About to buy a 4.6 mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im going to pick up a 2000 grand marq that requires 5/20. Whats the diff if i switch to Mobil-1 5/20 EP or 0/20 EP? Is there any mpg/protection difference between the two? Is Delvac ESP 5/40 too thick? The car only has 144k and is in good shape and no cam phasers to deal with.

Too thick? For all intensive purposes? Yes, absolutely. You'd get better MPG from thinner oils and they'd protect it absolutely fine.

As for 5/20 to 0/20 thats a [censored]. Given that you're in Ks (Kansas?) the benefits of 0/20 likely are immeasurable at best.

If you can get 0/20 for the same price as 5/20, by all means, but any additional cost isn't worth it.

aceite5w20motorcraft.jpg

Couldn't agree with Spazdog any more. 5W-20 MCSB will keep that Modular going down the road and very happy for a good long while.

motorcraft 5w20 is great oil but it is on the expensive side 5w20 is all that should be put into that engine.. you could get away with 5w30 in that one because of the mileage but 5w20 will protect better

I have a 2000 mustang gt. when it was still a 2v(like yours) I ran 30 and 40 grades. I've since learned that an oil that thick is simply overkill and the 4.6 will outlive the car using a 20 grade. So stick with a 20 grade and don't worry.
You get a bit of a bump in power and a slight win in fuel consumption.
I didn't know M1 made an EP 0w-20. Anyways they aren't hard on oil. If you are gonna use the EP get the most out of it and run it at least 10000 miles.
We have a member here running 10000 mile intervals with the AFE 0w-20 in his fords. So you should be fine at that mileage depending on if the engine is in a good state of tune.

Originally Posted By: Shooff82
Im going to pick up a 2000 grand marq that requires 5/20. Whats the diff if i switch to Mobil-1 5/20 EP or 0/20 EP? Is there any mpg/protection difference between the two? Is Delvac ESP 5/40 too thick? The car only has 144k and is in good shape and no cam phasers to deal with.

Although the difference is small the 0-20 is thinner than 5-20 and my 200k mile honda 2.0 can't handle it (rougher/more consumption/worse, yes worse mpg.) My experience is one grade up on a high mile car improves performance. Two grades up (M1 0-40) saw decreased mpg, increased consumption, and sluggish performance.

I had an Explorer with the 4.6 but didn't experiment with that one. If I were you I'd stick with 5-20 unless you have consumption then try 5-30. Remember though YMMV!

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
motorcraft 5w20 is great oil but it is on the expensive side 5w20 is all that should be put into that engine.. you could get away with 5w30 in that one because of the mileage but 5w20 will protect better

How will 5w20 protect it better? That engine will not notice the difference between 5w20 or 5w30. Those earlier tritons didnt care what oil was put in them. I just dont see the advantage of using heavier grades unless needed.

Any 0 or 5w-20 with a SM or SN rating will be fine, when changed at reasonable intervals. Just make sure you use the Motorcraft filter with the thread-end bypass. JMHO

Im going to pick up a 2000 grand marq that requires 5/20.
Clarification:

No 2000 Grand Marquis ever required 5W-20. Ford didn't switch to recommending 5W-20 until 2001.

Just an FYI,

My 4.6L powered F150 returned far better UOA results with Mobil 1 10W-30 than it did with any of the thinner oils. So, that's what I used.

I gave the truck to my brother at nearly 250,000 miles and it is now pushing 300K! It's in awesome shape and runs perfectly.

I would run some conventional or semi through it once to check any consumption issues before you go with synthetic.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Im going to pick up a 2000 grand marq that requires 5/20.
Clarification:

No 2000 Grand Marquis ever required 5W-20. Ford didn't switch to recommending 5W-20 until 2001.

5W30 year round.

Run a decent 5w-20 or 5w-30 in it, whichever your preference (the engine spec'd both depending on the year) at a reasonable interval with a Motorcraft filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back