A video on the chemistry of boundary lubrication

That was nearly 10 years ago.
As much as she said things change in tribology, makes one wonder how much of that video is now obsolete?

My novice assessment is she was describing the work being that has only recently bore fruit for low viscosity lubricants now starting to finally come out. For me, it helped to put into perspective how the boundary lubrication regime is not necessarily a bad place to be as long as you have the right lubricant in the right place. Of course, I'm not going to apply it, since my trade off is more towards the long term longevity versus a small (to me) savings in fuel due to lower internal friction.

I think a big take away from about 99% of BITOGers who actually watch the entire 1 hour video will be ... Don't mess with your oil chemistry.
Many so-called additives are a swag shot of guesses bottled up from decades of shade-tree mechanic mythology.
Any modern lube is very well constructed (both in base stocks and add-packs). The boutique oils, even more so.
Quoting her regarding automotive oils:
"Today's base stocks are so good, ... extremely well made, it gets down to the additive packages that are used to supplement the base stock."

I do disagree with a few of her statements about the general automotive lube industry. She generalizes a bit too much for me.

Last edited:
Enjoyed the video. Found it informative.

My takeaway is likely different from others here. I work for an innovator and recognize it immediately. She and her predecessors developed an understanding that likely did not, or does not exist anywhere else in the world. As is the case with so much of western innovation, we conceive, develop, engineer and construct nearly all that exists. Others then take our hard earned knowledge and run with it.

Back