98 Whirlpool Washer, Fix or Replace?

One thing I always question is the reviews some people leave. Hard to believe there's that many out there but squeaking wheel is always the noisiest. Probably 2x users have no issues you never hear off.

Looking at front loaders out of curiosity. We could stack those and keep our old frig. A lot of bad reviews. Had some friends with them and it's spilt.

One thing I always question is the reviews some people leave. Hard to believe there's that many out there but squeaking wheel is always the noisiest. Probably 2x users have no issues you never hear off.

Looking at front loaders out of curiosity. We could stack those and keep our old frig. A lot of bad reviews. Had some friends with them and it's spilt.

I already have my next washer picked out. It's going to be the Speed Queen TC5003WN.

NFM does have a Speedqueen set for around $2k and it has crossed my mind. They have a 25 year warranty.. but my thought was since this set is 24-25 years do we really need it?

I'd say that if you are going to spend a grand, you may as well spend the extra and have a piece that can potentially get you that kind of longevity.
I bought a new Maytag set when I bought my house in October, 1993.
They were top of the line at that time. The set was over 1K at that time.
I managed to get the washer as a scratch/dent piece at a $200. discount, which put me at $900, for the set.
I got 23 years out of the washer. Only thing I ever did to it was put a belt on it.
I'd still be using it if the lower tub hadn't rusted out (and I could have found one.)
The dryer is still working flawlessly.
You will be hard pressed to find that kind of quality today.
We replaced it with a Maytag Bravos. We are not impressed.
I considered the SQ, but the closest dealer at the time was 50 miles away.
When I finally saw one, the fact that they are so low capacity was an issue for me.
If I had a do over, I'd look at that industrial grade Maytag that was posted in the clip.
With that one, someone might have a shot at some clean clothes.

Try to answer everyone but lots of good points...

We've never used fabric softener so that must be from gma and the 10 years they had it.

Sometimes I wish I was a normal person and just toss it and go. But in reality both are worn out doing at least 6 loads a week. It's always been out of balance.. it can dance and makes a lot of noise in the process. Final decision not going to mess with it, already have one problem child and it's red with 4 wheels.

Not interested in the new front loaders blah blah. To many control panels, mold etc from friends and what I've read.

I've read similar reports on the Speed Queen.. also they can be hard on clothes.

Not set 100% on Whirlpool as Lowes has Midea and Maytag.. absolute no way on Amana. Those clear doors on pretty cool on models a little more, adulting lol.

I've been told by a number of repairmen to stay away from the front loaders because they are trouble prone.
As far as brands, you probably are best served staying with one of the Whirlpool brands (Maytag/Amana are only two of them.)
It's not that the machines are any better, it is the fact that they have the best parts network, and parts have much better availability (verified this through the same repairman.)
I'd recommend one of the more basic units, and stay away from electronics if possible.

The coupler I replaced 2-5 years ago and seems ok. Good point on the agitator, I know the bottom agitates but don't think the top piece does. Not sure if it ever has or if it's broke.
When the top agitator doesn’t agitate replace the four “dog legs”. I get about 3 years out of a set before they’re chewed smooth. Just need a long extension for your socket.

If you buy Speed Queen, you need to buy their TC model NOT TR.
The TC is their classic wash model which is the old school agitator.
The TR agitator is not moving just the tub.
At least that is my understanding.

I have a 1994 Whirlpool that is still running although the reaction time is slower.
For example, when changing to spin cycle, it hums for a minute or two before starting the cycle.
So I am still waiting to get new one.
The “hum for a minute or two before spinning” is intentional. It is the pump draining water from the tub. Spinning a tub full of water and clothes is another piece broken in the transmission, and will quickly over stress the motor coupler and break it.

The new ones are junk. We bought a new GE washer and dryer when we built our house 6 years ago. Every time I wash a decent sized load of laundry that SOB sounds like it’s going to die when it gets to the spin cycle. By the way, we just had to replace the Whirlpool Gold French door refrigerator we bought at the same time

We, my wife and I, purchased a Whirlpool washer and dryer set in early 1999 and they both are still going strong. The only repairs on the washer required in over 20 years of ownership were a new timer, a new water level sensor, and the 4 "dog legs" for the top agitator all of which I did using Whirlpool parts sourced over the internet. My wife's opinion, as well as mine, is to keep fixing the set as needed because the parts are easily obtained, quite affordable, and they are easy to replace.

A couple of my neighbors have the newer and more modern washers and dryers, and they are always complaining about them breaking down, and they all wish they could go back to the more reliable Whirlpool/Kenmore machines of 20 years ago.

The new ones are junk. We bought a new GE washer and dryer when we built our house 6 years ago. Every time I wash a decent sized load of laundry that SOB sounds like it’s going to die when it gets to the spin cycle. By the way, we just had to replace the Whirlpool Gold French door refrigerator we bought at the same time
The 98 Whirlpool sounds like that on any load. All the springs are there guess their just weak. Our 5-6 year old LG side by side is working fine despite our fears it wouldn't last long. I do clean it every year. The stainless steel is horrible to clean though.

When the top agitator doesn’t agitate replace the four “dog legs”. I get about 3 years out of a set before they’re chewed smooth. Just need a long extension for your socket.
Hmm I pulled that out the other day checking things and I don't recall seeing any. I might take it apart again out of curiosity.

Ordered the clutch, coupler with metal insert and the agitator dogs. I bet the agitator hasn't worked in 10 years. $21 total. Ordered from McCombs which apparently I ordered both the water inlet and coupler from last time in 2018. So far have spent $46 on this washer and got it free.

Your mileage may vary with the metal insert version of the coupler but one I tried was extremely hard to get onto the motor shaft, broke eventually with use, and was a SOB to get back off the motor shaft. If you have problems pushing it completely onto the shaft I suggest you stop and use a different coupler.

I've settled on either the regular coupler or one that looks like it is made from the sidewall of a radial tire. Also, I keep asking my wife to not overload the washer. I think frequent broken couplers can be a sign of some overload downstream from the coupler. I think I'm getting 5-7 years out of one now but I'm not waiting until they're completely broken anymore. The replacement is easy enough I just inspect/replace after several years. The holes are pretty hollowed out by then.

We have a Speed Queen like the above my wife bought , in my opinion it doesn't clean very good.

Ordered the clutch, coupler with metal insert and the agitator dogs. I bet the agitator hasn't worked in 10 years. $21 total. Ordered from McCombs which apparently I ordered both the water inlet and coupler from last time in 2018. So far have spent $46 on this washer and got it free.
Good deal. Keep that old dog running as long as you can. Drive parts are still available, mechanical timers are becoming an issue as most are NLA anymore. Whirlpool, Maytag or if the need for high end Kitchen Aid only in my house.
Retired 46 year onsite Sears tech advise.

So far have spent $46 on this washer and got it free.
You're still in for less than the $50 I paid for our first washing machine (used) when my wife and I set up housekeeping. That was about 33 years ago. We used it until we bought a home and the previous owners left the washer and dryer. I think I was able to sell the used one for the $50. I had in it after a couple years use. I think it was along about 2004-05 the one that came with the house wore out and at that time we bought a new Maytag Performa set and I'm still using it. Since my wife passed away in 8/22 I don't have to wash more than 1-2 loads of clothes a week so it may last me the rest of my life.

Your mileage may vary with the metal insert version of the coupler but one I tried was extremely hard to get onto the motor shaft, broke eventually with use, and was a SOB to get back off the motor shaft. If you have problems pushing it completely onto the shaft I suggest you stop and use a different coupler.

I've settled on either the regular coupler or one that looks like it is made from the sidewall of a radial tire. Also, I keep asking my wife to not overload the washer. I think frequent broken couplers can be a sign of some overload downstream from the coupler. I think I'm getting 5-7 years out of one now but I'm not waiting until they're completely broken anymore. The replacement is easy enough I just inspect/replace after several years. The holes are pretty hollowed out by then.
The last coupler was replaced in 2018 so it lasted 20 years, the last 10 harder than the first. Maybe that fluke but based on that 5-7 years sounds like there's other issues. I only got since I figured since I was in there. It might be perfect. If I can find my anti-seize I'll put a dab on.

Excessive coupler wear is from regular overloading. I've seen the metal insert updated couplers get egg shaped in the centers also.
Coupler is the safety valve in the direct drive washer. No belt to slip and ''give'' like in the old days. There are plastic gears in the trans. also.

Nebraska Furniture Mart in KC has two Whirlpools for $618 and $623 top loaders. Recommend you look at the 42 washers available there. We have always had good luck with Whirlpool washers.
There is a fallacy in that statement because new Whirlpool washers are probably not built the same as the ones you have had good luck with. Maybe built in Mexico now, who knows. Things are always changing in manufacturing as they try and manufacturer machines for the least cost as they can to sell for a certain cost point. Competition is always a factor.

I wanted to replace the shock absorbers in my older GE front loaders so they would vibrate less. Wife wanted new machines. Can you guess the outcome? We got new machines. Wife is happy.

Excessive coupler wear is from regular overloading. I've seen the metal insert updated couplers get egg shaped in the centers also.
Coupler is the safety valve in the direct drive washer. No belt to slip and ''give'' like in the old days. There are plastic gears in the trans. also.
I always made sure not to cram clothes in, and told the boys the same. Just put the clothes in loosely. Maybe that's why it lasted so long.

Back