'99 Taurus PS pump whine

Car only has 65,000 miles. I put in a Motorcraft reman pump in March because it had an aftermarket pump that was leaking bad. Pump was quiet after that but recently it has started again making noise when turning the wheel in parking lot maneuvers. Also it has a leak from some other point such that I can smell and see smoke as the fluid hits something hot like a manifold or exhaust. Haven't been underneath yet to investigate. Would fluid leaking out somewhere also allow air into the system causing the whine? Would anything mechanical with the rack cause a whine?

When it runs out of fluid it will whine and grind the leak might be causing that depends on how big it is. I’m not too sure about it letting air in if that would affect it or not.

With the engine running, shine a flashlight into the reservoir and see if there are any air bubbles in the fluid. If there are you will probably see them come out of the return, into the reservoir, and get sucked right back in. This air in the system will cause it to be noisy.

Did you use the correct fluid? Not sure how picky these are.

I can’t see a loss of fluid causing an issue assuming it wasn’t ran dry.

Back