A Reason to Buy Premium Fuel

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I was at my tire shop this morning fine-tuning my recent wheel balancing. While waiting, I thumbed through an auto racing magazine and came across this article. Forgive the poor quality of the pic. It was taken with the magazine balanced on my lap in poor light.

Premium Fuel.jpg

Not true anymore with the advent of top tier, which requires the same detergents in all grades of gasoline :unsure:

There is a difference in some race fuels over street pump gas. OTOH, F1 uses gas that is 99% similar to Shell V-Power. In fact, F1 cars can actually run on pump gas, though of course they'd have to use premium and not regular.

Yeah, it’s a good article until the last paragraph when it turns into a Sunoco commercial. Their Optima is a 95 octane race fuel that not too many of us need in our DDs.
I would think that Mobil, Shell or any top tier 91 or 93 octane would be on par with Sunoco.

That's more of a sales pitch for optima fuel.
Ditto, seems more like a sales pitch for a specific fuel. For the daily driven car, fuel oxidation won't be a problem as fuel is consumed before oxidation makes it unusable.

For a infrequently used high performance car, it might make sense if the puffery turns out to have any bit of truth in it.

At about $75 for a 5 gallon pail, I think I could find a more cost effective solution to address oxidation than a $15/gallon fuel.

Ditto, seems more like a sales pitch for a specific fuel. For the daily driven car, fuel oxidation won't be a problem as fuel is consumed before oxidation makes it unusable.

For a infrequently used high performance car, it might make sense if the puffery turns out to have any bit of truth in it.

At about $75 for a 5 gallon pail, I think I could find a more cost effective solution to address oxidation than a $15/gallon fuel.
Exactly. I considered buying some to have stored on hand for generator use. But not at that price.

I put whatever the manufacturer says to put in it and don't give it another thought. Luckily for now my vehicle only require 87.

My 2.4l kia only requires 87...but the car runs substantially better on 89 or higher, especially during city driving and constant accel. With a compression ratio of 11.3:1, the car doesnt feel as gimped with the higher octane. I have run 91, but with gas prices this high 89 is the cost choice. If i can hit costco at off hours, ill get 91 but screw waiting in line for gas. The cash price for 89 is basically the same at the local sinclair.

My 2.4l kia only requires 87...but the car runs substantially better on 89 or higher, especially during city driving and constant accel. With a compression ratio of 11.3:1, the car doesnt feel as gimped with the higher octane. I have run 91, but with gas prices this high 89 is the cost choice. If i can hit costco at off hours, ill get 91 but screw waiting in line for gas. The cash price for 89 is basically the same at the local sinclair.
Have you tried any 88 octane E15

Back