A new silicone tire sealant stops nails in their tracks

I wonder if this is outside or inside the belt. Seems like these new tires could cover a lot of damage that would normally cause a tire to go flat. I wonder if more frequent inspections would be recommended.

Saw this and looked for these tires to replace my run flats (eventually). Not only are they not available just yet. This same tread pattern IS available though, but they are more of an "aggressive All Season" tire, and I suspect that they may be too noisy for the MB.

I think I will look for a "next generation" run flat. I DO like the sealant idea though.

Sealant has been available since the 1970's. Repeatedly advertised as the next great thing. Never caught on. I don't understand why because it works so well and has no downside. Puzzling!
Downside might be the cost. Anyhow, I would not expect that "sealant" to last forever. I'd want to remove that nail. I have no idea exactly how I would know that there was something to remove.

My father had these Goodyear Double Eagle tires installed in 1967.

I don't think the commercial itself would be appropriate for today's world.

I wonder why we're not seeing them on production autos?...
I owned a 2020 Ford Explorer Platinum that came with self-sealing tires:

Don't know if that's the only vehicle that came from the factory with these, but I never had an issue with them during the two years I owned it.

I wonder if it’s not used because tire sealant has ammonia in it. And perhaps it would ruin aluminum and tire pressure sensors? Either way, even if the formula didn’t contain ammonia, there would still be cause for concern when dealing with tire pressure monitors.

No, sealed tyres aren't run flats. The sealed tyres don't lose air pressure after a puncture, the run flats can be used with less or no pressure for a while.

It should be possible to have sealed run flats aswell.

Back