A question about Costco gas additives

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I've been reading that some gasoline brands use more or more powerful detergents in their higher octane fuels than in their regular-grade fuels. Does anyone know if Costco does likewise?

The link seems to be dead, but there was a great ppt that explained the entire process Costco uses. Same additives go into all octanes.

There's a whole, rather large thread about Costco gas and how they inject extra (?) additives into it at the pump!
I thought I knew all about gasoline, but I learned a few things from this thread. If I can find it, I'll post a link.

I can't answer your question, specifically, but I do have a little tidbit I'd pass along.

The last time I took my Wife's Volvo to the Dealership for service (last Summer), my service advisor said they had received a memo from Volvo corporate to advise customers to NOT use Costco gas. He said he couldn't remember the specific reason(s) WHY Volvo corporate was telling them...but he did remember that Costco gas was one of the specific brands to avoid. He recommended Shell, Exxon/Mobil and/or Chevron.

???

For what that's worth, I just thought I'd pass along his comments.

Ed

I can't answer your question, specifically, but I do have a little tidbit I'd pass along.

The last time I took my Wife's Volvo to the Dealership for service (last Summer), my service advisor said they had received a memo from Volvo corporate to advise customers to NOT use Costco gas. He said he couldn't remember the specific reason(s) WHY Volvo corporate was telling them...but he did remember that Costco gas was one of the specific brands to avoid. He recommended Shell, Exxon/Mobil and/or Chevron.

???

For what that's worth, I just thought I'd pass along his comments.

Ed
Meanwhile I have seen more expensive and higher performance vehicles at Costco than Volvos could ever hope to be....getting fuel....nationwide.
The Service Advisor is full of garbage.

I've been reading that some gasoline brands use more or more powerful detergents in their higher octane fuels than in their regular-grade fuels. Does anyone know if Costco does likewise?
Costco doses their gas at the pumps. Other brands typically dose at the terminal. Some data sheets have been posted around the internet which indicated changes in dosage as the only difference between regular and premium.

Costco doses their gas at the pumps. Other brands typically dose at the terminal. Some data sheets have been posted around the internet which indicated changes in dosage as the only difference between regular and premium.
I found an email address that Costco uses to respond to questions about their fuel. I sent off a request for information just a few moments ago. I'll post whatever response I get. FYI:

[email protected]

Meanwhile I have seen more expensive and higher performance vehicles at Costco than Volvos could ever hope to be....getting fuel....nationwide.
The Service Advisor is full of garbage.

"Meanwhile I have seen more expensive and higher performance vehicles at Costco than Volvos could ever hope to be....getting fuel....nationwide." Big deal. What does the price of the vehicle have to do with anything?

I buy Costco gas because it's one of the least expensive in my area and I happen to be buying groceries as well.

The service advisor might be full of garbage, but I doubt he's a liar. I'm just passing on what I was told.

Ed

I found an email address that Costco uses to respond to questions about their fuel. I sent off a request for information just a few moments ago. I'll post whatever response I get. FYI:
Very curious if you'll get a useless, canned response or something with actual useful information.

[email protected]
I just now received a response from Costco. While it seems "canned" it does address my question. I have no issue with a standard response designed to address many more common issues. It can allow for a quick response and saves the customer service rep the time needed to compose individual messages. Here's the response and I've enhanced the answer to my question.
====================================

Dear Sheldon,

Thank you for your inquiry about Kirkland Signature Gasoline!

Our Kirkland Signature detergent additive package is independently registered with the EPA. The Top Tier program is administered by General Motors, and supported by several other automakers such as Toyota, Honda, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, VW, Fiat Chrysler, Audi and Ford. Kirkland Signature Gasoline at Costco is listed as a licensed brand at: www.toptiergas.com

In order to qualify for Top Tier an additive must contain about three times the EPA detergent requirement. Costco's Kirkland Signature Gasoline additive dosage is about five times the requirement, which provided the most optimal cleaning impact during our engine testing.

Kirkland Signature Gasoline has been certified to meet Top Tier performance standards and is available, in equal dosages, at all Costco U.S. and Canadian gas stations in both regular and premium grades. Read more about fuel quality at the following:

Please let us know if you have additional questions.

Sincerely,

Mandi Jackson
Costco Wholesale | 999 Lake Drive | Issaquah, WA | 98027
www.costco.com : Kirkland Signature Gasoline

"Meanwhile I have seen more expensive and higher performance vehicles at Costco than Volvos could ever hope to be....getting fuel....nationwide." Big deal. What does the price of the vehicle have to do with anything?

I buy Costco gas because it's one of the least expensive in my area and I happen to be buying groceries as well.

The service advisor might be full of garbage, but I doubt he's a liar. I'm just passing on what I was told.

Ed
You know....it wouldn't be the first time (even for a "near luxury brand" ) that a service advisor was less than stellar-to put it mildly. There is another point here-most Costco gas stations get multiple deliveries a day of fuel-they pump THAT MUCH. With that kind of volume...with that fuel going in to ALL TYPES of vehicles-if there were issues they would be popping up EVERYWHERE. See-where is the logic...

I just now received a response from Costco. While it seems "canned" it does address my question. I have no issue with a standard response designed to address many more common issues. It can allow for a quick response and saves the customer service rep the time needed to compose individual messages. Here's the response and I've enhanced the answer to my question.
====================================

Dear Sheldon,

Thank you for your inquiry about Kirkland Signature Gasoline!

Our Kirkland Signature detergent additive package is independently registered with the EPA. The Top Tier program is administered by General Motors, and supported by several other automakers such as Toyota, Honda, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, VW, Fiat Chrysler, Audi and Ford. Kirkland Signature Gasoline at Costco is listed as a licensed brand at: www.toptiergas.com

In order to qualify for Top Tier an additive must contain about three times the EPA detergent requirement. Costco's Kirkland Signature Gasoline additive dosage is about five times the requirement, which provided the most optimal cleaning impact during our engine testing.

Kirkland Signature Gasoline has been certified to meet Top Tier performance standards and is available, in equal dosages, at all Costco U.S. and Canadian gas stations in both regular and premium grades. Read more about fuel quality at the following:

Please let us know if you have additional questions.

Sincerely,

Mandi Jackson
Costco Wholesale | 999 Lake Drive | Issaquah, WA | 98027
www.costco.com : Kirkland Signature Gasoline

Yea-but apparently not good enough for Volvos-even though they are listed as being "supportive" of the whole program. I would really like to see the memo from Volvo cooperate on this...if it's real.

Last edited:
One could make the argument that this process generates a higher likelihood for error.

It was not addressed.
Yea-in theory. But just like the "wrong oil" that BITOGers lay awake at night worrying about (from a "quickie oil change place)-1 tank of improperly mixed detergent in fuel will not harm your car...period.
One stuck open oil filter bypass valve for one OCI will not either.

Back