A good dino that can go 7500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
The W just means it's been tested to pump in cold weather. For your location, yea, I'd just run 10w-30 in the winter, and maybe 15w-40 in the hot summer, or a monograde 30 or 40 weight in the summer. With your driving conditions, you should be able to go 7500 miles, but get a oil analysis just to make sure. The Delo in those conditions should handle it no problem. What model of veheicle?

On a side note, does anyone know where to get 10w-30 delo, or any other heavy duty 10w-30?

Generally, as long as you dont make many short trips where the engine & oil dont get up to full operating temperature, nearly any API certified oil should last for 7500 miles. That is what most manufacturers recommend.

The manuals for the two vehicles I drive call for 7.500 mi. oil change intervals of normal driving (which mine is) with any API rated oil of proper viscosity. Surely the makers of the engines knew what proper OCI should be. No mention is made of synthetics, although I have used them.

quote:

Originally posted by krholm:
The manuals for the two vehicles I drive call for 7.500 mi. oil change intervals of normal driving (which mine is) with any API rated oil of proper viscosity. Surely the makers of the engines knew what proper OCI should be. No mention is made of synthetics, although I have used them.

You should tell that to the 97-01 2.2 and 3.0 toyota owners.
rolleyes.gif

quote:

The manufacturer's recommendations aren't there to help you get 300,000 miles out of your engine though. A lot of them specify longer intervals just so that customers feel they are getting a more "maintenance free" car. Hence the 100k spark plugs, no service trannies, etc.

So the longer intervals with dino oil don't mean the manufacturer thinks the engine will last a long time with that recipe. It last longer than their warranty period for sure, which is really all they care about.

I'll tell you guys if my engine dies of an oil related failure. I run dino to 5000 miles, unfortunately the garage(a great mechanic there) uses Mobil Drive Clean. Anyway I have nearly clicked to 200,000 miles and have no engine issues, acutally really no issues with the car. I never warm it up unless I scrape the windshield, drive 2 minutes albiet accelerating slowly then right up to 75-80 MPH on highway. Also another nail in the preverbial coffin is that it used Valvoline for a good portion of its life. Its a 95 Civic.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

The manufacturer's recommendations aren't there to help you get 300,000 miles out of your engine though. A lot of them specify longer intervals just so that customers feel they are getting a more "maintenance free" car. Hence the 100k spark plugs, no service trannies, etc.

So the longer intervals with dino oil don't mean the manufacturer thinks the engine will last a long time with that recipe. It last longer than their warranty period for sure, which is really all they care about.

Another bullseye by Patman! "Who'd a guessed"
grin.gif

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back