A new topic: a proposal, for Terry, Bob, Mole, et al

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

I can find no data about engine oil related failures. This either tells me tis rare or no one cares. However, I can find data to predict, 'taurus transmission failure' so it seems there are people who do track catastrophic failures. Im not saying the data does not exist, or its huge, but Im pretty confident everyone would agree with the premise of my statement. Oil failures just dont occur with any regularity.

And I can't find any data on hemaphrodite grasshoppers, but does that mean they don't exist, or does anyone care?

If you're defining engine failures due to oil sludging, then there is data on that. But I think that overextended oil drains AND engine design had a lot to do with that problem in some Toyotas and Durangos.

Do I go out and buy life insurance because I fear death, no. I want to protect my family and investments for them in years to come.

I have stated that if one changes some of the better dinos at 3-5k, then one's engine wear will be less and I think most people would agree. Going beyond that drain interval with dinos, I wouldn't do so without oil analysis. The other alternative is to simply drive blind and do oil changes every 3K.

I really don't think that causes of engine failures have been tracked that well, if any. I know quite a few people who buy used cars, run the cars, and when the engine fails, put another engine in it without ever determining cause f engine failure. Had they done UOA's and used good oils, they might have prevented that.

I think 3M's test has shown that even Mobil 1, a full synthetic, can go the distance (extended drain intervals), which I believe has been proven. I think he's going with Amsoil next, so that should be interesting.

quote:

With that said, I ask, do you fear catastophic oil failure or premature wear?

I don't fear either one because I use UOA's to tell me when the oil is no longer protecting and if there is a pending failure, such as unusual bearing or a cylinder, crankshaft or whathaveyou wear. A UOA is like a good insurance policy, it helps me protect my investment.

I do however fear crappy workmanship and poor QA, for example, a stress fracture in a conn rod or bad materials for valve stem seals, which has happened to me. But neither the best oil nor the best UOA can prevent a catastrophic faiulre waiting to happen. But good record keeping about oil changes and UOA's could certainly help me present my case for replacement of an engine for said failures.

got_boost,

Terry is also a member of the Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers, or the S.T.L.E., as are quite a few other members here on this board.

The STLE publications are great for increasing one's knowledge of tribilogy (wear) and lubrication, in which many of us are interested.

I have not sat for a CLS test if thats the cert you are alluding to. I'm so darn busy working tribologically speaking, haven't had the time.

Nor do I think I need the Cert to validate my qualifications or get the proverbial foot in the door. At least not recently.

I was invited on 2/8/01 by Ward O.Winer Ph.D, of the Georgia Tech, George Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering to be a oil analysis representative, "based on your background experience and expertise", as a delegation member in a People to People Ambassador delegation to China.
Didn't choose to go but I was honored to be asked. Concerns about CHICOM Tanks being made to run better ,etc !!

Dr.Ward is well respected in tribological circles.

I think George our resident MOBIL Rep is a CLS.

I'm sure many others here are.

Please don't use my services if that is an issue.

[ July 19, 2003, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: Terry ]

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:

I think George our resident MOBIL Rep is a CLS.

I'm sure many others here are.

Please don't use my services if that is an issue.

Oh no not that at all, its just in my online research as I find out stuff it was curious to see who took the education/experience to pass the accredation. (Heck even I joined the IEEE and ACM before I had accredation)

Dunno who this george is or if he responded to any of the threads, but I wonder if he could expand on the statements I attributed to Bob Miller?

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
got_boost,

Terry is also a member of the Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers, or the S.T.L.E., as are quite a few other members here on this board.

The STLE publications are great for increasing one's knowledge of tribilogy (wear) and lubrication, in which many of us are interested.

I find today its as easy to joining the STLE as it is submitting a credit card over the web. However, certification.....do we have anyone here who took the exam and who is actually certified by the STLE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back