AC Delco filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats the word on the ACDelco oil filters. I am looking to stock up for the new Yukon. Should I stick with OEM or go Mobil1/K&N/Royal Purple?

I use them on my saturn. I can see the build quality since my saturn has the cartridge filter. I think they are decent looking and made well for the price. If you're looking to extend your oci then I would choose a filter specifically made for extended drains. I personally run full synthetic oil for 10k miles in my saturn, but I change the ac delco filter out every 5k miles.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
Just avoid the e-core and they should be fine.

I concur if you can get the AC Delco Classics they are good filters (often found at auto parts stores). The e-core versions I would avoid like the plague. The e-cores would be marked with an "e", like PF-47E, and you can look in the middle and see a black plastic cage and exposed media. The classic versions you'll see a steel center tube.

I have PF47 on my wife's Forenza,the engine is rattling now which it was not on Purolator classic but I doubt it's the filter because it just happened the same day we had timing belt replaced(only the belt not the water pump or tensioner because the mechanic convinced my wife that they are not necessary to replace unless HE TAKES THE BELT TENSIONER OFF AND SENDS IT TO SUZUKI DEALER TO TEST IT
mad.gif
however I told her to get them replaced).Long story short I it looks solid and good made filter.

I'm using an AC (non-ecore) filter right now. I like that it's one inch longer than my alternatives, making it easier to install/remove from the car. I don't believe it filters any better or worse than my other options though. At least not in amounts I can appreciate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 05Blazer
thanks KC I often wondered about how to tell the difference between the 2

The Ecores have an E at the end of the filter number. PF47 is a non-ecore, PF47E is a ecore.

As long as you aren't using an ecore one (bleh), Delcos are fine for non-extended drains. The non-ecore ones are Champion's basic filter.

First, congrats on the new Yukon--I thought they came standard with the 6.0 motor, but that is beside the point.
Our 04 Tahoe 5.3 has been very happy with whatever I have poured in or screwed on it--mainly Valvo Synpower & Puro 1's
No piston slap, start up rattle, ticks, or anything else-it's a good motor, although yours now has the alum block instead of the older design iron block
I do not think the LX exgine design is picky about anything!

I use them on my GM V8s. GM says they are good for one year or whenever the OLM indicates, good enough for me.
Not totally in love with fancy oil filters, myself. I've used them in the past, and have some in my present stash, but the value added just isn't really there for me, unless you are exceeding manufacturer change recommendations, IMO.

I can't seem to find non Ecore PF46s anymore. I have about 6 left, but I've started buying the Bosch filter when I get the oil deals at Autozone.

Steve20

The Yukon XL with AWD coms with the 6.0L. Also my 5.3L still has the iron block!
smile.gif
The pickup truck 5.3L have the Aluminum block. Glad to hear you don't have any engine noise troubles. I know some that do on their trucks. If I can get regular non-ecore PF48s I will stick with those. Otherwise it will be Mobil1, K&N, or Royal Purple at 2OCI intervals for me.

Kudos on the iron block I think the extra rigidity = less noises-a lot of complaints come from pu drivers now that I think of it. I learn something new everytime I visit this place!

IIRC I did the first oil & filter change at 2200 miles, then at 5K miles I use the OLM as a guide, sometimes going out to 7K miles in warm weather, but cutting it down to a max of 5K miles the other 6 months of the year--I always use syn
Here's to a long and happy future to you and the Yukon!

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i dont know if they still make non e core delco filters i stopped using them when they went to e core

A few of the filters are available without e-core. They are designated "classic" and some have CL at the end of the part number.

Originally Posted By: heavychevy96
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i dont know if they still make non e core delco filters i stopped using them when they went to e core

A few of the filters are available without e-core. They are designated "classic" and some have CL at the end of the part number.

You'll not find non e-cores at Wally's, but I've seen Classics at Advance, even recently.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

You'll not find non e-cores at Wally's, but I've seen Classics at Advance, even recently.

For my application Walmart has the PF48 in classic form. As a matter of fact I've never seen a PF48 Ecore. As long as I can get this filter for my Silverado at its current price point of around $4 I cannot see a better value for an OCI that isn't crazy long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back