AAP ball joints warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I got some new michelin ltx m/s2 for my explorer (NICE NICE) and after the alignment at firestone today, he said I will need new lower ball joints. He showed me the play in them which was quite a bit.

I do all my work on my cars and I put trw lowers on about 20k miles ago, with a lifetime warranty from advance. I just got back from advance to ask about it and they don't carry trw anymore, so they want to give me driveworks balljoints, the lowest quality ones they carry. Well its either those or moogs.
The trw's I have now have a lifetime warranty and the driveworks only have a year warranty. I'll be bringing my old ones in tomorrow so what should I do? I could try another store since there's like 10 around me. Should I demand a ball joint of equal or greater value or be happy I'm getting any at all? I hate being that guy making a scene but I've never warrantied anything there before.

I paid $29.99 for my trw lifetime ball joints
the driveworks they are trying to give me are $19.99(1yr)
So the other option is moog, $45.99(lifetime)

Thanks for the help guys.

Pay for the MOOGS, try and get some re imbursement from AAp for the trw's. Just avoid the cheap part.

Plug the Moog part number into google, you might find them at half price compared to any local AP store.

Hummm, why would they do an alignment when the lowers are shot??

BYW, do not put the Driveworks on any vehicle unless you are selling it.

I'd make a stink. Part of the reason you bought them before was the advertised warranty, so it is not unreasonable to expect some sort compromise. Replacing your life-time-warrantied part with a lesser quality part with a terrible warranty is not what I'd call a compromise...

Last edited:
Ok then I think what I'll try to do is just get a refund and buy the moogs at aap online with the 40% coupons. That makes it cheaper than what I paid for the trw's!

I am also curious what you are going to do about Firestone charging you for a front alignment that should have been post-poned until the faulty front end parts were replaced?

Call advance's headquarters, it could be "Webcare" if you can't find anyone else. See if you can flirt your way through with them, take names, and try again.

Driveworks/ OE is terrible.

Use Moog or better yet Dana/Spicer. Labor is too expensive to replace yellow metal Chinese parts that often!

I think Dana/Spicer only make axles now.

I think the suspension parts were bought by Affinia group who also market Mcquay Norris, and Raybestos.

I'd be very irritated if somebody charged me for an alignment then said I needed new ball Joints, which after installation, will require another alignment

Originally Posted By: justinf89
Yesterday I got some new michelin ltx m/s2 for my explorer (NICE NICE) and after the alignment at firestone today, he said I will need new lower ball joints. He showed me the play in them which was quite a bit.

I do all my work on my cars and I put trw lowers on about 20k miles ago, with a lifetime warranty from advance. I just got back from advance to ask about it and they don't carry trw anymore, so they want to give me driveworks balljoints, the lowest quality ones they carry. Well its either those or moogs.
The trw's I have now have a lifetime warranty and the driveworks only have a year warranty. I'll be bringing my old ones in tomorrow so what should I do? I could try another store since there's like 10 around me. Should I demand a ball joint of equal or greater value or be happy I'm getting any at all? I hate being that guy making a scene but I've never warrantied anything there before.

I paid $29.99 for my trw lifetime ball joints
the driveworks they are trying to give me are $19.99(1yr)
So the other option is moog, $45.99(lifetime)

Thanks for the help guys.

Try another Advance Auto store or tell those bozos to special order them for you. The TRW lower ball joints are still listed for $29.99 on their website for your Explorer. Tell them to reference Part No. 104222. Advance Auto is based out of Roanoke, VA, so they should be able to get them overnight. They still state "Limited Lifetime Warranty".

I recently put the Dana-Spicer ball joints in my Ford Ranger. You are correct in that they sold the steering/suspension parts division to Affinia which is now marketing them as the Raybestos brand. Readily available at all Carquest stores as their premium line. They appear to be of the highest quality and have durable polyurethane boots instead of rubber.

Wait, let me get this straight. You bought something with a LIFETIME warranty, and now that they dont carry them, they want to revoke your warranty, due to no fault of your own??!?

Id demand the moog parts with warranty as replacement. I wouldnt pay for the difference - not your problem that they stopped carrying the others.

Actually, Ill bet this is a scam put on by anyone with a "lifetime" warranty part... Just change brand names with the same part and revoke warranty. Lots of people taken for rides that way.

If they can't get the exact part you had before they should give you what they got with a lifetime warranty. It isn't your fault they stopped carrying them and you shouldnt be punished for their stupidity of getting rid of that line of parts. And as far as the allignment I would demand Money back. They should have given the vehicle a look over before doing an alligmment. So make them give you quality parts and if they can't give you the same they should give you better not worse that's bad business. And no allignment should be done without checking and varifying the suspension is solid. Go glass high up as you have to but don't take any [censored]

Agree with the others. The original product you were given had a lifetime warranty. The replacement product should carry the same. Not your fault they dropped the line you bought.

When I had a AAP clutch master cylinder go out after 6 mo, the store manager was kind enough to let me *return* it AND the slave cylinder I had done at the same time. I told him I no longer trusted their store brand for such a critical component. But he was an exceptional guy and, of course, got promoted. Maybe they will give you a full refund -- it's amazing... these guys have to know that they are selling total garbage to their loyal customers.

Ok well i just wanted to give you guys an update. I went to another store yesterday with the bad balljoints in hand and they gave me a cash refund. I then went outside and ordered the moogs onlinie with a $35 coupon off $85.

Heck after the coupon i got the moogs cheaper than i paid for the trw in store. I can confirm that the trws are made my federal mougal because it was written on the top

Overall im pretty happy and wont be going back to the original store anytime aoon.

Originally Posted By: justinf89
I then went outside and ordered the moogs onlinie with a $35 coupon off $85.

What is the country of origin of the Moogs? I think some of their parts are now made in Mexico.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back