A little MPG speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, this isn't any hardcore scientific data, but I'd just like to tell what I've seen.

My mamaw has a 2000 Buick Park Avenue with the 3.8 V6. It has had Castrol GTX 10W-30 ran in it all of its life. She doesn't drive a whole lot, it is now finally reaching a little over 50,000 miles.

With the Castrol GTX 10W-30, the MPG display would always return an easy to achieve 32-33 mpg when highway driving. ALWAYS. Didn't matter whether 55mph or 75mph. It'd get no less than 32, and no more than 33mpg after 30-45 minutes of driving a particular trip to a hospital I'd have to take her to. I never use cruise control, I don't like how it makes it gear down, etc. I get better mpg with my own foot and brain.

Anyways, I realized when I changed her oil last, she went 1 year and only 2200 miles. I decided to switch her to a synthetic. Well... I'm a Rotella-T Synthetic 5W-40 fan. I've seen it do excellent in everything it's ever been in. I run it in everything myself. Lawnmower, 4-stroke weed eater, my 5.0 in my truck, the 2.4 4 banger in my wife's Eclipse. I know it's a long lasting oil, so I put it in the Buick.

Surprisingly, the MPG on the display still gets exactly the same results. I figured going from GTX @ 10cst to RTS @ a rated 15.5 cst (although UOA's show 13.5ish most of the time), it might lose a little gas mileage. Nope, still gets exactly the same.

Oil pressure has always been high in this car. After a long drive, the lowest the pressure will go is 32-34psi @ 700RPM in drive at a stop. Now it's more along the lines of 40psi, not that it needed a boost.

Just figured I'd post that, to my own human eye, no MPG loss was saw going from GTX 30 weight to a thick HDEO 40 weight.

Oh, and besides the fact that she's a low mileage, long term OCI person, I also wanted to use something a little thicker with a stronger TBN because she does lots of short trips. It's controversial, I know, because it's a thicker oil, but at the same time, her oil smells like pure gasoline. I actually think I can see a thin layer of gasoline sitting on top of the oil on the dipstick. I attribute it to her half mile trips every other day and her very light foot driving. I know gas really eats away at TBN, so I feel safer with an HDEO under these conditions for 1 year OCI's.

Some questions: I realize that your not doing anything scientific but,

1)After each fillup, does the MPG display get cleared so that it can start clean again?

2)Have you or mamaw done any actual MPG calculations? (Miles driven/gallons used)?

I reset the MPG once I hit the highway and am going a steady 55mph or so. This is only for highway MPG. It will usually average 22mpg with her driving it around our roads and hills.

I've never done it with pencil and paper, and that's kind of why I stressed that it's only on the built in MPG average on the display. I don't know exactly how accurate that is, but I'd guess it's pretty consistent.

Also, I should add, it always has BP 87 octane in it.

The true difference is likely 0.2-0.5%. This is a very small number and may not be discernable in your use. In detailed analysis, it is real.

While it doesn't make a real difference to your use, a half a gallon of fuel over an oil change, times the hundred million vehicles on the road, starts to add up...

Yeah, I was just saying that to my human eye, no difference can be seen. I almost expected the average to go down to 30.5-31 mpg, but it still read the same. It was peace of mind for me to have no discernible difference.

Makes me wonder if a 0W-20 and and a 15W-50 would show any discernible difference in this car.

In my '03 Buick PA, the same car and same engine as your mother's, that Driver's Information Center MPG readout is generally about 10% higher than the calculator method yields. The same is generally true for the gallons used readout. Yesterday, when I gassed up at my usual station, the readout said 13.0 gallons used; I pumped in 14.3 before the handle clicked off. Readout for overall mileage was 22 mpg and a bit more; yesterday's calculation was 20.57.

The point is, I guess, if you're using the readout alone each time, then it probably would be consistent.

This means that engine has very low internal friction. If you were to do a comparison, but force the transmission to stay in 3rd so RPM is higher, there should be a significant difference between thick and thin oil.

The only ever "official" number I've ever seen on viscosity versus fuel economy is on the tsb ford sent out when the made the change to 5-20 from 5-30. It states an average .6% improvement in fuel economy from the change.

You'd have to be a better nerd than me to notice that, and obviously if you only have two significant digits you never will. Still, over a 5000 mile OCI it could be over a gallon of gas.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
In my '03 Buick PA, the same car and same engine as your mother's, that Driver's Information Center MPG readout is generally about 10% higher than the calculator method yields. The same is generally true for the gallons used readout. Yesterday, when I gassed up at my usual station, the readout said 13.0 gallons used; I pumped in 14.3 before the handle clicked off. Readout for overall mileage was 22 mpg and a bit more; yesterday's calculation was 20.57.

The point is, I guess, if you're using the readout alone each time, then it probably would be consistent.

the 10% difference is probably just a deviation because the exact amount to refill can vary. Being the two numbers are as close as they are, that would lead me to believe the in car trip computer is pretty accurate.

Those drivetrains keep the RPMs very low (just above idling really) when you're cruising on the highway. With such low revs, the compound increase of oil drag barely registers with the thicker oil. If the engine turned 3200rpm at 65, instead of like 1500rpm (or less), you'd more than likely see a discernable hit on fuel consumption, but this engine cruises at no real appreciable speed to make oil drag a factor IMO. GM's long term key to MPG success.. huge cubes, a lump of low end torque and crazy over/final drive ratios. What can I say, it works.

OP said: "With the Castrol GTX 10W-30, the MPG display would always return an easy to achieve 32-33 mpg when highway driving. ALWAYS. Didn't matter whether 55mph or 75mph. It'd get no less than 32, and no more than 33mpg"

He did not say "never less than 22"

Originally Posted By: froggy81500
Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral

the 10% difference is probably just a deviation because the exact amount to refill can vary. Being the two numbers are as close as they are, that would lead me to believe the in car trip computer is pretty accurate.

Oh, it's not wildly off, but it has been pretty consistent in that 10% variation over the two years I've had the car. For the last six months I've been gassing up at the same station, same grade of gas, same pump (with rare exceptions), and I've always seen this 10% variation.

I'd love to believe that the car is actually getting the DIC readout's value of MPG, and that it's actually consumed only the DIC's value for gallons used!

Well,getting the same mpg at 55 or 70 is wrong om it's face. Maybe he needs to thump the guage a few times to un stick it.

Not necessarily. Maybe if you are talking about a 4 banger, but these Buicks do 1500RPM at 55mph and maybe 1900-2000RPM at 70mph. And you can tell they are 'tuned' to get good mileage below 3000RPM.

On the other hand, if you are in your average 4 banger, 55mph might be 2000RPM, while 70 mph will be pushing 3000RPM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back