AC blend doors vacuum or motors?

This is so silly, but my coworker and I had a fervent disagreement. He told me most cars today use vacuum to actuate the hvac blend doors. I told him he is out of his mind. HVAC blend doors use stepper motors to change the blend doors. Who is right? I can’t find obvious answers on a cursory search on google.

This is so silly, but my coworker and I had a fervent disagreement. He told me most cars today use vacuum to actuate the hvac blend doors. I told him he is out of his mind. HVAC blend doors use stepper motors to change the blend doors. Who is right? I can’t find obvious answers on a cursory search on google.
BMW has used stepper motors for a long long time.

Late model cars. He told me his 2020 Miata uses vacuum.

He needs to get better acquainted with his MX-5. This is the blend door actuator (with stepper motor) for a 2020 Miata.

1694468319584.jpg

In 2000 the Ram went electric (for temp only), giving birth the Heater Treater not long after. Before that it was cable, though.

People talk about "blend doors" but some mean temp, others mean direction of airflow, and some mean both.

I'd say vacuum for direction of airflow hung on longer. I think my '19 JL still uses vacuum for defrost/vent based upon weird whistling/groaning noises from the dash at altitude when I do anything with climate control.

Wouldn’t it be easy to check by changing hvac controls with the engine off? If hvac doesn’t respond to inputs, then it’s probably vacuum operated? Unless it has a vacuum pump, but vacuum pumps are so anachronistic!

Iirc our 90’s model hondas used vacuum. I’m pretty sure VWs did at some point. everything I have had this side of 00 has been electric.

correction. My 2006 tundra was neither - it was push-pull cable mechanical.

Back