98 Whirlpool Washer, Fix or Replace?

I wanted to replace the shock absorbers in my older GE front loaders so they would vibrate less. Wife wanted new machines. Can you guess the outcome? We got new machines. Wife is happy.
The wife decided she wanted her kitchen done first.. the biggest $$$ pieces left are the quartz counter and back splash. Maybe we'll give them one of the boys someday like the cars 😆

Thinking this is turning into a waste of time and money.. The clip for the brake cam is non-existent. No idea where it went and I've never seen one around under or around it. Most likely that was the issue since the clutch looked ok. Sounds worse that before since the brake cam isn't stuck in place now. Guess I'll order those parts. Probably should of just got a new set.

Last edited:
So a update because I hate when posters don't follow up.. I think it's fixed. As you can see the bearing below it was shot, wonder how long the clip hasn't been on there. I've never seen one anywhere. Wasn't too hard to knock it out and replace. Ordered from the wrong place it seems, took them 5 days to ship it, and there's one place I'm not going to order from again. I'll have a spare bearing I guess. Thanks for the tips on the agitator it's now working.. clothes might be cleaner than they've always been 😆

washer1.jpg

washer2.jpg

So a update because I hate when posters don't follow up.. I think it's fixed. As you can see the bearing below it was shot, wonder how long the clip hasn't been on there. I've never seen one anywhere. Wasn't too hard to knock it out and replace. Ordered from the wrong place it seems, took them 5 days to ship it, and there's one place I'm not going to order from again. I'll have a spare bearing I guess. Thanks for the tips on the agitator it's now working.. clothes might be cleaner than they've always been 😆

View attachment 136206
View attachment 136207
Good job!

Thanks for the update. Care to tell us who it is that you will not order from?
I would but they haven't shipped the part yet. I will say that's my only complaint, shouldn't take 5 days to ship a part out. They were quick to recognize the mistake and get it setup. They have a lot of complaints about it, I unfortunately looked it up after the fact.

In all my years I have never seen that bearing wear out. Missing clip either. Freak failure or updated brake cam replaced previously with a bad install of the clip.
Unless it was wrong from the factory no one else has worked on it so no idea. Others have had this failure and there's a tube video or two on it, that's how I figured it out. The part is readily available and pretty cheap since I think the dryer uses the same part. Probably has been that way for a long time.

Since it was bumped.. DO NOT order from ApplianceParts365. They still haven't shipped the correct part. I'm holding on to the wrong part for 5 days.. or till they ship it.

Last edited:
Unless it was wrong from the factory no one else has worked on it so no idea. Others have had this failure and there's a tube video or two on it, that's how I figured it out. The part is readily available and pretty cheap since I think the dryer uses the same part. Probably has been that way for a long time.

Since it was bumped.. DO NOT order from ApplianceParts365. They still haven't shipped the correct part. I'm holding on to the wrong part for 5 days.. or till they ship it.
Thanks again.

Back