2017 Canyon Denali blend door fun

Color me strange, but these are the kind of projects that I love. Something new, something that requires actual focus and effort vs. doing the same motions year after year. Apparently, this generation Colorado/Canyon are prone to blend door breakage where the actuator splines to the door itself. GM's original "repair" was to remove the actuator and (can't make this up" wrap a zip-tie around the shaft to hold it tight. This truck already had this so-called fix.

The job pays 10 hours, I started around 10am and called it quits at 4:30, which is what you see in the "together" photo. All in all, it wasn't that tough. Just LOTS of screws. I don't use power tools when doing trim work, every single fastener was R&R'd by hand.

2017 Canyon HVAC repair

@14Accent, you can work on my vehicles. Respect for doing that by hand. Your customers probably don’t realize the value there. I hope your employer appreciates you.

The kind words mean more than you know, so I thank you. I have no aversion to power tools, but the fact of the matter is... I don't care for them. Never have.

Don't get me wrong, I live and breathe by my trusty Mac 1/2" impact. However, I don't own a single battery powered tool. Not a ratchet, not an impact, not even a bit driver. I don't care what the job may be, I simply feel more comfortable trusting my senses.

Not saying they never break, but usually they are designed with a little more durability in mind.
Just sayin'

They really aren't. Just sayin'. They've made plenty of turds and most interior bits in pretty much every model feel like they're going to come off in your hand.

They ain't no different
I especially love those piston/oil control ring designs that are good for many hundred thousand miles before they gum up and burn oil.

Wait......

Nevermind..

@14Accent , better you than me. Pulling a dash would be a 'put the car on the sidelines for weeks' project. I don't think I could keep my brain engaged long enough to do it in a day!

They really aren't. Just sayin'. They've made plenty of turds and most interior bits in pretty much every model feel like they're going to come off in your hand.
your an idiot! can your chrysler or any domestic go 19 years with only a o2 sensor replaced? 03 tundra what about going 230 k with only a powerwindow motor and vvti selonoid replacement?04 highlander or go 150k with ZERO problems like our 2013 rav4?. the only people who knock toyotas are those who never owned them. also my 81 cressida i bought in 1990 and daily drove till 2017 never once left me stranded try that with a k car from 1981.

So, do you know if anything was improved on the replacement parts? Or is it just the same failure prone stuff that rolled out of the factory?

Awesome work as is your custom!

Unbelievable that something this (relatively) new breaks blend door actuators. I can see a 10yr/old vehicle, but 5? Ugh..

Back