TACA flight 110- fascinating video for a Sunday morning

I remember a discussion of jet engine materials in a lower division materials science class. I thought the prof said that they tossed a frozen chicken or turkey in testing. I was thinking an engine was supposed to be able to withstand that, but he might have said it was to see if the aftermath can be contained, even if the engine fails. And he might not have said frozen either. This is one of those things where I’m sure I’ve changed parts of the story.
They fire frozen birds into the engine using a “chicken gun” that uses compressed air. Not sure if it’s KFC or where they get them🤔

Last edited:
They fire frozen birds into the engine using a “chicken gun” that uses compressed air. Not sure if it’s KFC or where they get them🤔

There's a Wikipedia article on the "chicken gun".

That being said, I really don't think a jet engine could handle a frozen bird. It would be like shooting a cannonball. That would clearly destroy a jet engine. But a refrigerated chicken might be more realistic in simulating a bird strike. There are some claims that DoD testing has included frozen chickens on the premise that they'll be an even tougher test, although I don't think it represents a realistic threat.

There's a Wikipedia article on the "chicken gun".

That being said, I really don't think a jet engine could handle a frozen bird. It would be like shooting a cannonball. That would clearly destroy a jet engine. But a refrigerated chicken might be more realistic in simulating a bird strike. There are some claims that DoD testing has included frozen chickens on the premise that they'll be an even tougher test, although I don't think it represents a realistic threat.
I think you’re correct, maybe they aren’t frozen.

The unfrozen birds that hit Sully’s engines destroyed them but there were more than one.

Remember, the engines have to pass the hail ingestion test and GE says they put 1 ton of manufactured hail into the engine and it didn’t destroy it. Not sure how big the hail was but you can get very large hail.

Last edited:
I think you’re correct, maybe they aren’t frozen.

The unfrozen birds that hit Sully’s engines destroyed them but there were more than one.

I'd dealt with frozen chickens and turkeys. They most definitely can do a lot of damage.

Apparently there are "artificial birds" used by some, but obviously it's easy enough to get real poultry complete with feathers. I found this, which refers to a lot of different conditions, including a "LARGE FLOCKING BIRD INGESTION TEST".

Back