A Beginner At Reloading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow

Powder scales, and a set of lee dippers.

Weigh every charge for the .223 and use the scoops for the .44.

The dippers are convenient and can be repeatable IF they are used consistently and correctly.

Many folks want to use them like a spoon. The outside is barrel shaped for a reason-you should push them base first into the powder and let the powder fill in over the top. They then need a gentle "tap" to level the top.

Also, bear in mind that you should verify the load they actually throw, and do it a bunch of times. The included chart is close, but powder can vary somewhat lot to lot. Also, using a powder with larger flakes like Unique or the "dot" powders with the small volume scoops is a recipe for disaster. Fine powders like Bullseye do meter more consistently at small volumes. 2400 and Win 296 flow like water, but you shouldn't be using small weights of those.

BTW, I have a spreadsheet where I tested the repeatability of different powders with different cavities in the Lee Auto Disk. I reference it in preference to the Lee tables since I know it's correct for my set-up and also tells me the smallest cavity I can use and get repeatable results. The whole experiment was prompted by a sqib in 32 S&W Long, and I realized that at what was supposed to be 2.5gr of Unique I could get anywhere from 1.8 to 3.5gr. I actually quit reloading 32 S&W Long after that happened as it scared me and I shoot so little of it that I can afford to buy it(plus the small cases are difficult to handle). My 32 caliber handgun reloading is limited to 32-20 and 327 Magnum.

.357 Sig is probably one of the hardest handgun rounds to reload, especially compared to .40S&W or .45ACP. However, I’ve figured it out. You can use a .40 carbide die to resize the cases without having to lube them. The neck sizer doesn’t need lube, usually. Even when I use the .357 steel dies, I only have to lube every second or third case. Always use truncated cone or hollow point bullets, round nose will not work. Ask me how I know.
grin.gif

I do use the Lee Auto-Disk, but with the adjustable charge bar. That way I can get charges exact, and not worry about having the right cavity. I still check it every few rounds, but it’s never more than a tenth of a grain off.

Last edited:
The RCBS kit is really nice.

A less expensive option to get started is the Lee Challenger Anniversary kit. You can get it for around $150 and it has basically everything you need except caliber specific dies and a tumbler to clean your brass.

Originally Posted By: Crispysea
.357 Sig is probably one of the hardest handgun rounds to reload, especially compared to .40S&W or .45ACP.
Why? All bottle necked cartridges require an extra step versus straight-walled, but other than that it is the same. You have to either use bullets designed for .357SIG or truncated 9MM bullets so there is enough bearing surface to grab and maintain OAL.

As calibers go, it’s not the hardest to load, but it’s less forgiving than straight-walled rounds. I had problems with headspacing. It’s a common problem with bottleneck rounds. I got a Lee Factory Crimp Die and the headspace problems were gone.

Originally Posted By: Crispysea
As calibers go, it’s not the hardest to load, but it’s less forgiving than straight-walled rounds. I had problems with headspacing. It’s a common problem with bottleneck rounds. I got a Lee Factory Crimp Die and the headspace problems were gone.
I have not ever had problems with headspacing, but I acknowledge it can be an issue if the dies are not set properly. .357SIG does not require a lot of crimp--in fact too much crimp can have the opposite effect.

I haven't had any issues loading .357 Sig. It being difficult to load has been blown all out of proportion.

Originally Posted By: hatt
I haven't had any issues loading .357 Sig. It being difficult to load has been blown all out of proportion.

Agreed.

I must have reloaded a hundred K rounds with my dillon progressive - pay attention to setup use a known set of tools, and pay attention to what you are doing.

I didn't have any problems.

UD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back