles regardless of oil type my OCI is 3K miles.

Sorry for the confusion Fins...my Silverado 5.3L is a 1999 and my 2005 is a Pontiac GTO 6.0L. Both motors call for the PF63.

I'm 1500 miles into the last PF63 I installed, I'll take it apart at 3K miles to inspect. On all my vehicles regardless of oil type my OCI is 3K miles.

You do mean a PF 61 correct? The PF 63 has metric threads and will not work on you 99 5.3. It is the same engine in my 2002 Silverado and it takes the PF 61. The PF 63 fits our 2011 Acadia's 3.6l.

Originally Posted By: steve20
FWIW I believe the Corvette filter with the problem was an "E" type filter---just as previously seen on this board, a piece of the media tore off, and blew thru the plastic cage into the engine internals---you know the rest of the story

Really. I've not read a definitive explanation for the two Corvette engine failures linked to the oil filter, including the specific construction of assembly line filter used. And while the media may or may not have breached as quoted, the C&D report I linked/read claimed it to be metal that broke free that was the culprit. Could have been a bypass event the metal broke free. There are two bitog threads on the topic, the latest linked below.

As for the filter, it's possible it's the newer ecore design design using the metal coil spring wrapped nylon poppet bypass. However at least one poster in the linked thread claims that it is an ACDelco UltraGard (Gold) using classic construction ie., metal endcaps and centertube.

So other than the suspect oil filter being a Champ made ACDelco, which now fall under the umbrella of 'Fram Filtration', I don't think the rest of the story including specific filter details and root cause of the engine failures is completely known to us at this point.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3561436/1

Originally Posted By: Rat407

You do mean a PF 61 correct? The PF 63 has metric threads and will not work on you 99 5.3. It is the same engine in my 2002 Silverado and it takes the PF 61. The PF 63 fits our 2011 Acadia's 3.6l.

That's why I questioned him about the PF63.......I figured he needed the PF61.

Has anyone used an E-Core AC Delco filter and taken apart for observation? With all of the so-called allegations of the E-Core tearing it would be good to see one opened up.

Has anyone used an E-Core AC Delco filter and taken apart for observation? With all of the so-called allegations of the E-Core tearing it would be good to see one opened up.

Yes, there are pictures on here. I saw one on here recently and while it looked good, I would avoid the e-core series filters and spend a buck or two more and get a better filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back