About to buy a 2000 Camry Le with 2.2l 4 and 214k

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am about to go purchase this car, but have to look at it before I do a final decision. The guy mentioned the only issue the car has is a small oil leak. They never have to add oil to the car, but he is unsure where it's coming from. I can look at all the other stuff on cars as I am well aware what to look for (sludge, wrecks, etc). But wanted you guys input on what I should look for on this car and year?

Car has a total of 214k miles. Tires are all good still event though they are mixed matched. Pics are below of the car. Price is $3500 but hope to drop that. What oil should I run if I get this? Synthetic safe?

Here is some info he told me:

The front tires are Michelin the rear are Goodyear. Talked to my brother on vehicle maintenance history. Transmission was rebuilt at less than 100,000 miles. Original trans had an internal crack but was out of warranty. Spent $3000 to completely rebuild. Timing belt and water pump were replaced at 163,240 miles. Brakes last serviced at 163,176.
Car has been well maintained. Conoco customer history report through 175,665 miles. My daughter has oil change records from 175K thru 212K.
Vehicle has never been wrecked.

32822468733.353015086.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.565x376.jpg

32822468734.353015086.IM1.02.565x421_A.565x358.jpg

32822468735.353015086.IM1.03.565x421_A.565x363.jpg

32822468736.353015086.IM1.04.565x421_A.565x376.jpg

32822468737.353015086.IM1.05.565x421_A.565x376.jpg

32822468738.353015086.IM1.06.565x421_A.565x358.jpg

32822468739.353015086.IM1.07.565x421_A.565x376.jpg

32822468740.353015086.IM1.08.565x421_A.565x372.jpg

32822468741.353015086.IM1.09.565x421_A.565x376.jpg

So its in TX so no salt I assume. But it is a 13 yr old car. The rebuilt trans has 114K on it. The timing belt has 50K on it. Are these receipts or just what the guy says?

But typically Toyota Camry is a solid car.

Still a bit of a risk.

Doubtful he's getting that car for $2400 - it's a loaded LE with leather,roof, R Spoiler and alloys. Somebody will pay $3000 or more easy. Nice Camry's with a clean history go quick - clock is the only thing that's hurting it. It has another 200k left in it if babied, go for it if it drives out well - make sure tranny shifts good with no lag or flare.

I must be out of touch with prices. 14 years old 214K on the clock $3,500 ask seems high to me. I'd consider it at $2,000 or less, and even then its a risk as Donald said.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Doubtful he's getting that car for $2400 - it's a loaded LE with leather,roof, R Spoiler and alloys. Somebody will pay $3000 or more easy. Nice Camry's with a clean history go quick - clock is the only thing that's hurting it. It has another 200k left in it if babied, go for it if it drives out well - make sure tranny shifts good with no lag or flare.

I think your statement is a bit optimistic even for a Camry. You seriously expect a rebuilt transmission to last to 314K miles? If the transmission goes, you push the car to the bone yard.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: bigt61

I think your statement is a bit optimistic even for a Camry. You seriously expect a rebuilt transmission to last to 314K miles? If the transmission goes, you push the car to the bone yard.

+1

A car that age and milage needs to be put on a lift and checked out in detail. Ball joints, tie rod ends, rack, brake lines/junctions, axles, motor and trans mounts, struts, wheel bearings, etc are all suspect. With 50k since the last brake job, be sure to factor in that when negotiating. I'd say $2500-2800 unless another repair is needed after inspection.

Way too much. Doesnt the camry have a timing chain? Sounds like you might need to invest alot of work/time into it. Possible transmission issues, mismatched tires. The car looks well maintained but still..you are chancing it with this. You may have great luck, or it might b a money pit.

Also might be due for coolant flush, depending on what coolant was used at wp change. Hopefully records show brand and type.

Since they implemented that cash for clunkers a few years back, good dependable and rust free cars are hard to find under $3500.00 around these parts. Even though it does have 214,100 miles on it--like stated above, if shifts smooth and you can wiggle the price down a touch. Take it and run!! My Aunt has bought new Camrys every 3 years since 1991 including the one in my signature. Not one has not been a good riding,safe,reliable and well luved Camry up until her 2010 that she presently has and says is her last since she retired in 2009. Don't get me wrong, she has replaced a clutch,starter,timing belts,etc. over the years when needed on her first and my 1991. She religiously changes the oil at 3000 miles with PYB then & still to this day even with my 2cents involved. Good luck if you decide on purchasing the Camry! Its a sharp looking car with all the bells & whistles for that year!!

To include on my topic from above. My Aunt besides the 91 Camry that I own now has traded her Camrys every 3-4 years. I will never forget when I told her I put Mobil 1 10-40 High Mileage in it for the first time. She gave me this face like--"whats wrong with you kid!!" She luvs her Pennzoil!!!

If there are receipts, $2400 is fair.

No receipts, ~$2000 is fair.

If the body has never been in an accident, the oil is clean and the trans fluid is still reddish, I'd buy it.

The engine, on PYB, can go easily another 300,000 miles.

So if all as it appears it is a fair deal.

The main thing I'd have to say, for a guy with your experience, is to get it up on a lift and spend at least half an hour under the car making sure everything is sound.

I always look at a car and think it looks good. Then when I get it up in the air all is revealed. That is when I think to myself, "Man, if I can get this little beater off this guy for cheap I'd jump on it!"

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I must be out of touch with prices. 14 years old 214K on the clock $3,500 ask seems high to me. I'd consider it at $2,000 or less, and even then its a risk as Donald said.

+1, I was thinking 2k, 2.5k max. but that's just me, who can just walk away from it if it's a no-deal.

Is it just the shading of the pics, or is the rear bumper a bit of a different shade of white? Has it been wrecked?

FWIW, our old Camry (88 model) was still running at 355K with original transmission and engine. A rear main seal leak and other issues sent it to the salvage.

Originally Posted By: Curtis Newton
Is it just the shading of the pics, or is the rear bumper a bit of a different shade of white? Has it been wrecked?

FWIW, our old Camry (88 model) was still running at 355K with original transmission and engine. A rear main seal leak and other issues sent it to the salvage.

Just about every Camry of that generation I see on the road has a rear bumper with a slightly different shade of paint. I suspect it fades at different rates on plastic vs metal.

That is a decent chunk of money for a car with those miles. But honda and Toyota demand that premium. Honestly if it runs good and you can't find anything wrong after a detailed inspection. I would offer 2500 and probably not go more than 3,000 but car prices are insane now. My wife's old car is worth more than I paid now and I didn't pay a super cheap price. Car values are going up at least in the market. It's a little ridiculous. But 3,000 ain't a whole lot of money and if it yields you a reliable car keep it till its done. 3,000 isn't a lot for a good reliable car all things considered. If its a great car it's worth the extra little bit. Maybe not value wise but maybe in general if it is clean and reliable.

I would pay $2800 to $3200 if all checks out. IMO I would run a CarFax on it. Reliable unwrecked cars bring a premium these days.

What expectations do you have for the car? Is it a decent you need to rely on to get you work or something for your kid. Either way I would factor needed maintenance into the asking price and I would look hard at the condition my experience is people over estimate their cars ie fair cars are estimated as good ect...

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Way too much. Doesnt the camry have a timing chain? Sounds like you might need to invest alot of work/time into it. Possible transmission issues, mismatched tires. The car looks well maintained but still..you are chancing it with this. You may have great luck, or it might b a money pit.
Belt until 2002. I've got one with 300 on it. Tranny and engine, and all the front end parts original. I'm watcching it very closely but so far, (300 +) so good. When you see the price on a NEW loaded car in this class you know why the used ones hold their value, especially since the quality interior materials Toyota used don't leave you with a hanging headliner and cracked plastic all over the interior. I run "missmatched tires" all the time. The pair with the lowest slip angle go on the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back