1985 Sentra manual tranmission fluid?

The manual specifies GL-4 gear fluid with different grades depending on the operating temps. Would a modern fluid like Valvoline 75W-90 with limited slip additive work okay? I'm not sure if the limited slip is a good or bad thing for this transmission. Also, Valvoline is GL-5 but it does say on the bottle that it is recommended for transmissions that call out GL-4.
2023-05-20 08_24_32-Valvoline Flex Fill SAE 75W-90 Full Synthetic Gear Oil 1 QT Squeeze Pouch ...jpg

The manual specifies GL-4 gear fluid with different grades depending on the operating temps. Would a modern fluid like Valvoline 75W-90 with limited slip additive work okay? I'm not sure if the limited slip is a good or bad thing for this transmission. Also, Valvoline is GL-5 but it does say on the bottle that it is recommended for transmissions that call out GL-4.
Absolutely not !

Absolutely not !
I don't have an answer to your question, but I do see that the Valvoline says it's for non-synchronized manual transmissions. Your transmission has synchronizers.
Thanks, guys. Does Walmart sell something that would work? I know very little about gear oil. Just want to replace the fluid in this baby with something that's compatible. I don't really see any GL-4 lubes on the shelf there.

Thanks, guys. Does Walmart sell something that would work? I know very little about gear oil. Just want to replace the fluid in this baby with something that's compatible. I don't really see any GL-4 lubes on the shelf there.
Not that I have seen. Proper GL-4 MT lube is not readily available in discount stores.

@MolaKule posted this list a couple years ago:

A Example List of MTLs in the 14-15 cSt (SAE 75W90) range would be:

1. Amsoil MTG
2. Redline MT-90
3. Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75W-90
4. Castrol Syntrans Transaxle 75w-90
5. Ford XT-75W90-QGT (Carries a GL-5 rating as well)
6. Ford MOTORCRAFT® Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid XT-M5-QS
7. ACDelco 10-4059 GL-4 75W-90 Manual Transmission Fluid
8. RAVENOL TSG SAE 75W-9
9. LIQUIMOLY 75W-90 GL4
10. PENNZOIL 75W90 GL-4
11. MOTUL GEAR 300 GL-4/GL-5 (PRODUCT NUMBER 100118)

A GL5 lube is for the differential, and not most manual transmissions. Why? It's too slippery and the synchros won't work properly.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!

nope!

Some O'Reilly stores carry Redline MT-90 :unsure:

Another option is Triax Synergy Gear MT 75w90. Also available on Amazon.

Back