A good 75w90 GL-5 for a MANUAL trans

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.warrenunilube.com/gearoils.html

Warren's Coastal GL-5 Gear Oil says "Limited Slip applications for top-off only." which indicates a minimal or no amount of LS additives. It has EP additives of course or it wouldn't pass GL-5.

I might actually look at this Coastal 75W90 dino for my Subaru's gearbox, because it requires GL-5 due to the hypoid front diff residing inside the gearbox but don't really want LS friction modifiers in the gearbox.

Originally Posted By: VW_TDI_PD
Heres the deal--- I replaced the factory manual trans fluid in my 97 corolla at about 110k. I used a 50/50 mix of redline MTL and MT-90, and i am NOT satisfied at all... Pretty bad shifting.

The owners manual specs 75w90 GL-4 OR GL-5. Someone here mentioned the factory fill was GL5 75w90, and it pretty much works the best in this application, dino, not synthetic

So, can anyone suggest a DINO 75w-90 GL5 that isnt overly additized with limited slip additives? Would a plain jane napa or coastal fluid work? Or I think I saw valvoline having one too...

Mazda guys swear by Motorcraft synthetic manual trnasmission fluid from Ford dealers but it's about $17-$20 a quart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back