a '17 Accord CVT's issue

I ran into an issue with my CVT; Yesterday after the work, when I hit a road and within 2mnts I got an alert on my dashboard, the very first time

IMG_3066.jpeg

I pulled to the side, shut it off and stepped out of the car; I popped the hood, went under the car and nothing out of ordinary, no burning smell, no leaks; I got to say maybe in past 20 days i've noticed a somewhat change in CVT mode/shiffting; I could sense it being my daily but not an average Joe I'd say. I managed to replicate the problem and here is the image from this morning. I scanned the car with my basic OBD and no codes shown for it. I shut off the car again, wait few moments and the error message was gone.

so Honda people, before I go to the dealer I want to get some insight on what it may be an issue here

the car has 68K miles at the moment and I changed drain and fill CVT fluid at 30K and again at 60K miles

Help and Thank You

That's just a regular info when you pull the lever into drive position; normally it displays D however last night and this morning it looked just like that, notifying something is wrong i'd say

Right now, no error message

Reactions: JTK
That's just a regular info when you pull the lever into drive position; normally it displays D however last night and this morning it looked just like that, notifying something is wrong i'd say

Right now, no error message

I wonder if that's the cause of the "transmission system problem" warning.

It doesn't know what gear is selected.

I know in Nissan world, specifically with the Versa, some of the CVT electronics share the same circuit as the tail lamps. If you have a bad bulb socket or connection back there, it freaks the gear range sensor out, which in turn confuses the CVT. You will see goofy PRNDL indications that being the case w/ Nissans.

I wonder if that's the cause of the "transmission system problem" warning.

It doesn't know what gear is selected.

I know in Nissan world, specifically with the Versa, some of the CVT electronics share the same circuit as the tail lamps. If you have a bad bulb socket or connection back there, it freaks the gear range sensor out, which in turn confuses the CVT. You will see goofy PRNDL indications that being the case w/ Nissans.
its related of course

but the car shifs just fine, just a minor change that I can only feel; like I mentioned I picked on it in past 20days so just a hair before ECU for example

That's weird. Not lights or anything now huh? I was never a fan of CVTs. But, when my dad brought his Accord back in 2013, I was 14~ years old and did not have much knowledge of CVTs or I would've told him to go for the 6-speed
I have my theory where is it coming from, but I wanted to hear other opinions

Because nobody should be having issues with a 2017 accord.

How many miles?

Have you pulled codes from even a generic OBD scanner?

What is the fluid level and service history?
Im babying the car as well as my '16 CRV; no codes pulled by OBD reader

I guess I'd see if I could repeat the jumbled up PRNDL indications or combination of events that lead to it.

Transmission range sensor problem?

Low system voltage (bad battery, etc)?

What other components share the same circuitry..

Like you say, drop it a Honda dealer, if they see no codes or obvious symptoms, it will have to sit until they do.

I doubt this is a mechanical problem with the CVT itself.

I guess I'd see if I could repeat the jumbled up PRNDL indications or combination of events that lead to it.

Transmission range sensor problem?

Low system voltage (bad battery, etc)?

What other components share the same circuitry..

Like you say, drop it a Honda dealer, if they see no codes or obvious symptoms, it will have to sit until they do.

I doubt this is a mechanical problem with the CVT itself.
Ill drop the car in the morning at a local Honda; I was wondering if one shares the same experience, I wanted to be informed before I go there

and perhaps, cancel the appt :D

Reactions: JTK
Back