AC Delco good for 5,000 miles (8,000km)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

7om

Got some AC Delco filter on clearance at Rock Auto. With shipping, works out to be $3.25 each to Toronto. Gonna use this with PP and was wondering if they are good for 8,000 km which is about 5,000 miles. Was changing at 5,000 km in the past with conventional oil, so want to extend OCI to 8,000 km with synthetic.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
i dont see a problem.. I run wix and Puro's 6,000 without question.

yea, I know that regular Wix (Napa Gold) and Purolator PureOne would do 6,000 easy, but I could not find info on OCI for AC Delco, that's why I ask.

I have used AC Delco,PF47, in my application for ~8000 miles OCI on Valvoline NG and the filter looked pretty good.

I don't think it's any inferior to pureOne.

AC Delco does not carry any kind of mileage recommendation because they are GM OEM filters, and GM uses an oil life monitoring system, not a set interval. Most GM OLM's will recommend service between 5000 and 7500 miles.

Originally Posted By: 7om
... Gonna use this with PP and was wondering if they are good for 8,000 km which is about 5,000 miles. Was changing at 5,000 km in the past with conventional oil, so want to extend OCI to 8,000 km with synthetic.

Thanks!

To be specific, the answer to your question is "No." They are not good for 8k km.

But that's because both the fluid and filter are probably good to about 16k km (10k miles). Now, not knowing all the details of your applications, and the condition of your equipment, this is a bit of a guess. But if everything is in fine shape, 8k km is way under-utilizing both the fluid and the filter.

Last edited:
Good to know. I'm currently running a 2001 Civic with 235,000 km, just thought that the AC Delco were Champs entry level like Napa Silver (Wix) or Purolator Classic. In the past when I change it at the garage, they would say come back after 5,000, so I figured with Synthetic, I could stretch it to 8,000 with a decent filter.

One other question, since my car is high mileage, should I switch over to 5w30 or just stick with 5w20.

Thanks guys!

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Originally Posted By: 7om
... Gonna use this with PP and was wondering if they are good for 8,000 km which is about 5,000 miles. Was changing at 5,000 km in the past with conventional oil, so want to extend OCI to 8,000 km with synthetic.

Thanks!

To be specific, the answer to your question is "No." They are not good for 8k km.

But that's because both the fluid and filter are probably good to about 16k km (10k miles). Now, not knowing all the details of your applications, and the condition of your equipment, this is a bit of a guess. But if everything is in fine shape, 8k km is way under-utilizing both the fluid and the filter.

To really understand how your lube is doing, and your engine, you need to get UOAs, and then track other input/output topics like contamination, dilution, ox/insol, etc.

Without knowing how much (or little) shearing is happening, it's hard to say whether a thick grade oil is needed.

Generally, I'd say stick to the recommended vis. It got you this far. Honda engines (especially the little 4-cyl) are very hardy and don't need a lot of special treatments or changes.

Get a few UOAs; see how things are going now. Assess the current situation, before jumping to conclusions about changes that may not even be warranted.

Last edited:
If they are the "E" series ecore AC Delco's I'd only run them long enough to go get a real oil filter. If they are AC "Classics" they should be good for any reasonable length OCI. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back