98 V70-Yeah, I know I said some things about them...

Messages
1,101
Location
NC
Originally Posted by Astro14
So, since he already bought the Volvo... Let me say that the CRV is a reliable old...dog. Makes every merge exciting... every uphill, too... I think he did well with his Volvo...
Read his message right above mine. He did not buy that Volvo. Which is why I wrote that message suggesting a CRV.
 
Messages
601
Location
Earth
If a wagon isn't a must have and you already know Lexus products what about looking for an early GX470 on the cheap? Pre 2005 didn't have VVT and is non interference which makes having a timing belt much less of an issue.
 

Lolvoguy

Thread starter
Messages
3,899
Location
Canada
Originally Posted by Vladiator
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
To get to and from the rental workspace, I'll need something that can haul tools etc.
Based on this criteria alone I'd recommend checking a first generation (97-01) Honda CR-V. Manual with AWD is fun. Surprisingly good in snow and mud, and hauls a good bit inside. If it has OEM roof rails, then a roof basket from Amazon (I got one for $75 there) will increase your utility even more. It's definitely more of an econobox, unlike the plush volvo, but this thing is cheap to get, cheap to own, cheap to fix, parts are plentiful (at least in Southeast US) and there are not many things in this world that can compare to winding out a b-series Honda engine. Reliable fun without breaking the bank (or the speed limit), and good bit of comfort and utility. Just my couple pennies...
Actually, it's funny you mention the CR-V. I'm still looking at alternatives to a truck, and the mini-SUV has popped up on my radar. I have done a bit of research, and they seem to be well received, despite their age/mileage. Also far more fuel efficient than the small trucks I've been considering. thumbsup
 
Messages
1,101
Location
NC
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by Vladiator
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
To get to and from the rental workspace, I'll need something that can haul tools etc.
Based on this criteria alone I'd recommend checking a first generation (97-01) Honda CR-V. Manual with AWD is fun. Surprisingly good in snow and mud, and hauls a good bit inside. If it has OEM roof rails, then a roof basket from Amazon (I got one for $75 there) will increase your utility even more. It's definitely more of an econobox, unlike the plush volvo, but this thing is cheap to get, cheap to own, cheap to fix, parts are plentiful (at least in Southeast US) and there are not many things in this world that can compare to winding out a b-series Honda engine. Reliable fun without breaking the bank (or the speed limit), and good bit of comfort and utility. Just my couple pennies...
Actually, it's funny you mention the CR-V. I'm still looking at alternatives to a truck, and the mini-SUV has popped up on my radar. I have done a bit of research, and they seem to be well received, despite their age/mileage. Also far more fuel efficient than the small trucks I've been considering. thumbsup
They just work well, and also look great whether lowered or lifted. I used to be in the "lowered" camp, but as I'm getting older the "lifted" team definitely calls my name more. Luckily the CRV can do both without an issue. A truly universal vehicle.
 

Astro14

Staff member
Messages
12,037
Location
Virginia Beach
Originally Posted by Vladiator
Originally Posted by Astro14
So, since he already bought the Volvo... Let me say that the CRV is a reliable old...dog. Makes every merge exciting... every uphill, too... I think he did well with his Volvo...
Read his message right above mine. He did not buy that Volvo. Which is why I wrote that message suggesting a CRV.
Ah, you're right! He was considering. I thought he had bought it. Still, having driven both, I would take the Volvo, hands down, every time. It's fun to drive, and handles well and rides well. The CRV is a slug. Slow. Really slow. Handling is meh. Practical, reliable, sure, but ugh...an appliance on the road...
 
Messages
1,101
Location
NC
Originally Posted by Astro14
Originally Posted by Vladiator
Originally Posted by Astro14
So, since he already bought the Volvo... Let me say that the CRV is a reliable old...dog. Makes every merge exciting... every uphill, too... I think he did well with his Volvo...
Read his message right above mine. He did not buy that Volvo. Which is why I wrote that message suggesting a CRV.
Ah, you're right! He was considering. I thought he had bought it. Still, having driven both, I would take the Volvo, hands down, every time. It's fun to drive, and handles well and rides well. The CRV is a slug. Slow. Really slow. Handling is meh. Practical, reliable, sure, but ugh...an appliance on the road...
Yea, it's not fast by any means... But for the price of a window motor on Volvo he can buy an engine or transmission, or any other major part on a CRV. I even know people who bought complete rust-free CR-Vs for $300-$500, just gotta be on the lookout for those constantly, as they sell quick. I doubt the naturally aspirated Volvo above is much faster than a CR-V. T5? yes. N/A 5 cyl? It will be closer than many think... Thing is just cheap and reliable, that's my whole point. I got a 2010 Volvo XC70 with 3.2L, but I'd never take it to the offroad areas that I take my CR-V to. Simply because if something happens - repair bill will be much higher, and it's easier to fix the CR-V with regular tool set, than a Volvo. Volvo is our comfy cruiser. Hard to find a car that is as good on the highway, in any weather, as the Volvo is. But for everything else there is the CRV - Comfortable Runabout Vehicle, as some say.
 
Messages
5,570
Location
New Zealand
I had the choice between a CRV with a blown headgasket and an 850 T5 that needed a radiator for the same price - so happy I chose the Volvo. The Honda is just so boring I'd be in danger of falling asleep at the wheel.
 
Messages
1,101
Location
NC
Originally Posted by Silk
I had the choice between a CRV with a blown headgasket and an 850 T5 that needed a radiator for the same price - so happy I chose the Volvo. The Honda is just so boring I'd be in danger of falling asleep at the wheel.
To each his own I guess. I'm definitely more of a "Rather drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow" type of guy, so I guess that's what draws me to the CR-V more. But can't ignore the fact that there are a lot of T5 XC70s and XC90s available for sale lately, at very attractive prices...
 

Lolvoguy

Thread starter
Messages
3,899
Location
Canada
Originally Posted by Vladiator
[quote=Silk] But can't ignore the fact that there are a lot of T5 XC70s and XC90s available for sale lately, at very attractive prices...
Trust me you'll end up paying more, one way or another. It's a matter of how you choose your poison.
 
Top