98 Whirlpool Washer, Fix or Replace?

I saw that video and unfortunately the maytag commercial home setup can't fit down our stairs! 1952 home. But that's what I would want "if" I had to buy new. I even get a discount through work I never really looked it, and found it to be legit.

Can anyone say why those high efficiency washers use more detergent? On liquid detergent, their measuring line is much higher than for conventional...

I'd scrap it to switch to a front loader if you're looking to save water, energy, or wear on clothes.

If none of that bothers you, fix it.

A new clutch with thd right tools is an easy fix. I replaced a few of these when I did apartment maintenance. Simple green and one of those non-scratch blue scrubby pads and your back in business.

I'd say it's time to replace. Recommend a GE or Whirlpool/Maytag top loader for reasons listed above.

I had a 1997 Whirlpool top loader that I replaced in 2021, rather than repair the worn out lid switch. I replaced it with a new GE top loader model that has a better satisfaction rating than most of the current Whirlpool models.

If you buy Speed Queen, you need to buy their TC model NOT TR.
The TC is their classic wash model which is the old school agitator.
The TR agitator is not moving just the tub.
At least that is my understanding.

I have a 1994 Whirlpool that is still running although the reaction time is slower.
For example, when changing to spin cycle, it hums for a minute or two before starting the cycle.
So I am still waiting to get new one.

Wrong

I had a 1997 Whirlpool top loader that I replaced in 2021, rather than repair the worn out lid switch. I replaced it with a new GE top loader model that has a better satisfaction rating than most of the current Whirlpool models.
Many of the current GE top loaders have a deep fill button which is nice.

No. He’s right. The TR series is the new style washer introduced in 2018 that just basically swishes the clothes around. It does not have a transmission.

The TC series (TC-5) gives you the classic style agitation and has a traditional transmission. It’s built very similar to the 2017 model, except it’s computer controlled instead of a timer.

The scum on the tub often comes from fabric softener or just using too much detergent. Fabric softener is like pouring Elmers glue into a washing machine. They make tablets the help clean washing machine tubs that work pretty well
+1. The sludge built into the center agitator was from the fabric softener. In my FL LGs, I use much less to help reducde build up.

Try to answer everyone but lots of good points...

We've never used fabric softener so that must be from gma and the 10 years they had it.

Sometimes I wish I was a normal person and just toss it and go. But in reality both are worn out doing at least 6 loads a week. It's always been out of balance.. it can dance and makes a lot of noise in the process. Final decision not going to mess with it, already have one problem child and it's red with 4 wheels.

Not interested in the new front loaders blah blah. To many control panels, mold etc from friends and what I've read.

I've read similar reports on the Speed Queen.. also they can be hard on clothes.

Not set 100% on Whirlpool as Lowes has Midea and Maytag.. absolute no way on Amana. Those clear doors on pretty cool on models a little more, adulting lol.

I urge to to reconsider. Fix it. They don't build them like they used to, and the newer ones are not made to be repaired like the older ones were. As long as the motor and transmission are still good, you can keep it running for many more years. Additionally, the newer top loaders don't get your cloths nearly as clean as the older top loaders did.

I'd repair the old machine. I've got a Maytag Performa set that I think was bought around 2005. Probably 5-10 years ago the motor started making a lot of noise and the pump started leaking at the same time. I debated whether to buy a new machine or fix the old one. I started checking around and as I remember a new pump was under $20. and I found a used motor from a person who repairs/resells appliances for $50 as I remember. The machine has worked great ever since. Newer appliances are not as good as the older models. My son and his wife have worn out at least one newer machine and maybe two since I repaired my older model. I think my freezer was bought in 1991 and still works great. My mom just replaced her freezer last week that was bought in 2007 so mine has lasted twice as long and still counting. I think it was when I was thinking about replacing my washer that the person at the appliance store told me ~6 years was the average life of newer washers.

Try to answer everyone but lots of good points...

We've never used fabric softener so that must be from gma and the 10 years they had it.

Sometimes I wish I was a normal person and just toss it and go. But in reality both are worn out doing at least 6 loads a week. It's always been out of balance.. it can dance and makes a lot of noise in the process. Final decision not going to mess with it, already have one problem child and it's red with 4 wheels.

Not interested in the new front loaders blah blah. To many control panels, mold etc from friends and what I've read.

I've read similar reports on the Speed Queen.. also they can be hard on clothes.

Not set 100% on Whirlpool as Lowes has Midea and Maytag.. absolute no way on Amana. Those clear doors on pretty cool on models a little more, adulting lol.
Amana is the Whirlpool budget line. Their top loader has a 3.5 cubic foot capacity. That’s just slightly more than Speed Queen.
I don’t buy into the “they don’t make them like they used to” rhetoric. I have a 20 year old GE top loader. When it goes out, I’ll buy another GE or Maytag.
My former Whirlpool (similar to your model) only lasted four years.

Amana is the Whirlpool budget line. Their top loader has a 3.5 cubic foot capacity. That’s just slightly more than Speed Queen.
I don’t buy into the “they don’t make them like they used to” rhetoric. I have a 20 year old GE top loader. When it goes out, I’ll buy another GE or Maytag.
My former Whirlpool (similar to your model) only lasted four years.

20 years ago people were saying they don't make them like they used to. It's a $600 washing machine, hardly anything worth thinking too much about. Even if you get 10 years out of it that's an amortization of $5/mo.

I have one of those. Direct Drive Whirlpool. It's a great washer and easy to service. Right now it leaks because it needs new basket drive seals and bushings. It's out in the garage on a concrete pad. I keep a mop nearby.

20 years ago people were saying they don't make them like they used to. It's a $600 washing machine, hardly anything worth thinking too much about. Even if you get 10 years out of it that's an amortization of $5/mo.
Exactly. There are too many things that factor into the life of a major appliance. There will be lemons in every brand. More use will reduce the lifespan. Overloading a washer takes it’s toll.

Back